Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chefkaren Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Potty training a 1 year old shih tzu
    I just got a cute little 1 year old shih tzu about 2 weeks ago and I am having great difficulty potty training him. The previous owners didn't have him potty trained. I bought him a crate and take him out to "go potty" regularly. Then I keep him on a leash in the kitchen or in the bathroom so he won't go on my carpets. He will pee even right after I have taken him out and watched him go outsid. Help! This dog is such a great dog otherwise. Thanks~
    askaway123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2008, 09:53 PM

Good question, and such a nightmare for the pet owner. Have you tried praising it when going outside? The bell on door approach that someone mentioned?

What happens when you take them outside? Do you stand out there forever, then come back in and they go? If so, only stand out there a short amount of time. Come in. Take them about again later-- if they won't go outside in time, they might eventually realize that they have to be quick. Doesn't solve your going indoors problem, but, that's the hardest thing in the book to fix...
    gmschofer Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Dec 17, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Hi Chefkaren,

I have a one and half year old Shih Tzu also, he is a wonderful and very intelligent dog but also a bit stubborn.

The lady we got him from had trained him with puppy pads in the house and at first we thought "what a great idea!" but now I think it was bad because it taught him that it was okay to go in the house and I am having a lot of trouble breaking that habit. Shih Tzu's also are a bit wimpy (at least mine is) he does not like to get his paws very wet and I had to get him a sweater because he was shaking from the cold, but he does like to run around in the snow, go figure! He does know his words though, I have to stand outside and watch him so I know if he goes and I say "go potty" and he will sniff around and usually go but then maybe 15 min to half an hour later he will pee in the house just because he feels like it and he does not ask to go out! So I think I am going to have to get one of those indoor potties for the sake of my carpet but I am still going to keep working on getting him to go outside and I am going to try the bell technique to get him to ask to go outside.

Good luck and keep in touch on your progress and I will keep in touch with mine, we can compare notes! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Potty Training Shih Tzu [ 1 Answers ]

This is probably a tough one.. . My shih tzu is about a year and a half old. He is still not completely potty trained. I think we thought he was doing okay because he will not urinate in the area where he spends most of his time, which is our uncarpeted (vinyl) kitchen and dining area. It's a...

Potty Training Shih Tzu [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I work from home, and recently got a 9 week old shih tzu puppy. The breeder had told me that the puppy was litter box trained. What he meant was he put the puppy in the crate with a big pan full of litter, and the puppy used to sleep there and potty there. So now when I got him home, I got a...

Shih Tzu Potty Training Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old male shih tzu. He is doing well with knowing when to tell us when he has to potty outside and pees on everything he can. The problem is that he will not poop outside unless we go on a walk or have lots of run time. He seems to be stimulated by the exercise and will sometimes...

Potty Training Shih Tzu - Working Mom [ 3 Answers ]

I just got an 11 week old Shih Tzu 3 days ago. I am a teacher and we have been out of school all week because of a huge ice storm in the Midwest, but come Monday I will have to go back and the puppy will be alone for several hours. I live only about 3 minutes from my school so I can come home at...

View more questions Search