Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Infodoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 01:12 PM
    What is the best way to stop compression valve leak?
    What is the best way to stop a leak from a newly replaced water compression value with a new ferrule, etc? I have a small leak coming from the back of the bolt that screws into the valve. Is it possible that the end of the copper pipe was not flushed against the valve to get a tight fit even if teflon tape as used?

Thanks,
    Infodoc
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 6, 2009, 07:38 PM

Tighten 'er up!

If that don't work, then it's possible you may need to take the assembly apart and put a new ferrule on, it's possible there could be a burr, or a minor inperfection with the pipe causing this issue. Also check the water valve connection (what the nut screws on to) make sure there is no burrs or debries that would cause an inpefect seal.

If it's the pipe, just cut off the bad section and try again.

If you are using any teflon tape or dope to make a seal, clean that stuff off there, compression fittings need no teflon. It's just a metal on metal seal.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 07:42 PM

No teflon tape with compression fittings.

You can pull the old ferrule off and use a new one with a special puller.

Jan 6, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    No teflon tape with compression fittings.

You can pull the old ferrule off and use a new one with a special puller.
    I'd like to know more about this puller, I've run into a lot of situations with stubborn ferrules, especially those that have been on for years, for some reason gas fittings are the worst. In fact, the boss and I were fighting one today, finally just had to cut it off...
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 08:50 PM

See the picture below for the puller, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 09:28 PM

Gas fittings should probably be flared.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 6, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc24301 View Post
    I'd like to know more about this puller, I've run into a lot of situations with stubborn ferrules, especially those that have been on for years, for some reason gas fittings are the worst. In fact, the boss and I were fighting one today, finally just had to cut it off...
    Compression fittings should NEVER be used on gas lines.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2009, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Infodoc View Post
    What is the best way to stop a leak from a newly replaced water compression value with a new ferrule, etc? I have a small leak coming from the back of the bolt that screws into the valve. Is it possible that the end of the copper pipe was not flushed against the valve to get a tight fit even if teflon tape as used?

Thanks,
    Infodoc
    1)You don't use Teflon Tape on a ferule. (See ferule puller image) TRemove the tape from the ferule and crank down on the compression nut ,(see image).
    2) You NEVER use a compression fitting on a gas line. Flared fittings only.
    Good luck, Tom
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 04:59 AM

Only place I've seen compression fitting on gas is a pilot light in a gas stove on about a 1/8" Aluminum tube.

Jan 7, 2009, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    1)
    2) You NEVER use a compression fitting on a gas line. Flared fittings only.
    Good luck, Tom
    I myself have never seen them on a main "gas line". I'm speaking of the gas lines within an appliance. In which case I've seen a lot. Mostly in older commercial ovens and ranges. Still very common in standing pilots. I recal having this struggle getting a ferrule off a gas line while trying to change a gas valve on an old oven.

Regarding outside the appliance, no I've never seen a compression fitting used. Normally black iron pipe.

Jan 7, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Wait wait wait, now that I think about it, the compression fitting was on the gas line leading to the main burner assembly next to the burner. In that case, it wouldn't be pressurized anyway.

But, almost every standing pilot assembly I've seen uses compression.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Compression Valve [ 4 Answers ]

Valve leaking under kitchen sink. Attached to copper with compression valve. When I try to remove it just spins in circle. Can I get it off without cutting it? (There isn't much pipe sticking out of the wall).

Compression cpvc angle stop, same as copper? [ 7 Answers ]

For angle stops (well I guess any situation, not just for angle stops), I've seen the solvent weld type for CPVC. Can I use a regular compression type for CPVC as well? I know you can use it for copper, but wasn't too sure about it for CPVC.

Removing Compression Straight Style Supply Valve [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My cold water is leaking from the bottom of the compression valve (where it is attached to the pipe). I want to remove it, but it looks like it is glued onto the copper pipe. How would I go about this. The Compression Fitting doesn't not have a nut on the bottom which is attached to the...

Leaky Compression Shut-Off Valve [ 2 Answers ]

I recently replaced an old, leaky shut-off valve with a compression shut-off valve. I cut off the copper pipe cleanly and made sure the end was clean and burr free. After tightening the nut as instructed, I still had a leak from where the valve connects to the stub. I've adjusted it a couple of...

20.5hp briggs, compression release valve? [ 8 Answers ]

Do these engine have a valve to release compression to make it start easier? I think mine is stuck shut cause its real hard to turn over

View more questions Search