Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michael A Mille Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Hot water heater making thumping noise
    When I turn on the hot water I hear a thumping or low banging noise which lasts for about a minute and will repeat after a few hours when the hot water is used. This only happens when hot water is first used. I have checked the unit and at this time the unit is not heating water nor has ignition occurred nor is the burner lighted. There is no sound when the hot water is turned off. (“Rapid closing of faucets or solenoid valves in automatic water using appliances can cause a banging noise heard in water pipes”).

I have drained the tank and no sediment appears in the water removed and discarded.
    I have opened the release valve and it works normally releasing clean water in the drain.
    It is not a rattling noise, which I understand is normal.
    I have checked the flue baffle & hanger, and it is not generating any noise and is in good condition. We purchased the unit on 3/23/03 so it is less than 6 years old.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 27, 2008, 11:17 AM
    The cold water rush to the bottom of the tank can sometimes cause a low sounding noise on some heaters. It is not something that can be cured with a water hammer eliminator. Since it is not from the pipe itself I do not believe there is a cure with the exception of replacement. My 40 gallon gas unit here has the same or similar problem but it is located away from the living area so you do not hear it unless you are in the same room as the water heater when it happens. Other than the noise the unit works fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud thumping noise in PVC vent on Magic Chef Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Approximately 20 seconds after the system commands heat we hear a loud thumping Noise coming from the 2" plastic vent inside the wall next to our bedroom. It lasts for Approximately 45 seconds with 5 second intervals. The furnace is about 20 yrs old and Works fine otherwise. It started last...

Water pipes making noise? [ 3 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet when it just starts to finish filling my water pipe from the main in basement to house starts a howling or humming vibration. What can cause this and how do I fix it. We just moved into the house and it really is bothersome. Thanks

Toilet won't stop making water noise [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet has a tendency after it is flushed to keep cycling water--not in the basin--but up top in the thing there. So it never quits making that noise. Once in a while if I flush it "right" it works. I'm sure its easily fixable but can someone tell me what's wrong.

Water pipes vibrating and making a noise when the toilet system refills [ 2 Answers ]

When the toilet refills you can hear the pipes vibrate and make a noise. I've turned our stop cock to off and then turned it back on slightly and this rectifies the problem but the water then just trickles out. I think it's an air block but I don't know how to check the toilet. All the tapes are...

Thumping Noise when furnace Starts [ 1 Answers ]

I would like some advice regarding our gas furnace. Lately just before the furnace comes on you can hear a thumping clicking noise. Actually only happens about 3 to 4 times a day. We had a repariman at the house last winter to fix the furnace since the starter needed to be replaced. Furnace is...

View more questions Search