Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlkachina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 12:29 PM
    sewer smell at basement bathroom
    have just helped a friend remodel bathroom in basement, new shower pan, reused and reset existing toilet and vanity sink, all plumbing is hooked to a pump system
    and eventually runs into town sewer lines. Shower pan is built up like old one on a 2x8 sub floor with new trap assembly to the pump system so really nothing has changed from before. Homeowner remembers this odor awhile back. Need some expertise as to where odor is coming from

thanks
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 01:10 PM

Is There water in the new shower pan trap. If shower wasn't used or toilet the sewer gass is escaping through the dry trap. Same with sink. Many auxiliary fixtures hooked to sewer line is not used enough to keep water in traps it doesn't happen that often but it can happen. It sewer gas leaking out of the sewer line or where the pump system check and smell all traps in sink and shower and pump traps chase it down. Post back results

Signed 21 Boat

If I helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell in basement bathroom [ 24 Answers ]

I'm moving in a couple of months, but the house I'm renting right now has a really strong sewer smell coming from the shower drain, sink drain, and the drain for the washing machine, all in the basement. It's worse when the washing machine is running, but you can smell it pretty much all the time....

Sewer smell in basement and bathroom [ 4 Answers ]

Last winter we were getting a sewer smell in the basement between the furnace and laundry room. That came and went so we didn't really think much about it again. Now it has returned AND now we also have a sewer smell in the (only) bathroom, which is on the opposite side of the house. (Could they...

Sewer smell in my bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I have a terrible sewer smell in my bathroom. It started when the weather got really cold a day or so ago. I think it is coming from the bathtub drain. All of my drains are running very well but a new issue developed when I flush the toilet. You can hear it sucking the water out of the pea trap...

View more questions Search