Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrishuizar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Acid did not go down
    I was told by the guy at the hardware store that if plunging and using a snake don't work, try sulfuric acid. I bought a bottle and followed the instructions, but it didn't seem to work. The instructions say to flush five times when the drain is open, but I don't think it is and I'm afraid of having the acid overflow all over the bathroom. I was told to try pouring in boiling water to try to get it down. What should I do?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 02:49 AM
    The guy at the hardware store is, pardon my french, full of baloney.

Slowly pour hot water in there to see if it's eaten the blockage. If the blockage is still there, your options are
    1. running a snake until it's cleared,
    2. disassembling the plumbing to get to the blockage or
    3. calling a plumber out to do one of the above.

Physical removal is far better than acid for tough blockages.
    allozier Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Jul 28, 2006, 04:05 PM
    If you do call a plumber be sure to tell about the acid in the line. I have had several incicents where the homeowner did not inform me and have gotten it in my eyes and face. It is very painful but to answer your question best thing to do is run a snake through the line if there is a lot of soap and grease buildup in the line it may take several attempts to open the line . If possible run hot water in the line at the same time you snake it out if not possible do it as soon as you open the line and reconnect the pipes.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 29, 2006, 12:44 AM
    I have unclogged some pretty tough clogs for people, by alternating plunging and boiling water with a bit of Drano when necessary. But I would never use acid, particularly sulfuric acid. Not sure about the effectiveness of such, but extremely unsafe in many regards.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 29, 2006, 05:22 AM
    DANGER! Sulfuric acid is sold only to licensed plumbers,(Blast Out) and should NEVER be used indoors. A few years ago I lost a good friend behind pouring Sulfuric acid downa closet bend in a unvented bathroom.
    Ya got uninformed advice that is both dangerous to your life and harmful to your health. At the very least the hardware store should be informed that their salesman is dispensing dangerous advice. Use a toilet auger to clear the toilet and if that don't get it either pull the toilet and go up the bottom or call in outside help. Good luck, Tom
    mswaldo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2012, 04:15 PM
    Hi, my toilet was blocked and I poured a sulphuric acid drain cleaner (that had an extra plastic bag covering the bottle, I know, not a good sign) . But the people at my local home depot told me to use it and I followed all the instructions, and now... my toilet is a black vat and the black liquid isn't going down,
    I'd appreciate some help other than verbal abuse for my stupidity

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acid Hydrolysis [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know everything about ACID HYDROLYSIS Would you please refer me a LINK which describe this method completely? I want to know how is it and what happened for proteins,polysaccharides and... in this process Actually I want to know what happen in below process and why we saw NH3 in it "...

Folic acid [ 7 Answers ]

Is it safe for me to take folic acid and prenatal vitamins at the same time even though I hadn't had my period for 7 months? It been a week I have been taking it but I don't even know if I suppose to be experincing some symptons or not.. or is it safe?

Glutathione and ascorbic acid [ 2 Answers ]

just want to ask if a generic kind of ascorbic acid is OK to take with glutathione. I saw a product called sustained release ascorbic acid which releases the same in small doses over a period, they say up to 10 hours and better absorbed by the body. I plan to take 1000 mg pure glutathione (dr...

Acid Mole Question [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me with this problem? A new super antacid was just released onto the market. A single tablet weighing .3541 g was added to 25 ml of .981 M HCl. The acid that remained after the tablet had reacted required 10.31 ml of .183 M Ca(OH)2. How many moles of acid was neutralized by the...

View more questions Search