Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vegetablelasagn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 05:10 PM
    How much does it cost to "rough in" plumbing in a garage?
    I would like to convert my father in laws garage into an apartment. The garage right now is a typical standard one car garage. I would need a full bath and kitchen. I was wondering how much it would cost to install water lines, and drains. Can the water come from the main house? Would it be more expensive to have the bath and kitchen on completely opposite sides of the garage? How much would it cost to hook up to the sewer? I will do most of the other work myself but I know that this is not something just anyone can do! Any info appriciated, thanks!:)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vegetablelasagn View Post
    I would like to convert my father in laws garage into an apartment. The garage right now is a typical standard one car garage. I would need a full bath and kitchen. I was wondering how much it would cost to install water lines, and drains. Can the water come from the main house? Would it be more expensive to have the bath and kitchen on completly opposite sides of the garage? How much would it cost to hook up to the sewer? I will do most of the other work myself but I know that this is not something just anyone can do! Any info appriciated, thanks!:)
    You neglected to include a set of plans. Plus your area, plus the local wages if you need to hire a plumber. It's impossible to estimate a job without being on site to see for yourself. Each remodel's different. Regards, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 05:26 PM

My estimate... between 100 and 20,000 dollars, give or take.

What I'm saying is this... you will most likely have to bring in a plumbing contractor to size up your situation. If any one here gives you a serious estimate from the info you have given, I would seriously recommend not taking their advice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 05:30 PM

Here is my advice, call 3 contractors and ask for their bids. Now there is no guessing and you aren't obligated to hire any of them. This is the highest accuracy you can get since we aren't on site. If a contractor gives you a great price, hire him, if not then DIY. They will all break out materials for you. My very broad ballpark would be $10K to $15K with you doing the work. Don't forget HVAC and power needs to be added, can your existing panel carry that load too?
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 05:46 PM

Ball, your not the one giving a serious estimate, are you? Lol

Actually ballengerbs advice is great.

I realize you plan to do most of the work yourself except for plumbing. So I would still recommend calling only the contractors you will need help from(plumbing, electrical, etc). If you have a handle on carpentry, flooring, electrical, etc, etc, just have a plumbing business give the estimate for their work.
    vegetablelasagn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 02:49 PM

Thank you guys, I guess there really is no way to estimate with out calling a contractor to come look at it. I quess I thought that some things basically cost x to do.
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 03:44 PM

Please do let us know what the contracors estimate is, in detail. Good luck and hope your project goes smoothly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlet 11" from wall. Can I use a 12" rough-in toilet? [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a new toilet in a very old bathroom. There is exactly 11" from the wall to the exact center of the outlet. The outlet itself is 4" in diameter, so 12" from the wall is still over the opening. My question is: Can I use a toilet with a 12" rough-in distance for this situation. I'm...

Why two 2" pipes in rough plumbing basement bath? [ 2 Answers ]

The plumbing drainage is roughed in my unfinished basement. I recognize the shower/tub drain and the toilet drain. There are two 2" pipes coming out of basement floor one on each side of toilet drain. One has to be for the sink but not sure what the other is for. Any help would be appreciated. ...

WE had a rough relationship, should I stay or go? "Long topic" [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I don't really know where to start, all I know is that I just need some advice on what to do in a break. I guess I'll start from talking about me and my gal's relationship from the beginning. We had very different life styles, she has a very closed in life style where her dad is very strict...

Garage Door Opener "rough-in" [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm in the process of wirring a detached garage, and I'm considering installing an automatic garage door opener. My question is: since I didn't purchase the machine yet (in fact, I don't know too much about how these things are connected at all), can someone give me some advice on how to...

View more questions Search