Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Jul 31, 2006, 10:03 AM
    When should toddler be using spoon/fork
    Hi, I was just wanting some advice on this subject, Currently I am still feeding my son with a spoon myself and letting him feed himself with his fingers food that can be eaten that way. My mom said I need to start letting him feed himself with a spoon, that he should be attempting it right now. I give him the spoon and he does like to hold it but he doesn't get how to manipulate the food onto the spoon at all, and he ends up not eating hardly anything and making a mess. He is 17months old (he just turned 17months on Fri.) What should I do? Are there any good ways to do this, did I wait too long to start?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 10:15 AM
    For both my kids I always followed their lead. The curiosity and willingness to want to attempt to use utensils is naturally ingrained. They will reach for the spoon when they want to experiment, trying to gtrab it from you when you are feeding him. All kids are different and reach stages at different times so don't let anyone tell you that he "should" be doing this and that by a certain age. My son is 19 months old and getting very handy with the spoon i.e. the messes are getting smaller to clean up. :)

Hope this helps and have fun with your little son.

[That's him in my avatar picture]Proud daddy.

Jul 31, 2006, 10:28 AM
    Thank you, I feel a little better now. I am a natural worrier, and have to ignore peoples comments and just go with my natural instincts more often. He is grabbing the spoon and wanting to do it himself, so I guess I will just keep letting him... he is a late walker (he just started walking without holding onto things at 16months) but he is very smart in other ways, like he can say a lot of words. I think I am just a worrier. Thanks again!!
    Attached Images

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Cute guy. All new moms worry, it's their nature to want to do the best for their child. Every kid picks up skills at a different pace than other kids. Your little guy will outpace some other kid in another area and you'll feel all proud. That's why it's fun to go to a crowded playground. :D It all evens out in time for kindergaten.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 31, 2006, 10:42 AM
    What an absolute little doll!!

NK is perfectly right here. We all have our own schedule of developmental stages. Those stages begin at birth and continue till death. We all do things at different times.

And, he is again correct that it all evens out in kindergarten. Believe me the teacher will not have to feed him lunch. ;)

He just may have some other interests right now and using a spoon and fork properly are not high on his priority list as some other things might be.

Jul 31, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Thank you both for your wisdom, I appreciate it :) I worry too much sometimes, but I will get over it, I have gotten a lot better now that he is out of the infant stage.
    Expert

Jul 31, 2006, 02:31 PM
    Good luck!! It is funny, but with each new stage there are new worries.

My youngest starts Pre-K on the 7th. My fear with this is "will he know how to open his thermos to drink milk at lunch."

As I said, with each stage there are new fears. I also have a 12 year old, an 18 year old and a 19 year old. There are fears with each age and be sure you will get over them all.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jul 31, 2006, 07:24 PM
    I just wanted to add something that I don't think has been said here. I think you should remember that little hands need practice. They need to be able to have opportunities to learn how to manipulate things. In this case it is utensils. I always let my kids have a spoon while I was feeding them. My kids could eat by themselves by the time they were 18 months. I think it works the same way with the cup. Mine, never got sippy cups. I nursed them until they were one and from about the age of 10 months I started offering them a cup with some milk or water in it. A couple months of that, and they pick up things amazingly quick if given the opportunity.

This is just what worked for me.

Remember there will be messes!

You have an adorable son.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 04:18 PM
    To tell the truth, NK, I don't look much different!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search