Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    145001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Dryer squeaks and catches clothes at top of drum
    I have a Frigidaire dryer that has a very loud squeak but also catches clothes along the top front edge of drum leaving a burn mark on the clothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    teach34181 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 06:14 PM

The drum is off track. Hence the squeaking and opening that clothing falls through. If it's gas, shut off the emergency supply line. Disconnect all fitings (electrical lines, gas lines, vent tubes etc). Remove the screws which keep the 'white' housing in place and you'll see the bare drum and lots of lint. Vacuum the lint. Reposition the drum on track and reposition the drive belt which turns the drum. Replace the 'white' housing panels, reattach the screws, reconnect the fittings and you should be go to go!
    pokefan7790 Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Jan 4, 2009, 06:44 PM

It could be the front drum glides and felt seals are worn out. You can feel the front edge of the drum to see if the plastic bearing that goes all the way around the front of the drum is worn or missing. If this is the problem, you will have to lift the top and remove the front panel to access the worn parts.
    145001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teach34181 View Post
    The drum is off track. Hence the squeaking and opening that clothing falls through. If it's gas, shut off the emergency supply line. disconnect all fitings (electrical lines, gas lines, vent tubes etc). Remove the screws which keep the 'white' housing in place and you'll see the bare drum and lots of lint. Vacuum the lint. Reposition the drum on track and reposition the drive belt which turns the drum. Replace the 'white' housing panels, reattach the screws, reconnect the fittings and you should be go to go!
    My father and I already raised the top of the dryer, cleaned the lint out, and checked the drum. We rolled the drum by hand and it seems to be rolling fine. I generally only experience the problems after the dryer has been running a while and begins to heat up. We only run our dryer on low heat, so it will usually take a little while before it squeaks. I ran it on high heat so mt father could hear it, and the squek started in less than five minutes.
    pokefan7790 Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Jan 5, 2009, 09:56 AM

I'd lift the top and pull the front off and check the felt on the front and the plastic on the drum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clothes dryer squeaks [ 5 Answers ]

So how do I know if it is the belt or pulley? And is it easy to change?

GE Dryer Squeaks [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE dryer,the model number is EED3000BOW,When I put clothes in it,the dryer makes a loud squeaky noise and then stop and then start again.Does anyone know what would cause this and how can I fix it..

Kenmore Stackable Dryer/Washer Dryer Squeaks [ 1 Answers ]

We have developed a squeak in the dryer. It does heat okay and clothes are tumbling well. I went online to get the schematics of the dryer drum, but would not know where to start as parts are numbered and not named. Help:confused:

Clothes dryer drum screws fell out; How to align to replace? [ 1 Answers ]

I've had this happen years ago with another dryer I had, but this one has been tough. Older model Beaumark clothes dryer. Inside the drum, three screws attach the drum through a round metal plate (with circular "vent" holes) and screw into a small circular piece that rotates the drum. Over...

View more questions Search