Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluddman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Sink drain overflow into dishwasher drain hose.
    I replaced my GE Triton Profile Performance dishwasher and installed a new Bosch SHE55M0 today. After completing the installation, I ran my sink faucet, and noticed that some water was passing back through the dishwasher drain hose back toward the direction of the dishwasher. The only reason that I picked this up was because my dishwaher drain hose is somewhat transparent. It is not a lot of water, and I know the water can not actually back into the dishwasher. But not sure if this is normal. Can anyone confirm if this is OK or normal?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 12:40 PM

Between the washer and the drain trap did you use a dishwasher air gap on the counter or just a high loop in the rubber drain hose?
    bluddman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 12:47 PM

I used a high loop with the dishwasher drain hose (+20" from base of dishwasher drain).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 12:52 PM

Between the high loop and the trap it is possible for a small amount or water to wash into the dishwasher drain since it's a simple Tee into the drain pipe. That water should never have enough volume of or pressure to ride back up to the top of the loop, that's why we have them to start.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 11, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluddman View Post
    I used a high loop with the dishwasher drain hose (+20" from base of dishwasher drain).
    If you can run water into the disposal and see it run down the hose then either the loop isn't high enough or you have a blockage in the drain line that's backing up into the disposal and down the dishwasher hose. (see image). Look at the images. Water can not run uphill. If the loop's high enough I would suspect a partial blockage. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install Vessel sink and drain with overflow [ 4 Answers ]

I have a china vessel sink with overflow sitting on a granite top. The drain fits through the hole but if I use the cone gasket between the sink and the granite top, the sink will be elevated about 1/4 inch and will not sit flat. If I install the silicone cone gasket under the granite then...

Dishwasher flex drain to black hose quite a distance from sink [ 6 Answers ]

I'm replacing the builder's ge dishwasher with a stainless steel LG dishwasher. I removed the GE and there is a flexible drain hose that I took off it. The dishwasher is on a wall perpendicular to the sink wall. The flexible drain hose runs into a hole in the back of the cabinet next to the...

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

No sink overflow drain? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a new build and just realized that the sinks do not have the usual holes in the front for overflow draining. These are cultured marble one piece tops in bathrooms. It's the same way in my master double sinks, the single and in the kitchen stainless double. When did manufactures...

View more questions Search