Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Josskacer Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 04:48 PM
    My cookies keep falling apart!
    I am new to baking and I decided to start with something easy. I have tried to make the oatmeal cookie recipe on the Quaker Oat box. I follow the directions exactly but the cookies always crumble apart when they are picked up. Even after they cool for an hour they still fall apart. Also they seem rather greasy, the recipe calls for using a half pound of softened butter, that seems a bit high because I have seen cookies that other people bake and they are not greasy like these are? Any suggestions?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 05:08 PM
    What kind of flour do you use?
    What kind of flour does the recipe call for?
    Do you sift the flour?

What do you use butter, margarine or shortening?
    Which does the recipe call for?

My cookies fall apart or melt if I sift the flour and use margarine
    melloboi23 Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Dec 14, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Also check the weather humidity will ruin cookies and cause the symptoms you mentioned.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Dec 29, 2008, 06:48 PM

In my opinion and expirence with this, you have selected one of the more difficult cookies to bake. My oatmeal cookies has similar issues. They would hold together, but they would sag real bad.

I recommend starting with an easier cookie, such as chocolate chip or peanut butter.

At least that way you will have something to munch on while you are perfecting the oatmeal.

Keep practicing though.
    Grumpyoldlady Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 01:31 AM

With my years of experience, it sounds like your either not adding enough flour, or your adding too much, I know a recipe calls for a certain amount, but like the previous answer's, humidity and sea level can also screw with recipes !
    What is your cookie dough like when you spoon it onto the tray? If you can answer that, then I can probably give you a for certain answer.
    Grumpy Old Lady (not really!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cookies [ 1 Answers ]

Does Cookies slow your computer down? Do I need to delete cookies and if so can someone please tell me how?

Cookies! [ 1 Answers ]

Im not sure if it's the right place to ask this, but, how can I delete cookies from by browser?

Where's the cookies ? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to log into my pay pal account for the first time. It says my browser has to accept cookies?? Can somebody let me know... where are the cookies? I thought it was a bad thing to allow. Many thanks :)

How do you get cookies on your computer [ 5 Answers ]

I was answering a question about cookies and thought someone else Might like to find out more about "TRACKING COOKIES" What Is My IP Address? - What is a Cookie? Cookies are not what you think -- if you think someone is following you They may be seeing what sites you visit and send...

Cookies [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a page where I can find out who owns the cookies that keep appearing when I do scan?? Toydajo

View more questions Search