Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Water Closet drain distance to main stack
    I am in the middle of enlarging a bathroom and moving the toilet. To put the toilet in the new location, I will have to extend the existing 3" drain line 8 feet from where the original toliet flange was. That flange was already 3 feet from the main stack. That means I would now be 11 feet from the stack wit the new drain line. My first question is, am I running this drain too far and risking clogs? I will be dropping 4" in slope between these two points which should be plenty based on code (1/8" per foot). Of course I'm adding a new vent for this toilet. The second question is that I had to add two 45 degree elbows to get the two drains to connect. Will these cause clog concerns?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 07:40 AM

Yes the 3" should be vented within 5' of the closet flange I prefer 1/4 per foot on slope. On the 45s are they spread apart? They make "Sweep" angled fittings They are a longer coupling to make the "turn softer" for better flow. Since its not a straight shot can yo get more slop?
    timinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Yes the 3" should be vented within 5' of the closet flange I prefer 1/4 per foot on slope. On the 45s are they spread apart? They make "Sweep" angled fittings They are a longer coupling to make the "turn softer" for better flow. Since its not a straight shot can yo get more slop?

The primary question was about the distance to the main stack, is it too long or acceptable and do I run the risk of clogs? The two 45's are spread 6" apart but neither ar sweep fittings. I can easily swap them out. I can't get any more slope because joists are only
    12".
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 08:25 AM

Since you are installing vent on this 11' run than do not worry about the distance at all. Second, installing two 45 elbows will not inhibit functionality of your drain. Btw: you have plenty of slope.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing fixtures distance from main drain [ 8 Answers ]

If all the fixtures-sinks,showers,washing machine etc. excluding the toilets are within 4 or 5 feet from the main 3"drain line which is attached to a 3" vertical stack,are they required to be separately vented?This scenario is existing in the plans for a slab foundation where all the plumbing is in...

Tie into the main stack in the sewer drain [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I put a new bathroom into my basement, we know now where the sewer line is to connect the pipe to for the drainage, but is there something special to do when connecting abs to the old steel stack so that the stack won't move or break?

Bends in main drain/vent stack [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 4" cast iron main drain stack that comes out of the foundation and runs about 40' up through the roof. It is leaking and falling apart so I plan on replacing it, my question is can I go up 5' from the basement floor and punch it through a 18" thick brick wall with 2x 90* bends, run it...

Water coming out from drain stack [ 2 Answers ]

I have replumbed my washing machine drain line to the drain line. When the washing machine goes to the rinse cycle water comes up the stack. All drain lines are an Inch and a half with a trap installed. I am suspecting that the T fitting in the drain line is causing the problem and should be...

Drain line 5 feet long going into main stack [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a washing machine drain line using 2" ABS pipe. The drain line will be installed within a 5 foot horizontal run going into the main stack. Within 5 feet of the main stack, do I need a vent line? Thanks for the help.

View more questions Search