Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Delilah P Posts: 82, Reputation: 14

Dec 7, 2008, 01:19 AM
    Can girlfriend live with boyfriend when ex-wife is paying alimony?
    This is in California.. maybe Cadillac59 is looking in! Does anyone know if an ex-wife must still pay alimony/support to her ex-husband (no minor children involved) if he now has a girlfriend living with him? They have put off marriage until the set time of payment from the ex-wife is exhausted. Doesn't seem right that he can set up housekeeping with another woman while the ex-wife is required to pay him monthly. I think she has to continue payment for 2 years, or unless he remarries, whichever comes first. But, what if they are living together just to get around the marriage part so he can still collect?
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Dec 7, 2008, 01:50 AM

You said it: "continue payment for 2 years, or unless he remarries, whichever comes first".

Dec 7, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Thanks, AT YOUR SERVICE. But, are you also saying that the guy and girlfriend CAN live together while he collects living expenses from his ex-wife?? Isn't that like having your cake and eating it? They can put off an official marriage for at least 2 years so he can collect money from his ex, but still live with his girlfriend in his home? Thanks for any other insight.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 05:19 PM

If that is the way the paperwork for his alimony is written, yes, he can have his cake and eat it too and the ex wife can't do anything about it legally.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah P View Post
    This is in California .. maybe Cadillac59 is looking in! Does anyone know if an ex-wife must still pay alimony/support to her ex-husband (no minor children involved) if he now has a girlfriend living with him? They have put off marriage until the set time of payment from the ex-wife is exhausted. Doesn't seem right that he can set up housekeeping with another woman while the ex-wife is required to pay him monthly. I think she has to continue payment for 2 years, or unless he remarries, whichever comes first. But, what if they are living together just to get around the marriage part so he can still collect?
    Gosh, this comes up all the time. I've got a case right now where this is an issue.

In California cohabitation with a person of the opposite sex is a basis to terminate support or to reduce it. But it is not an automatic reduction or termination. There is only a presumption of reduced need in such cases- and the cohabiting parties don't have to hold themselves out as husband and wife for the presumption to apply (Family Code Section 4323). There must also be some kind of romantic relationship going on, and not involve just a couple of folks who are friends sharing a dwelling.

I think cohabitation alone constitutes a change of circumstances justifying a modification of support (although the statute seems a little ambiguous in this respect suggesting there should be some other additional change of circumstances for modification).

As a practical matter these cases are really hard to prove. People lie all the time about either the nature of the relationship or their living together or both. So watch out. Check the disso decree also because if it says cohabitation won't matter while support is payable then the statute doesn't apply (I've never seen any such language in any disso decree by the way).

The simple answer to your question of whether the ex can live with his girlfriend and still collect the spousal support is yes, of course. But the good news is the ex-wife/support obligor can seek a modification or termination of the support because of the cohabitation; but it can be an uphill battle. Like I said, it's not an automatic termination as applies in a remarriage.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Dec 7, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Cadillac59 is right. Proving it would be the issue. 1st proving that she "lives" there versus stays often.

If she does live there, proving the relationship may be an issue. He could claim he was not getting enough from the ex and he needed to get a roommate to help with expenses. Then he can show she has paid 1/2 the rent.

Dec 7, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Thanks ATYOURSERVICE, cadillac59 and twinkiedooter.. this is the exact information I had needed. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you live after paying child support from your ssi benefits? [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to help my son, we live in KY and He really needs all the help he can get.. He pays 3/4 of his SSI ck every month in child support. I would like to find out if this is really legal.

Can my Room mate's boyfriend live in our shared apartment without paying? [ 5 Answers ]

I currently live in a two bedroom apartment in Ontario with my boyfriend (who pays rent and is on the lease) and my previous room mate of last year (who pays rent and is on the lease). However, my previous room mate has a boyfriend who has consistently been in our apartment (approx. 6 days a week...

Not paying alimony [ 2 Answers ]

I filed for divorce recently and have been married 6 years how do I get out of paying alimony to my wife Iam from Ohio. Thank you

Alimony ex wife inherited lots of money [ 1 Answers ]

I was divorced in Florida 1998 and pay 400.00 per month. I'm now remarried and wife is bed ridden med bills are killing me. My ex has inherited lots of money,and my question is can I get rid of the alimony?

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search