Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Torizo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 09:08 PM
    No power to outlets in one room.
    About an hour ago the power suddenly went out in one room. The overhead light was still on, but none of the outlets are working. I turned everything off just in case and went to try the circuit breaker, but that didn't work. Then I unplugged everything, but that also didn't work. I felt the walls around the outlets just in case something behind the wall caught fire, and I didn't feel any heat (although I have to say I'm happy that I didn't... ). Before it went out, I had a little heater on, and about half an hour after I plugged it in, the power went out, so I think that might have something to do with it. I unplugged it as soon as the power went out and tried to use it in another room and it worked just fine.

The house is about 20-30 years old, and none of the outlets are GFIs.
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Jan 6, 2009, 09:18 PM

Many older houses have fuses as well as circuit breakers. Look for them in the circuit breaker box as well. The additional load of the heater caused some protective device to react.

Jan 6, 2009, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bones252100 View Post
    Many older houses have fuses as well as circuit breakers. Look for them in the circuit breaker box as well. The additional load of the heater caused some protective device to react.
    Our house only has circuit breakers, no fuses. :(

Thank you for your suggestion, though! :)
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Jan 7, 2009, 05:32 PM
    Ensure it is not a circuit breaker tripped. Unplug all devices in the suspect room. Completely throw & reset all C/B's one at a time. Do twice on each breaker just to make sure. Unfortunately, now there may be clocks, etc to reset, also. If that does not resolve the problem, suspect a burnt-out wire between the circuit breaker and the room. If you are abolutlely certain of the correct breaker, the easiest repair is to run new wire from the circuit breaker to the room. Repairing 30 year old wiring would eliminate the weakest link but leave the next weak spot ready for more trouble.

Jan 8, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bones252100 View Post
    Ensure it is not a circuit breaker tripped. Unplug all devices in the suspect room. Completely throw & reset all C/B's one at a time. Do twice on each breaker just to make sure. Unfortunately, now there may be clocks, etc to reset, also. If that does not resolve the problem, suspect a burnt-out wire between the circuit breaker and the room. If you are abolutlely certain of the correct breaker, the easiest repair is to run new wire from the circuit breaker to the room. Repairing 30 year old wiring would eliminate the weakest link but leave the next weak spot ready for more trouble.
    It turns out there was a loose receptacle between my room and the one next to it. We just got it fixed today, thank you so much for your help! :)

We're going to get all the other ones replaced as well, just in case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All outlets out in one room [ 1 Answers ]

My wife was running the vacuum cleaner when it suddenly stopped. I checked the breakers and nothing was flipped. After checking, it appears that all the outlets in one room are out and at least one outlet in the next room over. The overhead lights are working though, and as I said, the breakers...

No electricity to fan and outlets.in one room [ 2 Answers ]

The fan, lights, outlets, and bathroom electricity is out in my Mom's room. We flipped all the breakers trying to see if that would help but nothing happened. Her closet light works but nothing else. Any ideas?

Breaker shows power but no power to outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a breaker that is showing power coming out but all outets and equipment on this circuit are dead how do I find the problem?

Washing machine fried two outlets and lost power in living room [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm not very informed on the electrical workings of a house so please bear with me! Last night my washing machine, located in the laundry room of the basement stopped working. It had been working perfectly up until then. I tested the dryer next to it and it worked and everything...

View more questions Search