Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flarson Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Temperature Gauge not working? Chevy venture van
    Hello,
    My temperature gauge on my 2001 Chevy venture van does not seem to be working properly. My husband was driving to work this morning and just before he got there the gauge went to cold and stayed there the rest of the ride. It's not cold here this morning, about 50 degrees. Any ideas as to why this is?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 07:42 AM

First suggestion is that the thermostat is stuck in the wide open position. Second suggestion is that you have a bad ground somewhere in the electrical system. Has this van been in a flood? From your other questions it sounds like it is having major problems like it was flooded or something.

Jan 6, 2009, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    First suggestion is that the thermostat is stuck in the wide open position. Second suggestion is that you have a bad ground somewhere in the electrical system. Has this van been in a flood? From your other questions it sounds like it is having major problems like it was flooded or something.
    Not that we know of. Although it is raining quite a bit lately LOL. We just recently had the engine rebuilt (well about 6 months ago I guess). It does have some electrical problems that we have to get fixed. (there seems to be a short in one of the tail lights... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, especially when it is cold.)
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 08:39 AM

Clean/replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sending Unit.

For tail light issue, remove bulb, clean socket, and spray with WD-40. Disconnect negative battery terminal first, after recording any radio codes.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 08:40 AM

Have you checked the coolant level? Intake gaskets tend to leak on these vans, which would cause air to get stuck in the cooling system.

Jan 6, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    Clean/replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sending Unit.

For tail light issue, remove bulb, clean socket, and spray with WD-40. Disconnect negative battery terminal first, after recording any radio codes.

How do I find the ECT sending unit?

I will have my husband work on the bulb. Thanks

Jan 6, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Have you checked the coolant level? Intake gaskets tend to leak on these vans, which would cause air to get stuck in the cooling system.
    It is pouring down rain out there right now, so I'm assuming he has not checked it yet. I'll make sure he does before he comes home, though. How would I know if there is air stuck in the cooling system?
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 08:53 AM

Check the overflow tank to see if it's low on Dexcool. If it is, add some up to the fill line and see if the problem remedies itself. Check the level every few days to make sure you don't lose too much and overheat the van.
    robertstorey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 10:14 AM
    As for as the tail light problem when its cold, replace the pig tail that connects the tail light as well as the entire tail light (make sure you check to see if the connections are not burned). This will resolve the problem of your lights acting crazy when you put on your brakes, etc. I have not resolved my temp gauge problem yet, my heater blows out fairly hot air but the temp gauge only goes to a quarter.
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2010, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertstorey View Post
    As for as the tail light problem when its cold, replace the pig tail that connects the tail light as well as the entire tail light (make sure you check to see if the connections are not burned). This will resolve the problem of your lights acting crazy when you put on your brakes, etc. I have not resolved my temp guage problem yet, my heater blows out fairly hot air but the temp guage only goes to a quater.
    Did you replace your thermostat?
    tyrun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
    Jai le meme probleme que vous,mais il y a eu tempete de neige a quebec et les fort vents on fais que la neige es entrer a linterieur et le moteur etait plein de neige jai commencer a avoir des probleme de jauge de temperature du moteur qui est toujour dans le fond jai beau faire secher mais sa ne reviens pas, avez vous un autre solution

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car heat gauge not working [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a problem in my ford bantam heat gauge which can sammurized as follow. 1-heat gauge not working at all. 2-i took the cable out from the heat sensor & conneted it directly to the +ve cable of the battery, then it begin to move> which mean to me that the ciol is working?? 3-i took the...

2000 Chevy Venture blower motor resistor [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problems changing out my blower motor resistor on my 2000 Chevy Venture. I saw articles about where to find it, but I can't seem to find articles on how to do it. I can not get to the three nuts that are holding the resistor to the blower. One of the nuts/screws in directly behind...

2000 chevy venture [ 1 Answers ]

Why do my tail lights just the brake lights keep burning out?

Failed gass gauge and temperature gauge on 1988 Nissan Pathfinder [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. The gas gauge and the temperature gauge would stop working at the same time when the car warmed up. They both would come back on periodically and then off again. Currently they have not come back on in about 3 months. How do I fix this problem?

Chevy Venture 2000 fuel gauage - [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to fix the fuel gauge. It goes from full to empty and all over the place. Obviously something's wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

View more questions Search