Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chania1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 09:29 AM
    How do I get emancipated in Minnesota?
    I am 16 yrs.old, a senior in high school and I live in Minneapolis,Mn.I am in dying need to become emanciptaed but I don't know what's required to do so.Can someone please tell me how to get emancipated?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 09:31 AM
    In dire need! Contact an attorney
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Why are you in such need? Are you abused, do you get beaten, is your life in danger.. Well you need to have a job, and have money saved for an attorney. You will need to make enough money to pay rent and utilities and to live on. Then you petition the court.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 10:59 AM
    There are only three ways to become emancipated.

You must:

1. Join the military (but you must be 17 to be eligible to join, and there is always the possibility that the military will say no for various reasons.) And, at the age of 17, a minor still needs parental consent to enlist in the armed services.

Or

2. Get married. To get married, you need your parents’ permission, although in some states you can get married without your parents’ permission if the female is pregnant or has given birth, which means you take on the expenses not just for yourself, but for a child as well. To be married w/o parental consent, whether pregnant or not, the minor still needs a court order in EVERY state in order to marry.

Or

3. Have your parent’s permission. To do this, a parent must tell the court that they no longer wish to have control over the child and are willing to relinquish his/her rights and obligations to the minor, AND the minor must prove to be self-sufficient.

To become emancipated WITHOUT any of the above, the child must be able to prove that either the parent has abandoned the child, OR the parent mistreats the child.

Mistreating does NOT include arguments, discipline, enforcement of rules (curfew, grounding, limited time on computer or cell phones), dictating who the child may associate with, or requiring the child to perform household chores. Mistreating DOES include parental abuse (physical or mental), neglect or failure to support.

When applying for emancipation, the petition needs the following information:
    1. The name, address, residence, and date of birth of the minor.
    2. The name, address, and current location of each of the minor's parents, if known.
    3. The name, date of birth, custody, and location of any children born to the minor.
    4. A statement of the minor's character, habits, education, income, and mental capacity for business.
    5. A plan for success, i.e. an explanation of how the needs of the minor with respect to food, shelter, clothing, medical care, and other necessities will be met.
    6. Whether the minor is a party to or the subject of a pending judicial proceeding.
    7. A statement of the reason why the court should grant emancipation.

If the minor does not have the permission of BOTH parents for emancipation, then the parent who has NOT consented must be served with the petition, so to be made aware of the process.

The plan for success must include explanations for how the minor meet the following needs:

1. Shelter (rent AND utilities)
    2. Food
    3. Clothing
    4. Medical Care (securing medical insurance)
    5. Transportation
    6. Living necessities (toilet paper, toothpaste, soap, shampoo and other “sundries.”)
    7. School supplies
    8. Furniture

The minor must also consider how s/he will pay for the following non-necessities:
    1. Phone (cell and/or land line)
    2. Television
    3. Entertainment
    4. Computer/internet access

When applying for housing, remember that a landlord may be reluctant to rent to a minor despite their emancipation status. In this case, a landlord can protect him/herself by asking the minor to find an adult to co-sign the lease. If any problems occur, the landlord can pursue the adult for the unpaid rent or other problems. So minors may still need an adult to help them secure housing.

Employers are bound by child labor laws, so a minor will not be allowed to work full time at a single job, despite emancipation status, until s/he reaches the age of 18.

Emancipated minors are required to remain in school full time until they reach the age of 18.

If emancipation is granted, the minor will have the status of an adult for purposes of all criminal and civil laws.

And, last but not least, if the state does NOT have statutes or case law allowing for emancipation, it is not an option. You cannot file for emancipation in another state that you may wish to move to once emancipated.

Also,When a child becomes emancipated they are asking the judge to grant them authority to do the same things as a person who has reached the Age of Majority which is or 18 or 19 years old in most states.  In the State of Minnesota this age is 19. 
    If the child receives permission from the court or the parents to be emancipated then the parents or the guardians are not responsible for the child.  That means they are not obligated to provide money, medical insurance or any other kind of support.
    Before a child gets emancipated he or she must be able to provide for themselves, handle their own money and have a legal way to make money.  All these conditions at a minimum must be met before the judge will make a ruling in favor of the child.
    What are some of the general rules on how to get emancipated in Minnesota?
    The child must be a resident of Minnesota
    The child has to be at least 16 years of age
    The child must be living separate and apart from the parents or guardian
    The child must be capable of supporting himself or herself financially and managing his or her own affairs
    Each parent or guardian must consent (although there are certain exceptions)
    Not a ward of the state
    Just because a child becomes emancipated there are still certain responsibilities the child must take care of themselves:
    Cannot drink alcohol until the legal age in that state
    Must attend school
    Cannot get married unless he/she has parents permission
    Cannot vote until the age of 18
    Cannot purchase cigarettes or alcohol
    Cannot purchase or possess firearms
    Now for the good news about emancipation.  The child who is granted emancipation can get medical care, apply for a work permit, sign up for school and go to college and live where he/she wants to.  Remember this is a big responsibility and when you ask for it you really should be ready to receive it.

If you want to get emancipated then go to the appropriate juvenile court to start the proceedings.  You probably be interviewed to make sure you understand the ramifications of emancipation.  If it is deemed that you are a candidate then a petition in juvenile court should be filed to start the process. 

Once you are emancipated make sure you keep your papers with you at all times.  When things occur you might have to provide proof of emancipation!
    EmancipationOfU Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 12:50 PM

Legal Aid Society/ Youth law project, They are located on west lake and 4th.

You have to meet a certain criteria to become emancipated:

You must have stable income
    And secured shelter
    Lashaye94 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2010, 03:58 PM
    Well I'm 15 years old and I just found out that you only have to be 14 years old to be emancipated.
    beaner.1994 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 05:14 PM
    You only have to be 14 in Minnesota? Well I've wanted to be emancipated since I was 13, waiting until now being 16. I wish I knew this sooner, if that's true. I have a daughter at home, and I am possibly pregnant again. I'm also harassed and hurt physically and mentally at home by my parents and my sister. It's been going on for a while, Probably since grade school (5th grade) I'm going to be 17 on black Friday this year (November 25th) I would really like to get myself and my daughter out of this unstable household, neither of us deserv the environment where we don't feel safe going to sleep at night, If anyone knows anymore information, it would be GREATLY apprietiated... or if anyone has links to webpages, or phone numbers.. I don't know exactly how to make the first step in the process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emancipation In Minnesota [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 17 and have been trying to get an apartment but every manager requires me to be emancipated. My Guardian called the courthouse to get information on it and they said that they dont do emancipation in the state of Minnesota. Is this true? Is there any way I can get emancipated? help Thanks

Confused in Minnesota [ 7 Answers ]

I really don't know if this is the area for me to be posting this question, but I am married to a guy who has a kid from a pervious marriage, and I love the child very much, so obviusly not my issue. My issue is the fact that when my husband was married to his ex; they had some issues and briefly...

View more questions Search