Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juhi2011 Posts: 91, Reputation: 4

Jan 12, 2009, 04:16 AM
    Need urgent review and a good suggestion !
    I am telling you about my friend, Please read it carefully.

My friend is getting married to a boy next month. He is very rich but very egoistic. She was engaged a month back and since then she realizes that the guy she is engaged to is not a correct choice. My friend is very joyful in nature and opposite is her fiancée.
    The family is very good. On the other hand she also likes a guy who is her friend but wants to get married to her. I feel that though she says she loves him I feel that she is only running away from her fiancée. Moreover she belongs to a eastern culture where marriges is a blend of family more than the girl and the boy. She spoke to her parents about this but no one ready to break the engagement and get her married to her friend from either side. What shall she do.
    1) leave her friend and marry the one to whom she has got engaged?
    2) marry the one she loves, opposing everyone.
    3) marry none?

In the second case the parents will be hurted badly.

Please suggest!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 05:10 AM

What nation and culture is this ?

Was it an arranged marriage ?

Jan 12, 2009, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    What nation and culture is this ?

Was it an arranged marriage ?
    Indian culture, yes its an arrange marrige
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 05:45 AM

If you don't want to marry someone, then don't do it. This isn't something that should be taken lightly. Easy for me to say, as I don't live in that type of culture.

I am not sure what options she has considering the culture and her religion.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 09:30 AM

When conflicted, it better to step back, and give some serious thought to what she really wants for herself.

Her choice, as she is the one to live the life SHE chooses.

She better find out what she wants before she makes such a life changing decision.

Jan 12, 2009, 09:06 PM

But what about parents then. Shall she neglect their feelings and think about her own life only?
    Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 09:32 PM

She should consider whatever she thinks is important. It may be different in India, but I can only give you an American perspective. Does she have no options? If not why consider anything other than what is allowed in your culture? What choices does she have??

Jan 12, 2009, 09:39 PM

Accept her fiancée, she is having a friend who likes her want to get marry to her. But the problem is that he is not financially stable nor the families are supporting for marrige. Moreover I feel that she is inclined towards her friend in order to get rid of her fiancée.
    Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 10:42 PM
    I am unclear as to whether she can make this choice, as aren't there consequences for not going along with her parents choice.?

Jan 13, 2009, 02:07 AM

Can anyone suggets
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2009, 02:41 AM

We need to know, as Talaniman asked. Are there other consequences for her actions, other than disappointing her family? Has she sat down and discussed her reservations about their choice of a husband that they've made for her? I have a sense that this has a lot to do with the fiance's money. I don't know a lot about Indian customs. I'm assuming the family is Muslim? What are the consequences if she refuses to marry this man?

Jan 13, 2009, 03:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    We need to know, as Talaniman asked. Are there other consequences for her actions, other than disappointing her family?
    No she is not left with any of the option.

Has she sat down and discussed her reservations about their choice of a husband that they've made for her?
    The boy to whom she is getting married was completely of her choice but after talking to him she realised that she cannot be with him.

I have a sense that this has alot to do with the fiance's money. I don't know alot about Indian customs. I'm assuming the family is Muslim?
    It's not a muslim rather a 'hindu' family.

What are the consequences if she refuses to marry this man?
    Consequences will be that her parents will be heartbroken badly.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2009, 04:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by juhi2011 View Post
    Consequences will be that her parents will be heartbroken badly.
    In that case, I think she should sit down with her family and discuss how heartbroken she may be if she marries someone that she doesn't love. If her family loves her and trust her decisions, maybe they will do the right thing. She shouldn't marry a man that she doesn't love, and isn't willing to spend the rest of her life with. Her parents may be upset at first, but I'm sure they would want the best for their daughter and her happiness. Your friend needs to have a long, open and honest talk with her parents. All you can do is be there to support her. She's lucky to have a friend that is looking out for her!
    Dare81 Posts: 264, Reputation: 44

Jan 13, 2009, 04:48 AM

If the parents are SANE people, which most people are and if she really does not want to marry this guy, she should sit down her parents and talk to her. I am sure they will understand. I am from Pakistan and I know what kind of cultural problem she is going to be facing.I had a couple of female cousins who broke off there engagements because they could not see them getting married to the guy. SO they talked to there parents and told them if we get married its going to end up in a divorce,

Jan 13, 2009, 04:52 AM

I don't know a lot about Indian customs. I'm assuming the family is Muslim? What are the consequences if she refuses to marry this man?

Arranged marriage is an Indian custom followed by the people in the subcontinent ( hindu, muslims christians , budhist alike ,) It is not a Islamic custom

Jan 13, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dare81 View Post
    I don't know alot about Indian customs. I'm assuming the family is Muslim?
    Family is hindu
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2009, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dare81 View Post
    I don't know alot about Indian customs. I'm assuming the family is Muslim? What are the consequences if she refuses to marry this man?

Arranged marriage is an Indian custom followed by the people in the subcontinent ( hindu, muslims christians , budhist alike ,) It is not a Islamic custom
    Yes, this has already been cleared up. Please read the other postings.
    Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 06:14 AM

She should have a talk with her parents.

Jan 13, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    Yes, this has already been cleared up. Please read the other postings.
    Sorry.Must have missed it
    ImTotallyLost Posts: 134, Reputation: 24

Jan 14, 2009, 04:03 PM

Unless she is from a very conservative family, I am pretty sure she can call off her wedding. Tell her to talk to her parents about not wanting to marry this guy and things will be sorted out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Urgent suggestion needed for filling DS-156 form [ 1 Answers ]

I have some queries related to filling DS-156 form. The pages of my first passport got exhausted. So I applied for additional booklet and my passport number was changed in 2nd booklet. On 1st booklet, they stamped it as cancelled. Can somebody Pl. help me with following queries: 1) What should...

ID suggestion [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone suggest me a good ID which has my name rehan in it?

View more questions Search