Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kilikine27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Kitchen sink sprayer water smells
    Hi! I am a newbie--any help is greatly appreciated!
    My problem is the kitchen sink sprayer. The water that comes out of it smells bad (kind of a moldy smell), but only for the first couple of seconds of use. After that the water seems fine. Also, if the sprayer was used very recently (as in the last few hours) it doesn't smell. It seems to me this could be due to water sitting in the sprayer hose for a while and getting stagnant or moldy? The sprayer (Price Pfeister) and plumbing is all new and otherwise works fine(installed about 6 months ago). Or maybe it was installed/plumbed wrong? Any ideas? Or maybe the hose or supply lines are contaminted and need to be replaced?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2006, 07:34 PM
    It sounds to me like the water in the spray hose and spray head are getting stagnant, since it only smells for the first time and then after that it is OK. It would be good if you could someway get some bleach water into the spray hose, I can not think of how to do this without removing the spray hose from the faucet. One way might be pull the hose out as far as it will come out then unscrew the spray head off the hose and then shake the hose until you have removed a lot of the water inside, you also can lift the end of the hose above the faucet as far as you can, this may make some water run out the faucet. Do this without the water faucet being turned on. After you have removed as much water as possible try to pour some liquid bleach into the spray hose through the hole where you removed the spray head. You can to try to add more bleach as the bleach disapears in the hose. When you feel like the hose has all the bleach it is going to take replace the spray head and let this set for several hours. Then flush by running the spray. Hopefully this will clean the hose and stop the odor.

It is possile that the odor is caused by a gas ( Hydrogen sulfide) in your water supply and it precipitates out of the water as it sits for long times in the spray hose, if this is the case I know nothing to be done for that problem.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 4, 2006, 06:26 AM
    Letmetellu just gave you a dynamite solution. Allow me to add to it just a bit.
    There are a few things, however, that I might clear up. I don't think it's sulfur water,(hydrogen sulfide) that's in your system. If it were you would be complaining about more then just the sprayer. Also I don't think the water "stagnanted" in the hose. It just doesn't set there long enough to get stagnant. I suppect bacteria is growing in there.
    I quite agree with Letmetellu's method of addressing this problem but I would go a bit farther. I would unscrew the 1/8" hose connection located under the faucet and remove the sprayer head. I would then fill a large pan with bleach and soak both the hose and the sprayer head for a few hours making very sure the hose was completely filled with bleach. Since you didn't complain about the water coming out of the spout I assume the problem was just in the hose and sprayer head. Another option, since they are so inexpensive, would be to simply replace the hose and sprayer. Good luck, Tom
    JohnYuma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 07:43 AM
    We have the same problem in our sprayer. Our old sink, faucet, and sprayer were replaced about a year ago, and since then the water coming out of the sprayer hose is smelly and must be drained for a period of about 10 seconds before the odor is gone. It's the same water supply so I believe it is an installation problem, as our old sprayer did not have that problem. Why the sprayer hose retains water, and becomes stagnant I do not know. Seems like all the hoses and sprayers would meet the same standard. I know this did not answer the question, but maybe shed more light on the problem...

Thanks
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilikine27 View Post
    Hi! The sprayer (Price Pfeister) and plumbing is all new and otherwise works fine(installed about 6 mos ago). Or maybe it was installed/plumbed wrong? Any ideas? Or maybe the hose or supply lines are contaminted and need to be replaced?
    Hi all

Wouldn't it be covered by warranty , the faucet is 6 monthe old, Price pfeister will replace it for free. I would give it try, good luck.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 11:42 AM

I agree with all responses: replace plastic hose and handle. Smell will disappear...

Make sure you buy exactly the same hose and sprayer.
    wkievit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2010, 11:33 AM
    If the hose is a braided black material the smell is from the inner hose. I had the same problem and had to change the hose.
    It was not from mold or bacteria it was the out gassing of the hose material. It's a bad product and the warranty should cover it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2010, 04:33 PM

Wkievit,
    Good advice but you're responding to a thread that was posted over 4 years ago. Look in the upper left hand corner to see the date the post was written. Regards, Tom
    wkievit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2010, 05:23 PM

I hope this will help the next person with the same problem.
    qigrisu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 04:50 AM
    WE just bought a new hose for our sprayer. (Frome Lowe's, Made in CHina) It smells like ****!

I will not install it. These bad smells my be something added to the plastic with the idea that it will infuse into water that is standing in it, and I am afraid it will cause bio-damage to the person ingesting the water that it imparts this stuff to.

When God sends you a bad smell that says "don't", pay attention! I want to know more. It seems to me that such a device that imparts a bio agent to water at the spigot could defeat any water filtering that might have been done to remove harmful agents.

I am starting to distruct all things Chinese.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink w/sprayer hose plumbing diagram [ 1 Answers ]

I need a detailed diagram of how a sprayer hose is connected to the kitchen sink plumbing. I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find one that actually shows the sprayer hose and how is connected to the plumbing under the kitchen sink. I have found several that mention the sprayer hose but...

Kitchen Sink Sprayer blew off [ 5 Answers ]

HELP - I have the sprayer hose in my hand, I read out the diverter thing, if I put my finger over where the sprayer goes water will come out of the spout. I sprayer coupling appears to be still attached under the sink. Can I get help with a quick fix? I can't get it off, any suggestions to how I...

Kitchen sink sprayer [ 3 Answers ]

My kitchen sink sprayer will spray but only a trickle comes out. I seem to have no pressure. Can you help me fix this.

Loss of pressure for kitchen sink sprayer [ 17 Answers ]

My kitchen sink spray was working all right, plenty of pressure until I had a new faucet installed. The faucet has pressure (as before the change) but when I use the sprayer it goes down to almost a trickle. Before the change the faucet and sprayer had good pressure, now, only the sprayer has...

Kitchen sink sprayer pulsates [ 1 Answers ]

When we use our kitchen sink sprayer, it pulsates. It never used to do this, it has just started recently. Any thoughts? Thanks, Michele??

View more questions Search