Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ClementsJr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Can you convert a gas range over to an electric range?
    Hello! We just brought a started house and it is electric through out except for the cooking stove or range is gas. The problem is that it's causing our utility bill to run more that the house payments. I wanted to know if there is a way to switch from a gas range to an electric range. And if you can do it, how do you do it? Or estimates for it to be done?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 03:43 PM

First you have to have the proper electrical outlet for an electric stove. If you have that, then all you have to do is buy a new electric stove. If you don't have the electrical outlet, you will need to contract with a licensed electrician to see if your home is equipped with the proper electrical power source and have the outlet installed. If your home does not have the proper amperage, this will not be possible until the main breaker box is properly upgraded to handle the load.

Try using a microwave or just don't use the oven feature and this will cut your gas bill down considerably.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 06:35 AM

How much are you using your stove? If your utility bill is that high I would venture to guess that your hot water and possibly heat are also natural gas.

Keep in mind, although you might be running a gas stove, running an electric one is just going to move the utility cost from your gas bill to your electric bill.

Personally I prefer a gas range. First, its instantly hot so you don't waste energy warming it up. Second, it gives you ultimate control over the amount of heat source for more precise cooking.

But Twinkie is right - if you are set on an electric range, if you have the proper outlet, it's a simple replacement. But if it is a factor of saving money, don't forget that in order to realize any cost benefit you have to save as much as the new equipment costs - so if moving to an electric range saves you $20 a month but costs $500 to have it put in, you really aren't saving money for more than 2 years.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 03:52 PM

I have always installed, and believe it is code to Wire for an Electric Range even if House is preparing for Gas. I would look behind Range, blank plate? Maybe in the 120 volt box? and Maybe check in Panel for wiring for a Range.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric range [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, We have a GE; spectra electric range, and my wife says that the oven does not get to the correct temp. Can the element be going bad? TIA, Schins

What are your long-range and short-range career goals and objectives, and how are you [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, What are your long-range and short-range career goals and objectives, and how are you preparing to achieve them?

Changing from a gas range to an electric smooth top range [ 1 Answers ]

What are the requirement for switching from cooking with a gas stove to cooking with and electric stove

Electric range [ 2 Answers ]

The digital clock works, the timer works, even the lights come one indicating a burner or oven is on BUT the neither the burners not the oven heats.

GE Electric Range [ 6 Answers ]

Help! My electric Range is 3 years old. The range timer and clock are working,however the oven nor the surface units heat up. Does this sound like something I can repair myself or should I be calling a repair person?

View more questions Search