Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beamer33 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 04:32 PM
    No water coming out of hot water side for kitchen sink
    Only water from the line of the cold side is coming out of the kitchen faucet. No water is coming out of the line for the hot water. We checked the faucets for the rest of the house and there is no problems (both bathrooms). What could be the problem. This problem happened today. I need some help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Hey Beamer:

Shut off the hot water shut off to the sink and then take the flexible hose (from shutoff to faucet) and remove it from the faucet attachment and direct it into a bucket and then turn hot water shutoff back on for a second or two... if water flows strongly then issue is in the faucet. If water flows weakly then the issue may be at the shutoff itself.

If issue at the faucet then shut the hot and cold water shutoffs and remove the guts to the faucet. Then clean the guts/cartridge, etc, then pulse the hot water shutoff (make sure you reconnected it to faucet... ;) ) on for a few seconds while covering the valve with a rag... is water strong flow? Then replace the parts and turn water back on. See if that resolves issue. If not, then may need to replace the cartridge/guts, etc.

If issue is at the shutoff then you would need to shut the cold water feed into the water heater and then drain the water pipes to the lowest sink in the house (turn on only hot side of 2 handle faucets... DO NOT open single handle valves). Then remove the stem assembly from the shutoff (one at a time) and then pulse the water feed to the water heater for a second or two to send debris into a rag covering the shutoff. Then re-install stem and then test all and see how you did.

These are the first steps to take. Try them and let us know what you discover...

MARK
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

Dec 8, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Locate the cutoff valve for the hot water under neath the sink in the cabinet. Turn it counter clockwise until it stops. Now the hot water should be off. Of course if this valve is already turned off, you have found your problem. With hot water turned off. Disconnect the pipe or hose connection at the sink. Have something ready to catch the water spillage and turn the cutoff valve on. If hot water comes out of the pipe/hose, then the problem is in the sink fixture. Sink fixtures can be repaired or replaced. The choice is yours. If you decide to repair, ask again with more detailed info on the fixture. There are many plumbers monitoring this site and willing to provide free advice.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Seems we are in agreement then Bones.. :)

Welcome to the site!

Dec 8, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Thank you so much. I am going to try what you both have suggested and will let you know.

Beamer 33
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Good luck!

Dec 8, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Hello I have disconnected the Flex hose from the hot water valve under the sink. I turned on the hot water and no water flowed out of the pipe under the sink. What can should I do next?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Need to shut off cold water feed into the water heater (controls hot water out) and then disassemble the shutoff under the sink and see if you can find what is blocking the shutoff.

Will be a good idea to PULSE water on/off a few times to clear the line if have some help... ;)

See what happens after that... let us know.

MARK

Dec 8, 2008, 05:58 PM
    So far nothing has worked :(
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Beamer... you shut cold water intothe water heater and then removed the guts, turned hot water back on and no water came out of the shutoff without the stem in place??

Let me know...

Dec 8, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Forgive me... I am a novice. What do you mean when you say, remove the guts?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 06:10 PM
    I mean the stem assembly? After you remove the handle there is a nut... loosen that nut completely off and then unscrew the STEM assembly ("the guts") and remove that completely. Then examine the stem and the washer... then if nothing obvious such as half missing or stuck in the pipe instead of attached to the stem you need to PULSE the cold water on at the heater to feed some water to this shutoff to see if water is getting to the shutoff. If water is getting there, problem is at this stem...

Let me know...

Dec 8, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Thanks for the explanation... it helps a lot. My husband is upstairs in the kitchen following your directions. I will let you know how it is going. I really appreciate your help.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 06:23 PM

If you can't figure out how to dissasemble shutoff under the sink, then you may look at replacing the whole shutoff valve(not kitchen sink faucet, just the shutoff valve below the sink. IF you are interested in doing this , just let us know. Before replacing shutoff, may just try removing shutoff valve completely, then turn main water back on and see if you get flow then.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Yup.. also a good idea MGD77...

A 5/8" x 3/8" compression straight or angle stop would allow them to cut the old shutoff off and just install a the new stop WITHOUT SOLDERING. As MGD77 said, pulse water to be sure water is present at that point for sure...

Thanks...
    Attached Images

Dec 8, 2008, 06:42 PM

I was able to get the srew off the stem and when I turned on the hot water, water gushed out of the hole where the screw had been taken out.

Dec 8, 2008, 06:44 PM
    I was able to disconnect the screw from the stem and when I opened the hot water valve water gushed out of the hole where the srew was. So it loks like water is getting to the stem. Under the sink.

Dec 8, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Hey guys it looks like I am going to have to pay HomeDepot if visit. I thank you for all of your help. Gob bless you all and have a Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Year.:)
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 07:09 PM

Sounds like you located the problem. Good job. Let us know how it all works out. And yes, have a Very Merry CHRISTmas and a perfect new year

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

Hot water coming from cold side tap even though hot water supply shut off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I been having problem for past year now hot water comes from the cold side tap, I only have 1 tap that shares water hot and cold the other 2 I have are 2 separate hot cold and 2 are just cold taps now I have even shut the cold water supply to the hot water tank off, but yet when I run the...

Low water pressure kitchen sink after water heater flush [ 4 Answers ]

I flushed my water heater today. When I was done, the water pressure at all the sinks, tub, washer, dishwasher, etc worked just fine, except for the kitchen sink. I took out the aerator and confirmed there was nothing there. Ran the water without the aerator in and water pressure is still about...

Single lever kitchen faucet has very little water coming out hot side [ 4 Answers ]

I have a new (1 year old) single lever kitchen faucet that has normal flow when the lever is turned to the cold side but only a small trickle of water come out when turned to the hot side. I changed the disc with no results.

Hot and cold water coming out everywhere but the kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, something weird, at least to me, is that I was using the faucet in the kitchen sink and all of sudden the water stop running.. but just in the kitchen while is perfectly running in the rest of the house! Can somebody help me?:confused:

View more questions Search