Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walk58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 08:41 PM
    I have had a molar extracted with dry socket
    I had a molar tooth extracted and ended up with a dry socket which had to be packed three times now the gum never closed it formed a bubble inside the hole which is now hanging out of the hole from the inside and it is starting to hurt on the inside and the outside on the bone next to my cheek. What is this bubble that formed on the inside of the hole in my gum?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 05:29 AM

In a patient with a dry socket, blood does not fill up the extraction socket or the blood clot is lost. The gums can not grow over the extraction socket because there's nothing to grow over and the hole remains open. This opening causes a constant dull throbbing pain and the patient can often have a foul smelling breath and bad taste in the mouth. Ear pain is another possible dry socket symptom.

It's called a dry socket because the hole, or socket, that the tooth used to fit into becomes dry. It begins hurting about three days after oral surgery. Unfortunately, the pain lasts about a week after it begins. The dental name is acute alveolar osteitis. Acute means all of a sudden. Alveolar is the name of the bone that supports teeth. -itis means inflamed and osteo- means bone. Osteitis means bone inflammation. Acute alveolar osteitis means sudden inflammation of the bone that supports a tooth.

Dentists don't know exactly what causes a dry socket. It occurs more with lower teeth than upper teeth and more with females than males. The problem occurs more often after difficult extractions. It may be that forceful pushing against the wall of the socket when the tooth is being removed causes the walls of the tooth socket to become crushed. This prevents bleeding into the socket because the blood vessels have been crushed closed. The lack of blood then causes severe pain.

Anything that dislodges the clot can cause a dry socket. Forceful spitting or sucking though a straw can pull a clot completely out of its socket. Patients should wait a day before rinsing with warm salt water to avoid dissolving the new blood clot. When salt water rinsing, spit gently to avoid pressure. Carbonated beverages should be avoided because they may bubble the clot out. Alcoholic drinks can dry out the blood clot and prevent healing. Avoid smoking for a few days after dental extractions because smoking can disturb clot formation. Patients who have recently had oral surgery should avoid anything that may irritate the socket or anything that may cause the clot from being dislodged. Follow our oral surgery post operative instructions carefully to avoid dry socket treatment.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Dec 11, 2008, 11:49 PM

The dentist should do a post op check... for now, take ibuprofen, rinse with salt water, and Don't smoke or drink through a straw

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert A15 intermediate socket to A19 standard socket [ 10 Answers ]

I need more light from my Hampton Bay ceiling fan light. It has the new A15 Intermediate base bulb and does not put out enough light. Is there a fluorescent bulb available for the Intermediate base socket? Is there an adapter available for the socket that would allow me to use a Standard size...

New 3 wire socket replacing two wire socket [ 5 Answers ]

We have a room that had a 2 wire socket, originally installed, and a three wire socket that was changed from a two wire socket by myself, called "Socket A". Recently an electrician installed two small fans in the same room and changed the 2 wire socket "Socket B" into a 3 wire socket. He did not...

Molar enthalpy [ 1 Answers ]

Burning 3.00g of ethane causes 1.00L of water to increase in temperature 2.79 degrees Celsius. Calculate the molar enthalpy of combustion of ethane from this data.

Wisdom tooth only halfway extracted by dentist... is this normal? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had three wisdom teeth pulled. They came through the gum like molars, so I was told they were able to be pulled. I had x-rays, etc. before the procedure. My top two came out fine. My dentist told me that part of the root was still in my jaw, but would be OK. She then tried to pull out my...

View more questions Search