Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenelle12979 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Can a rabbit and guinea pig breed?
    Hi, So I have called several vets in my area and all of them tell me the same thing... that it is impossible for a female rabbit and a male guinea pig to breed. Here is my situation: I have a female rabbit that lives in the same pen as a male guinea pig. The female rabbit got pregnant with our male rabbit and we moved the male rabbit out of the cage still allowing the male guinea pig to stay in with the female rabbit. The female rabbit had 4 babies. One day when we went to go out and check on them (the babies had just turned a month old), we discovered that the female rabbit had a new litter of 3 babies. One died, leaving 2 babies. She was NEVER with the male rabbit and we only have 1 male rabbit. Was this immaculate conception, or is the male guinea pig the culprit. It's acutally kind of funny because these new babies actually look half guinea pig/half rabbit. They really don't look like the other baby bunnies who are a month old. Does someone have any answers out there?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 04:35 PM
    I asked of my close friends who has bred rabbits for the past 14 years and he said it was impossible for the female rabbit to mate with the male guinea pig. What you describe may well be science news!
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 4, 2007, 11:17 AM
    I have to see it, please post a picture and I'll tell you
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Apr 4, 2007, 11:46 AM
    I would love to see pics of the guinea rabbit pig :)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 11:49 AM
    I second that! It would be amazing!
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Read this...
    Guinea Pigs: Guinea pigs/Rabbits breeding together
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 22, 2007, 07:17 PM
    This would be impossible.. okay the female could have been pregnant and not had the full litter and then later had the rest of the rabbits (conceived @ different times) with the rabbit and that is why you think that your guinea pig got her pregnant. This is the only answer because sometimes this does happen.

*** post edited for content (fr_chuck)
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

May 24, 2007, 06:27 PM
    If in fact this isn't the typical oh hey lets see what happens if I post this, to get the world freakin out, then that guinea pig is possible john holmes reincarnated. Because its just doesn't add up so to speak.
    bacforever Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Um, is there anyway another maybe wild rabbit could have reached yours?
    Technically a G.P and rabbit cannot breed but I'd be interested to see the results!

I'll check up for other cases,

b*
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Hmmmm! I Would Like To See Some Pictures Of That.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Well let me clarify, I would like to see some pictures of the offspring. I am not saying they wouldn't breed. I just am skeptical about the possibility of offspring being produced.
    smack2000w Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Yes they can mate we have 4 with pics to prove it.
    They all have rabbitt bodies , with pig heads at first we thought one was deformed but we have 4 about 5 weeks old.
    Would love to read comments on this , because it has us wondering how this can happen
    bacforever Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Cn u post a pic?
    Just for interests sake, but I would like to clarify that if cetain animals of the same breed can't produce young (ie. Big cats) then it is very sceptical that two completely different species can
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bacforever
    cn u post a pic?
    Just for interests sake, but i would like to clarify that if cetain animals of the same breed can't produce young (ie. big cats) then it is very sceptical that two completely different species can
    Never heard of tigons and ligers? They are lion/tiger crosses.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 01:28 AM
    Rabbits and guine pigs cannot breed, that's like a dog and a cat breeding, it doesn't work. They are different species, they would not be able to have offspring, the genes do not fit together like that.

Big cats are different kinds of the same species.

Rabbits and Guinea pigs are not the same species.
    OlivesNCream Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2007, 09:19 PM
    I'm going to have to go with a big NO on this case.

Interspecies breeding just... isn't a possibility [it'd be like a cat mating with a dog and coming out with kuppies or pittens p.O just not going to work... ]

I'm not quite certain if rabbits are the same as dogs or cats-- but in some animals, it is possible for them to be bred *twice* - and sometimes they can be bred twice by *different* 'fathers'. So it's quite possible that your Buck bred your Doe twice before you realized she was pregnant and she had her first litter of Kits then the others were bred close enough to the first that she had the second litter of Kits soon after.

The fact that they apparently look kind of like guinea pigs... ehh... that sounds a bit like wishful thinking for the impossible...
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 01:31 PM

I had a female rabbit in the house, never outside, and a male GP with her she ended up having to babies, both dying, because there chromosomes are different, thus causing gene screw-up that had killed both of them, while they are in the mother it is less likely they would die since there not the ones breathing, eating, digesting, so until they start doing that they will live but once there genes, and cells become a part of there life... the end:(
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 03:27 PM

Okay, I have rabbits, have always had rabbits, and when I was young we also had guinea pigs. We always housed them together, no neutering or spaying because you didn't do that to rabbits and guinea pigs back then. We never had babies.

It would be like a human mating with an ape. Sure, they can have intercourse (wrong, so wrong) but no offspring would be produced.

Rabbits and guinea's are very close species, which is why they get along so well, but guinea rabbits, I don't think so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Human VS Pig [ 7 Answers ]

I have heard that the pig is very close to humans genetically but what are the most identifiable differences between the DNA of the two?

Guinea pig death [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm kind of new to this but my little girl had 2 guinea pigs, both female. I went to feed them earlier and discovered one of them had died. Is there anything I need to do for the other guinea as I know she'll be lonely without her pal?

Guinea Pigs and Mites [ 6 Answers ]

I have five guinea pigs and there is a possibility that they all have mites. I have taken one to the vet in the past for mites, back when I only had one, and they treated with Ivermectin. I want to know if there are any other things that I can do at home. I know you can purchase Revolution online,...

1 of my guinea pigs died. [ 4 Answers ]

I had two guinea pigs. One male one female. Both 3 years old. The male died today and we are considering getting another pig to keep the female company. Is this a good idea? Please help!! :(

Possible ringworm in guinea pig [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what over the counter medication can be used for a guinea pig with possible ringworm? Thanks

View more questions Search