Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slavikas Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Gum bleeding after installing a crown
    Hi folks,

I am wondering if you have seen something like this before. I had a crown installed about on a lower mollar a couple of months ago, and when I floss, the tread still comes out bleeding from the pocket, even after two months The dentist says it should have been healed long ago. He says he's never seet it before.

He suggest to re-do the crown at no cost. I am fine with it but where is the guarantee it is going to fix it, without knowing what is actually wrong?

Any experiences or ideas?

Thanks!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:33 PM

How deep is the pocket around the crown? If it is a periodontal condition, having the crown redone won't fix the problem. If the pocket is deeper than 6mm then you should see a periodontist and have him treat the area, if it's less than 6mm your dental hygienist should be able to help you with that.

Are you getting food stuck between the crown and the next tooth? If so, then replacing the crown may fix it.

Dec 17, 2008, 10:40 PM

flossie,

Thank you for replying so promptly!

I think the pocket is pretty deep.

I had had a crown there before, and it did not bleed. Then the new dentist said that the crown had a leak, so he re-did it. Before changing the crown I had a deep cleaning, and, per oral hygienist, pockets all around are receding now. When I floss, there is no bleeding anywhere except that tooth. There it's enough to apply just little pressure with floss and, per the dentist, it "bleeds like hell".

What is worrying is that this condition seemed to start right after changing the crown and did not improve for nearly two months, in spite of the recent deep cleaning.

My dentist has a good reputation and I trust him. From the other side, he is scratching his head. He said he would take to "old" new crown off and "see what is really going on" there. I am bit hesitant. In the end, my moth is not a car engine :-) It would really make sense to understand what is going on before taking such a drastic measure.

So, here I am :-)

Slavikas
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Dec 17, 2008, 11:41 PM

Sometimes if we put the crown too deep under the gums (too close to the bone) it will always be irritated, because there is not enough "seal" of the gum attaching to the tooth to keep bacteria out... (google "biological width") so you can ignore it and it may resolve, or get crown lengthening done (removal of some bone/gums o make the tooth longer)
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Dec 17, 2008, 11:42 PM

Sometimes if we put the crown too deep under the gums (too close to the bone) it will always be irritated, because there is not enough "seal" of the gum attaching to the tooth to keep bacteria out... (google "biological width") so you can ignore it and it may resolve, or get crown lengthening done (removal of some bone/gums to make the tooth longer)
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 04:38 AM

You could try using a WaterPik.

Gently irrigate the spot that is bleeding with 5 drops of Tea Tree Oil mixed in 1 cup of water. Hold the tip so that it is pointing between the tooth and gum and use LOW pressure. Flush the area out for a good 30 seconds to allow the solution to reach the base of the pocket and out again.

Do this for 2 weeks. You can continue irrigating after 2 weeks but alternate your solutions so you don't become resistant to one. Other solutions could be Listerine, Crest Pro Health, Chlorahexadine, salt water. After using ANY of the solutions flush warm water through the WaterPik to clean the tubing.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Dec 18, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    You could try using a WaterPik.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it.

Just out of curiosity, what is it supposed to do? Also, when should I do it, evening/morning?

What about flossing - should I continue flossing this place normally?

Slavikas
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 07:46 PM

Yes, definitely continue flossing. Keeping the pocket clean should stop the bleeding. Use the waterpik before going to bed.

Dec 18, 2008, 08:12 PM
    flossie,

Thank you very much for your help!

Slavikas
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 04:50 AM

You're welcome Slavikas!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bleeding during crown prep and throbbing pain after. [ 15 Answers ]

I had a lot of pain from erosion at the gum line on one of my molars. The dentist bonded in the area, but the pain persisted. 10 days ago, the tooth was prepped for a crown. During the prep, even though I was very numb, I felt some pain and pressure, which is not usual for me when I've been...

Crown vs. Post crown [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having a problem with a dental office I recently began visiting. Two dentists are at the site (one is retiring) and one recommends one thing, then when I sit in the chair to get the work done the other dentist comes in and recommends something completely different. I am going to...

Suggestions on installing crown moulding on curved fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

We're planning on installing crown moulding (4 5/8) in our living room, but we have this darned curved fireplace in the corner (hopefully I've attached the image successfully). I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on what to do -- should I look at purchasing some flexible moulding,...

Crown Lengething .how long before crown put on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding crown lengething. I had the procedure done when I had my wisdom teeth removed on a back molar and a temporary was placed on that tooth. Due to insurance issues I was not able to get the perminate till after the new year. How long does it take for the area to heal and...

View more questions Search