Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rasagr Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Can I claim Tax deductions in US on Indian Home Loan
    Hi,

I am an Indian citizen and currently on working in USA on work visa HI. I have recently purchased a first residential property in my home country India. I have taken Home loan from a Bank in India. I am paying monthly EMI’s on that loan using my NRI account.

Question?
    Can I avail tax benefit on housing loan while filing tax return in US? I am not filing tax in India as I am not earning anything in my home country. Please reply.

Thanks for helping,
    RasAgr

Jan 8, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Hi,

I am an Indian citizen and currently on working in USA on work visa HI. I have recently purchased a first residential property in my home country India. I have taken Home loan from a Bank in India. I am paying monthly EMI’s on that loan using my NRI account.

Question?
    Can I avail tax benefit on housing loan while filing tax return in US? I am not filing tax in India as I am not earning anything in my home country. Please reply.

Thanks for helping,
    RasAgr
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 07:01 AM

Mortgage interest on your Indian home is deductible on schedule A as an itemized deduction. The interest should be reported on Schedule A on the line that says mortgage interest not reported on Form 1098.

However, since you reside in the U.S. and the lender is a foreign bank, you are required to withhold 30% tax on the interest portion of the payments, unless a lower treaty rate applies. If you want to rely on the treaty, you need to obtain a Form W-8BEN from the foreign bank where the bank certifies that it qualifies for treaty benefits. In either case, you will need to also file Form 1042 and 1042-S reporting that you made interest payments to foreign persons.

The withholding tax rate under the U.S.-India Treaty would likely be 10% (if you can get a W-8BEN from the bank).
    See also https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/...ry-181648.html

Jan 9, 2009, 09:48 AM
    What if the Bank does not issue W-8BEN? Would you please elaborate on this witholding of tax on interest payment point. It is not very clear to me.

Thanks
    Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 09:50 AM

If the bank does not issue a W-8BEN, then you are required to withhold 30% of the interest portion of the payments.

Jan 9, 2009, 09:57 AM
    You mean to say that I withhold 30% of my Interest portion of the payments to the bank? Why will the Bank agree to this? Will they not charge me any penality for not paying them the full amount?

Thanks
    Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 11:02 AM

I recognize that this is a tough situation. I am simply stating what U.S. tax law requires. I don't know what the bank would say.
    taxbizschool Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2009, 02:44 AM
    According to IRS and legally it is very correct that you can take a tax deduction of Foreign Home Mortgage Interest paid on a foreign Home. But at the same time it very impractical to take this deduction for the following reasons:

1. You need to get Form 1098 form the recipient of the interest to report this HMI.
    2. Even if you do not get this Form 1098 from the lender, you need to report the SSN or EIN of the recipient to report on SCH A. Else you will be disallowed the deduction and in addition you will be levied a penalty of $50.
    3. Generally the foreign bank will never give you the Form 1098 or its EIN, because they are at obligation to pay 30% (applicable tax treaty rate) to the IRS.
    4. The tax payer has also has an obligation to withhold taxes from the interest payment, for which no foreign bank will permit.
    5. Resident Aliens of US has to pay their tax to US on their world wide income(not only income from US but income from outside US). Resident Aliens should also think of applicable capital gains tax in case they sell the house property.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 02:30 PM
    One final consideration: the size of the joint standard deduction, which, for 2008, is $10,900.

Many homes in countries such as India or Pakistan sell of a very small price relative to the cost of real estate in the U.S.

Hence, the loan balances generate rather small annual interest amounts.

Over the past few years, I have had several foreign national clients provide me with interest payments of less than $5,000 which, when combined with the other itemized deductions on Schedule A, do NOT exceed the $10,900 standard deduction.

So, in many cases, the whole argument about withhlding 30% of the payment for taxes is a MOOT POINT, because the itemized deductions cannot exceed the $10,900 joint standard deduction.
    Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 01:04 PM

The discussion regarding itemized deductions or the standard deduction has nothing to do with the imposition of the withholding tax. The deductions are related to the income tax imposed in Internal Revenue Code section 1. The withholding taxes are imposed under sections 871 and 881. The withholding taxes are based on gross amounts and no deductions are allowed.
    usintxpyr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2013, 08:32 PM
    I am a newbie for understanding Taxes. I am on L1-B Visa and residing in US on permanent/ open ended employment. My last tax filing was prepared via company. Hence didn't worry much about it.
    Now, I am applying for a home loan in India in a private Bank (opted over nationalised banks due to faster processing)

I may be repeating the same question here again since I couldn't follow the too technical tax terms above, but went through all the documents listed in the answers

1. Should I be the property owner? I am applying only for loan as applicant, but getting the property registered in my parents' name. I want it that way and I just want to pay off the loan, Bank is okay with this setup. But want to take advantage of the tax credit here if permitted.

2. As per tax treaty between India and US article 11, it says source contracting states can tax at 10%. So, is it US or is it India who can tax at 10%?

3. I thought I can file tax and avail tax credit on interest paid out only in US since my source of income is here and no need to file taxes in India since I am no more employed there. Is my assumption true?

Will appreciate all helpful answers

Nov 12, 2013, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    One final consideration: the size of the joint standard deduction, which, for 2008, is $10,900.

Many homes in countries such as India or Pakistan sell of a very small price relative to the cost of real estate in the U.S.

Hence, the loan balances generate rather small annual interest amounts.

Over the past few years, I have had several foreign national clients provide me with interest payments of less than $5,000 which, when combined with the other itemized deductions on Schedule A, do NOT exceed the $10,900 standard deduction.

So, in many cases, the whole argument about withhlding 30% of the payment for taxes is a MOOT POINT, because the itemized deductions cannot exceed the $10,900 joint standard deduction.
    I am a newbie for understanding Taxes. I am on L1-B Visa and residing in US on permanent/ open ended employment. My last tax filing was prepared via company. Hence didn't worry much about it.
    Now, I am applying for a home loan in India in a private Bank (opted over nationalised banks due to faster processing)

I may be repeating the same question here again since I couldn't follow the too technical tax terms above, but went through all the documents listed in the answers

1. Should I be the property owner? I am applying only for loan as applicant, but getting the property registered in my parents' name. I want it that way and I just want to pay off the loan, Bank is okay with this setup. But want to take advantage of the tax credit here if permitted.

2. As per tax treaty between India and US article 11, it says source contracting states can tax at 10%. So, is it US or is it India who can tax at 10%?

3. I thought I can file tax and avail tax credit on interest paid out only in US since my source of income is here and no need to file taxes in India since I am no more employed there. Is my assumption true?

Will appreciate all helpful answers
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 12, 2013, 09:36 PM
    It is NOT a tax credit; it is a tax DEDUCTION!

To answer your questions, I would need to know HOW MUCH you earned and HOW MUCH the interest on the loan is per year.

Further, to deduct the interest, you must be legally obligated to pay it AND have your name on the property title.

Nov 12, 2013, 09:53 PM
    Dear Sir,

Please consider the earning as 100K and interest part of EMI to be 800 USD per month.

Thank you.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2013, 12:00 PM
    If your name is on the title of the home, you will be able to claim the deduction for mortgage interest paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indian HIB eligible deductions and is it OK to do 1099 consulting while on W2? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I am confused over two points. 1) I am on H1B visa from India, here 2 years. My tax was done by IBSN. I am a W2 employee at a major US corp. I drive commuting miles and pay rent, have no other unreimbursed employee expenses. My tax returns lists deductions for laundry, rental fees,...

Can I claim deductions in US on Indian Home Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a US Permanent Resident and am planning to buy a house in India with loan taken from an Indian Bank. I want to know if I can claim deduction in US for this mortgage payment. Thanks Mahesh

Indian - OPT - State change - Student loan Claim [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, To any one answering these 3 question, I would appreciate it as it is of immense significance to me, I am late filing Taxes for 2006. Thank you :) Questions for 2006 TAX return F1 - 12/20/03 - 1/15/07 OPT - 1/15/06 - 1/15/07 - total W2 income $ 11600 (only income in 2006) Q1) I...

Loan interest deductions: H1B [ 1 Answers ]

Folks, I am an Indian citizen and in the US on an H1 B visa and paid interest for a student loan (from a bank in India) last year. Can I claim deductions for that in Form 1040A? 2 of my concerns are : 1. Can this be applied for student loans from other countries? 2. Can a person on H1B visa...

View more questions Search