Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moscanero Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2008, 02:42 AM
    Red Spots on gold fish?
    I currently own a 5 gallon tank with 2 goldfish and a pleco. The tank was just treated for high ammonia and the fish were put back in today.
    One of my goldfish, a comet, has a cluster of red spots near his tail fin. I did some research but I came up with a lot of possibilities. They were Red Pest, Bloat and Flukes.
    All of the fish seem to be acting like nothing is going on, but I still don't want to put it off. My fish mean a lot to me.
    The question is... if it is one of the bacterial diseases, should I start treating the infected fish first before treating the others? Or just treat them all at once.
    Thanks!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 10:15 AM
    I always feel bad having to break the news to unsuspected fishkeepers
    That their aquarium is too small for the fish they have, as in this case,
    There is simply not enough water to house the fish you have so that they
    Can remain healthy.

The red spots and streaks on the tail are signs of 1) bacterial infections
    And 2) parasite infections.
    The high ammonia your aquarium you're experiencing is due to an uncycled
    Aquarium: please see Aquarium Cycle sticky note that explains the process.
    The stress caused by ammonia in the aquarium can cause disease and parasitic breakouts.

As for treating the ammonia, use a product called Cycle by Nutrafin and
    Do not remove the fish or over clean the tank while using this product.
    It will quickly cycle the aquarium for you. Over cleaning removes beneficial
    Bacteria that is important to keep the cycle going and the water free of toxins.

Treating the infections. I recommend first using Jungle Brand Fungus or
    Parasite fizz tabs.

It would be in the best interest for your fish if you moved up to at least a
    10 gallon aquarium and a 20 gallon would even be better.

All the treatments mentioned above can be used all at once on all fish.
    The fish showing no signs of the illness have still been exposed to it and
    Will need the early treatment.

If you have any other questions, concerns, or anything, please let me know.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping
    moscanero Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2008, 10:31 AM

I'm currently saving the money to get the larger tank set up. I have it, just not what it needs. It should be set up within a month.
    Thanks for your advice, it will make my shoping list for my fish not as long.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mark on gold ring , is it really gold? [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a "gold" ring that was advertised as 10K gold but upon receipt I find that the mark is not exactly 10K. It has what looks to be a capital U with what looks to be an arrow passing horizontally through it from left to right, but the arrow tip is not visible, only the arrow "tail", It is...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Gold Fish Cloudy Tank [ 2 Answers ]

We have 3 fairly large gold fish species, what size tank is adequate? One is showing signs of listing and black spots? They only get feed once a day and filter is changed often. Help grand kids coming soon. Thanks

View more questions Search