Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Resolving an Inner Issue!
    How can a person that professes to be a Christian support a political party, or any organization for that matter, that has as it's core values support for abortion and homosexual marriages?
    neokafkaesque Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 10:23 AM
    Hi! I'm new to this site, and English isn't my first language, so my answers might be a bit slow. First of all, do you consider Christianity to be against homosexuality?
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 11:04 AM

1Timothy1:10, 1Corinthians 6:9, 1 Thessalonians 4:3,
    God has spoken very clearly about what HE thinks of Homosexuality.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 11:21 AM

I have a very good friend who I share many moral tenets with.

We agree on most things but we do not agree of everything.

I cherish and respect her. I do not have to agree with everything she believes to appreciate her as a worthy human being.

I do not know of any political party that has homosexuality and abortion as their *core values*. Would you care to elaborate on that point with specifics?

The right to choose is a right given by the courts,because someone says they believe in the right to choose does not necessarily mean they are a proponent of abortion.

As far as homosexual marriage,the states (some) have mandated that is a right.

For every biblical quote you can find to speak to the non rights of gays or the belief that they are somehow inferior ,there is a gay preacher who will find you a biblical reference to dispute it.

I think one things all religions can agree on is *judge not lest ye be judged*

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

To my way of thinking being a good Christian means loving my brother as the child of God he is.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    1Timothy1:10, 1Corinthians 6:9, 1 Thessalonians 4:3,
    God has spoken very clearly about what HE thinks of Homosexuality.
    None of these mentions homosexuality. The term doesn't occur, which presumably it would if God were making his condemnation clear.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 12:07 PM

1Tim1:10
    And immoral men, and Homosexuals, and kidnappers and liars and perjurers and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching
    1Corr 6:9
    Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, not homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
    !Thess 4:3
    For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is that you abstain from sexual immorality;
    All passages quoted from the NAS version.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 01:47 PM
    450donn,
    I DO find it difficult to support any Christian group or political party that supports homosexual activities and same sex marriages.
    My state and several others have outlawed such marriages.
    I was an active supported of the Democrat Party for many years, but when it lost its moral values and wrote support for immoral activities into its political Party Platform I had to leave. I am now an independent moderate.
    I find it interesting that when the Bible speaks so very clearly against homosexuality that some who claim to believe the bible ignore that.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 02:50 PM

THESE TWO ARE NOT THE CORE VALUES OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY. The core values of the Democratic Party are equal rights for everyone, justice for all, rational government.

In lev. Which condemns homosexuality, you will find many passages such as kill your chldren who are disobedient, don't wear clothes made of different materials... AND THEY ARE ALL OF *EQUAL ABOMINATION*.

It is all about being clear thinking and giving up *hate* of other people as Christ proclaimed in the New Testament... love one another, love our neighbors as we love ourselves.

*WOMEN* have had abortions for centuries. They like to determine their own fate. Get rid of cells and embryos from rape, abuse, child molestation... and so forth.

The Confederate Party, formerly the Republican Party now a regional party, is a white supremicist party now, an endless war party, a minority hate party... THOSE ARE ITS CORE VALUES.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Choux,
    Please read the Democrat Party Platform.
    It does have support for homosexual life styles in it's planks.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 03:01 PM

LOL, I just knew you would step in with your brand of liberalism. Maybe you need to change your location to obamaland.
    The question is not intended as a political rant rather how do people who profess to be christian support a political party that promotes homosexuality and cold blooded murder.
    As for the party you refer to, why is it then that they support homosexual marriages? Or abortions? And the other party you so disparengly refer to as white supremicists does not?
    If you want to rant about politics, please go over to the politics forum and rant away.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 03:09 PM

Supporting and promoting are two very different things.

I do not believe you ever heard Obama say he believed in or promoted either homosexuality or abortion.

I believe the phrase is the right to choose.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Pro choice is nearly always spoken of as in support of legal abortions.
    However, I'm pro choice in one way as long as the person chooses to support life for the persons yet to be born.
    A baby developing in the womb is a person, so God says.

Isaiah 49: 1. Coasts and islands, listen to me, pay attention, distant peoples.
    Yahweh called me when I was in the womb, before my birth he had pronounced my name.

Jeremiah 1: 4. The word of Yahweh came to me, saying:
    5. `Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you came to birth I consecrated you; I appointed you as prophet to the nations."

God knew them as persons before they were born.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 04:54 PM

Hi Fred,
    I know I have gone off topic here and don't know what the rules are regarding that but never the less.

Should we go back in time when women used knitting needles and hangers to rid them self of a child that would starve or a child who was the product of rape or incest? Should a 12yr.old child be forced to carry and birth a child of rape and incest?

What do you say about these Christians who in the name of *pro life* bomb abortion clinics and kill people who disagree with their fundamentalist beliefs?

We need to make the bible work for us today in our time without ignoring the basic tenets .

The misinterpretation of the word of God has brought so much pain and to say that one is a true biblical scholar is presumptuous,even scholars from biblical times have revised their interpretations.

All I know is I enjoy a good debate and appreciate your thoughts and expertise.

Many Blessings.. Michele
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 05:14 PM

1Tim.1.10: The word used, and translated by some as homosexuals, is arsenokoitais.
    1Cor.6.9: The word used and translated by some as homosexual is arsenokoitai.

The Greek word for homosexuality is not the word that is translated "homosexual" in these two passages. For some reason, Paul decided NOT to use that standard Greek for hmosexuality, and this, my friends, suggests that he may have been talking about something other than homosexuality. Many scholars think he was in fact talking about masturbation. But in any case, the Greek does not have the word for homosexual.

1Thess.4.3: Nothing about homosexuality here.

Your Bible must read differently than mine.
    The Greek often does.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 05:19 PM

I'll just add that there is a long *tradition* of reading the above passages as prohibiting homosexual sex. But for those of you who don't like tradition, the Scripture alone doesn't support your claims.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 05:35 PM

Personally I really don't see a difference in either party on the abortion issue because no matter who we have in office abortion is never done away with. It does reflect more on the whole believe, value and moral stance of the party that is pro abortion but IF there were a decent liberal candidate that truly would make a difference I would not be concerned so much about the abortion issue because of the fact it doesn't change with the Republicans anyway.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 07:35 PM
    For artlady
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Hi Fred,
    I know I have gone off topic here and don't know what the rules are regarding that but never the less.

Should we go back in time when women used knitting needles and hangers to rid them self of a child that would starve or a child who was the product of rape or incest? Should a 12yr.old child be forced to carry and birth a child of rape and incest?

What do you say about these Christians who in the name of *pro life* bomb abortion clinics and kill people who disagree with their fundamentalist beliefs?

We need to make the bible work for us today in our time without ignoring the basic tenets.

The misinterpretation of the word of God has brought so much pain and to say that one is a true biblical scholar is presumptuous, even scholars from biblical times have revised their interpretations.

All I know is I enjoy a good debate and appreciate your thoughts and expertise.

Many Blessings..Michele
    I feel very much concerned about women who think they need and abortion for whatever reason they may have.
    The women you speak of who self aborted were a very few compared to the number of babies that are killed under the terrible legal abortion rules.
    I am not one who thinks that all abortions should not be carried out. There are some very special circumstances such as the mothers life is threatened because of her pregnancy.
    Those people who bomb abortion clinics and or shoot abortion doctors and nurses are, in my mind, crazy. That try of reaction in protest to abortions is as wrong as the abortions are and very counter productive.
    Violence breeds violence.
    My objection to abortion is that an innocent, defenseless human being is killed and millions of them are every year.
    More of them are killed than people killed during than wars of the last century.
    God knows who is every person while they are still in the womb.
    That's right, they are PERSONS.
    Are you comfortable about killing person no matter what the age?
    I most certainly am not.
    I will not vote for any politician who I know from what they say supports abortions on demand and does not oppose the practice of killing those babies.
    It is hard for me to express the sorrow I feel for the millions of persons in the womb who have been killed and the frustration I feel because I can do nothing other than object and vote against it to being it to a halt.
    I also grieve for the many women who have had abortions and particularly those who now wish they had not had one.
    It has been proven that having an abortion does cause great harm of various sorts to most women who have had abortions.
    I pray to God that he helps His followers fight all that killing of innocent, defenseless persons.
    Fred
    compsavvyimnot Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Jan 4, 2009, 01:42 AM
    I am Christian, I believe pro-choice. I am a strong believer of "Judge not" and "Love all". I don't agree with abortions and have and still do regret my choice to abort muliple times as a unenlightened youth. And there are side effect to them, as for mine, eternal mental and emotional anguish. Maybe there should be resrictions on abortions. Maybe homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to wed. But who gave any of us the right to judge and hate.
    As for political parties... it's an individuals choice to choose the better of all evils.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by compsavvyimnot View Post
    I am Christian, I believe pro-choice. I am a strong believer of "Judge not" and "Love all". I dont agree with abortions and have and still do regret my choice to abort muliple times as a unenlightened youth. And there are side effect to them, as for mine, eternal mental and emotional anguish. Maybe there should be resrictions on abortions. Maybe homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to wed. But who gave any of us the right to judge and hate.
    As for political parties...it's an individuals choice to choose the better of all evils.
    No one is suggesting judge and hate. The Bible does not teach that. It does teach to hate the sinful act, but to love the person.
    Again the Bible stands pretty clear on sin and Gods thoughts on it. Hate the sin, love the sinner. Are we to pick the lesser of the evils and that one is OK? I personally do not believe that way. Both political parties have forgotten the basic principals of Godly living. It is up to us that profess to be Christians to change them and this country. We have sat silently in the pews for far too long. It is time that we change this country or loose it for the rest of time to the godless society it is turning into.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 01:56 PM
    neokafkaesque
    Wrong...
    The bible may not use the word homosexuality, but it does say that it is a hateful thing.
    Lev 20; 13. The man who has intercourse with a man in the same way as with a woman: they have done a hateful thing together; they will be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

X-Men Issue #11 [ 1 Answers ]

I own an X-Men Issue #11 (August 1992) Limited Edition Platinum Cover. How can I find out how much it is now worth or does anyone know how much it is worth?

I have a shower issue and venting issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 showers in my house 1 downstairs and 3 upstairs. Two of the 3 upstairs have stopped having hotwater in them, shower A is a tub shower combined unit and has no hot water in it, shower B is a shower only with a jetted tub in the same bathroom but not single unit. The shower in B has no hot...

Why has sex become an issue [ 7 Answers ]

Ive been with my boyfriend for a year and a half now, and the bedroom has become more of a battlefield. He makes it very apparent when he does and when he doesn't want to have sex. Its to the point to where I'm so fed up with this bull that I'm ready to walk. I mean really, this has got to stop. I...

Process for Resolving a Summons for Collection of Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello again, I am writing again because I am hoping to get some help on a summons I received in the mail on Saturday, February 3, 2007 regarding collection of debt. I reside in New York City, the debt collector is Midland Funding LLC. I planned on appearing in court to resolve the summons...

Problem w/ Resolving Some DNS on XP sp2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hey All, I have a problem that's really ticking me off. I will list the attempts at fixing the problem below. Problem: I can launch some web sites and not others. Yahoo comes up but if you click on the link for maps, music, anything they only load maybe one out of five times. Mail...

View more questions Search