Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nhitalian Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Craftsman Lawn Tractor Hydroststic oil type?
    Hello
    I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor Model 917273201 Hydrostatic drive model 222 3010L, I need to change the oil, what type of oil does it use?
    Daniel
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 10:13 PM

Hi,
    The transmission does indeed show a filter but the manual states that it is not serviceable and the fluid is good for the life of the machine
    TRANSAXLE PUMP FLUID
    The transaxle was sealed at the factory
    And fluid maintenance is not required for
    The life of the transaxle. Should the
    Transaxie ever leak or require servicing,
    Contact your nearest authorized service
    Center/department.
    CouldI email you the manual? Too large to post!
    Peace,
    Clarke

Nov 26, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Hello
    Yes, I have the manual how ever that is for the average home owner and is incorrect
    This axle should have the fluid changed every 100 hours, I have done my home work on this. The axle does not leak- The tractor stopped and was making a whinning noise in gear, So I removed the filter and the fluid was WHITE with CLUMPS of WHITE = seriouse moisture contamination, It has a drain and I drained it, I added 2 quarts of 5W 20W oil while I was draining to help flush it, closed it up ran it again off the ground to circulate, Then I drained it completely, I wanted to replace the filter how ever Sears wanted $36 for it -Insane, I tried to match one up with no luck, so I just flushed it and put it back on, I closed up the axle filled it with 5w 20w oil to 1 inch from top of vent pipe- I purged the air as described in the manual and the tractor never ran better "Like New" For $10 I saved over $300 in service costs, I still have no answer on what type of oil is recommended I got 5 different answers from 5 different source, I decided to use the 5w 20w as suggected by a very good local shop, Oh well back and running and ready for snow! I hope?
    I am not your average home owner and would not bring the tractor in to get screwed in service fees and wait 3 weeks, it took all of 45 minutes and seems to be fine so far, Still want a definitive answer on the fluid type and a cheap filter replacment, Thanks for trying!

Nov 26, 2008, 07:03 AM

Hello again
    All manuals are free on the Sears website
    Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com
    Daniel

Nov 26, 2008, 02:06 PM

Hi,
    The correct oil is:
    210-3010L
    Seal Kit 70052 (Axle), Seal Kit 2513013 (BDU-10L)
    Sealant 50928
    Grease, 1 oz. (30 ml), 50416
    Oil Volume: 67 fl.oz. (1981 ml) For models 163198, 150073,
    All other –3010L models 100 fl. oz. (2957 ml)
    Oil Type, 10w-40
    From the Hydro-Gear specs
    Peace,
    Clarke

Nov 26, 2008, 03:31 PM

Hello
    Awesome, real information I can use, I will change to the correct fluids, Can you post the link of the information? Thanks again
    Daniel

Nov 26, 2008, 09:40 PM

Hi,
    Hydro-Gear itself is next useless, used to be other! A large dealer still had the info, be aware that conflicting fluid recommendations exist. Most now recommend 10W30 because of the improvements in oil and the additive packages.
    Hydro-Gear parts - Hydro-Gear transmission Parts, Diagrams and Serice/Repair Manuals
    Please enjoy and always
    Peace,
    Clarke

Nov 26, 2008, 10:32 PM

Clarke
    This is awesome, I new it was out there and not some big government secret. I already downloaded the files, I am very aware that everybody has there own better fluid type and all are usable, my cold weather calls for a lighter fluid as perscribed by a local tech =5w20. So its been a good expirence especially since I am driving it now all day, LOL
    The best one is 20w 50 synthetic or so I am told, LOL
    Thanks again especially for this link, I have 25 riders here <grin>
    Daniel
    GentleRN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 12:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nhitalian View Post
    Hello
    I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor Model 917273201 Hydrostatic drive model 222 3010L, I need to change the oil, what type of oil does it use?
    Daniel
    Daniel,

This has nothing to do with your tractor. :) Do you live in Nashua NH?
    Atilla98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 07:23 AM
    If your transmission is a Tecumseh / Peerless LTH model - here is the repair manual : http://billious.com/dl/Tecumseh.MM.Peerless.LTH.Supplement.696571.pdf . The oil spec is on p 11 : 80 w 90. The same as outboard engine lower unit gear oil. You will probably need a manual outboard oil pump to access it if you leave the everything in place. The fill point is on top of the tramsmission under the plastic expansion reservoir - lift it out - .
    Garrett
    Trathedragon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2016, 02:46 PM
    Clark,

Hoping you can help me clarify:
    Hydro-Gear 163198 (222-3010L)
    Filter 2P0380651

Does it take 100oz or 67oz of 10w-40?

Thanks,
    Tracey

Apr 23, 2016, 09:19 AM
    Hi,
    Sorry, did notice the request for a link immediately, bu it is:
    Residential Products - Hydro-Gear
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Lawn Tractor - Unable to Start Tractor [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I currently having difficulty starting my Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor, (Model# 917.259830). I was using the tractor and had to shut it off to move a lawn hose. When I tried to start it again it just clicked. Specifically upon turning the keying, it makes a click sound followed by a whin....

Craftsman lawn tractor [ 2 Answers ]

We have an older ( 8 to 10 years old) Craftsman that suddenly quit. I checked all I could think of and found that the air filter was bad. I took it off thinking I would try and start it then. It started but also shot oil out of a port inside the breather compartment. Now it will start, smpke like a...

Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor Mod. 917-275684. 24hp 42". When I try to start it,the starter turns but does not engage the flywheel. I have a new battery, starter, and solenoid.Please advise.

Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 3 Answers ]

How much trouble is it to change the drive belt on a 15.5hp Sears Lawn Tractor? Seems like the speed of this lawn tractor has slowed down. I am assuming that the drive belt could possibly be stretched. Any onther ideas?

Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor model no. 917.272751. I have put new belts,blades,spark plug,gas filter,air filter,battery, solenoid and 3 new starters. It will not start. If I keep trying to start it burns the starter up. If I hand turn the motor backward a few times it will start right up. ...

View more questions Search