Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa guardino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Dying Dracaena deremensis 'Lemon Lime'
    Can you try to help me figure out what I did wrong with this plant? It was not in direct sunlight and I don't think I over watered it. All of a sudden it had these dry brown spots all over it. Maybe I under watered it. The new growth coming in looks very healthy. Is there any way to save this? If I cut it down, will it grow new growth? I'm not very good with plants and don't know much about them. I live in Virginia and have had this since early summer. It seemed to do fine for a while. Thanks!
    Attached Images

twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 05:26 PM

Has the plant been exposed to a change in temperature? Wht you need to do is trim off the wilted leaves. Yes, the plant will be okay as you said the new growth is coming out just fime. I used to grow these plants in my yard in South Florida. When the plant starts to put forth new growth, the older leaves near the bottom of the plant will naturally brown, wilt and shrivel up. This is natural with this plant. It should be fine. Whatever you are doing with it, it seems to like. It apparently is getting enough water and light otherwise it would not have any new growth. Good luck with your plant.
    susananne Posts: 94, Reputation: 6

Jan 13, 2009, 08:02 AM

It is overwatered... and then underwatered. I know this sounds ridiculous. Notice the inner vein is yellow.. indicating overwatering.. and then the tips go brown.. that is under watering. Clipp off the dead leaves... and get one of those self watering items... the plant will drink when it needs too. Don't worry too much about light with these plants.. it is adaptable to that. Also a liquid or pellet fertilizer may help... good luck
    BILL PEZICK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 09:10 AM

As an individual who purchases these types of plants on a daily basis and has been personally maintaining them on the same basis for the past 30 years -I would suspect that the problem is insufficient water. The soil appears to be very dried out judging by your photo. Low temperatures can also cause this problem with this plant.
    Water it thoroughly when you do so - then let it dry out to about an inch from the surface. Water less in the winter. Plants consume more water when it is warm and the sun is out. Too much water can make you plant decline in the winter. Similar to a diabetic consuming too much sugar

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kaffir Lime [ 1 Answers ]

Could anyone advise me on where can I buy Kaffir Lime Tree? I live in southern California. I looked on eBay and those available are from growers in FL and TX and according to agricultural regulations, they cannot ship to CA. Thanks.

Lime water [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: can you please give me the procedure on how to test the excess lime in water??

Limestone / Lime [ 2 Answers ]

Is lime fertilizer crushed limestone? Or is it something else?

Lime Water [ 1 Answers ]

What is the simplest way to test lime levels in water?

View more questions Search