Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcosta1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Fan switch wiring a mystery
    Greetings: I have a harbor breeze fan (with light), and the fan stopped working after the first year (with little use at that). I bought a new fan switch, but when I exposed the old switch it literally fell apart, leaving me with several small pieces. The bad part is none of the wires were connected (small wonder the fan didn't work) when I was able to take it out. Therefore, I could not "remove one wire at a time and place them in the new switch". So, now I have a gray, brown, black, and purple wire to place in the new switch labeled 1, 2, 3, and L. Any chance you can tell me witch wire goes where?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2008, 10:55 PM

Aha, this one I know!

L - Black, 1 - Grey, 2 - Brown, 3 - Purple

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    puangnjak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 04:44 PM

After replaced to the new 4 wires pull chain switch and replacing the wires according to the instrction, but the fan works only high and low not middium speed
    puangnjak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2008, 04:46 PM
    After replaced to the new 4 wires pull chain switch and replacing the wires according to the instrction, but the fan works only high and low not middium speed. Can some one help?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2008, 09:25 PM

Are you sure it isn't low and medium?

What does the switch do:

Off - run-run-OFF? Or
    OFF-run-OFF-run?

Or something else?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2008, 11:09 PM

1. What instructions did you use?

2. You probably do not have the correct replacement switch.

THESE are the best instructions:

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New 3 Way Switch Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and after looking at dozens of 3 way switch diagrams online, I'm still confused. I've already run the wires and here's how I did it. I've got 6 recessed lights on 14/2 that come back to switch box 1. The power from the panel comes into switch box 1 as well. I then have...

Wiring a three and four way switch. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 fans in a screen room one fan in the bedroom.(these are ceiling fans). My 3 way switch in the den a 4 way switch in the dinning room and a 3 way switch in the bedroom. I have power to all the fans The fan in the bedroom is working the other fans are not but there's power going to them....

Switch Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Background: Living room has one light and one single switch that controls it. We installed a ceiling fan in the living room in addition to the light. We also bought a dual switch thinking we could use that for both the fan and light. When we looked at the single switch, it has both the...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

3-way switch wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble wiring a 3way light system. I am looking to run two lights from both ends of the switches. My explanation is I had a single light & switch at the top of stairs and a single light & switch at the bottom of stairs. I have ran 12-3 wires between switchs but not sure how to wire...

View more questions Search