Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flickka Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Nov 19, 2008, 01:31 PM
    How to dissolve pure hydroquinone powder?
    Hi everyone, I have a container of pure hydroquinone powder and wanted to know if anyone knows how to dissolve this substance? Can I simply add it to a cream of my choice, or does it have to be dissolved in pure alcohol? Thanks in advance
    linksys2000 Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Nov 22, 2008, 11:55 PM

I am really not sure about this question, however, I can say that I have been using a HQ soap for about 2 months and will never consider this option again!

This stuff is so tricky. It works for a week then my skin went back to the normal complexion if not darker. My face is always sore and tender and I am just so sick of this endless cycle. My skin hurts and it so dry.

Good luck!
    Missj28 Posts: 75, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2008, 12:43 PM

Where did you get the powder, I'm thinking of ordering...

Nov 24, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missj28 View Post
    where did you get the powder, im thinking of ordering....
    How would you use it?? Just put some in your cream or what?
    SOMEONE OUT THERE'S Got to KNOW!!
    Missj28 Posts: 75, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2008, 04:01 PM

I'm not sure on how you would use it flickka. You could possibly look up ways on how to make your own creams online which start with dissolving powders. Or just type in what you're trying to do into your browser and go from there.
    Earlier it seemed that you were on the right track with dissolving using water or some sort of alcohol component and going from there. You need to do some research in order not to diminish the potency, or to create the right potency in your cream. I don't know its your baby. Also why can't you contact the vendor and ask them for directions on how to make the correct % creams..

Nov 25, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missj28 View Post
    im not sure on how you would use it flickka. you could possibly look up ways on how to make your own creams online which start with dissolving powders. or just type in what you're trying to do into your browser and go from there.
    earlier it seemed that you were on the right track with dissolving using water or some sort of alcohol component and going from there. you need to do some research in order not to diminish the potency, or to create the right potency in your cream. i don't know its your baby. also why can't you contact the vendor and ask them for directions on how to make the correct % creams..
    You're right... I should contact the vendor. Cause I've searched every where else. From Google to Yahoo, I typed in all sorts of things. I can say that I found one site that listed what seemed to be a conversation between two derms discussing an effective method of reducing melasma with the use of HQ, and one of the derms listed this method:

HQ
    Proplyene glycol
    Eucerene Cream
    Retin A
    Lidex cream

I just wanted to know if anyone here knew of a simpler method. They also mentioned that cortisone cream was a very good cream to mix with, but I haven't found anything else online that mentions this. But I guess I'm going to find all the ingredients mentioned above and see what I can do. I have really bad hyperpigmentation and I just want to get rid of it!
    MissC88 Posts: 7, Reputation: 4

Dec 13, 2008, 03:27 AM

To dissolve the powder, but it in the cream or lotion that you want to mix it with, if the cream/lotion isn't already in a plastic or glass container/jar, put it in one, then boil some water and hold the container/jar in the boiling water. The hydroquinone will dissolve in minutes.
    So, how do I know this? I also have the powder and that's how I always dissolve it. My mother, who's a pharmacist, told me this method.
    sara_uk Posts: 245, Reputation: 26

Dec 13, 2008, 02:19 PM

Regarding the list

HQ
    Proplyene glycol you can use glycerin instead it is very similar.
    Eucerene Cream you can get this Eucerin » Dry Skin » Face Care but I think any high quality mostruiser will do
    Retin A you can get this but which %?
    Lidex cream- this is steroid cream

Do you know what % these ingredients are?
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 08:36 PM

Have you asked your local pharmacist they may be able to help,eeryone here seems to be guesing
    sara_uk Posts: 245, Reputation: 26

Dec 14, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lighterrr View Post
    have you asked your local pharmacist they may be able to help,eeryone here seems to be guesing
    Lol that sound very wise, ask the pharmacist how to dilute bleaching product! Probably they would want to know where they got the pure powder from.

Dec 15, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissC88 View Post
    To dissolve the powder, but it in the cream or lotion that you want to mix it with, if the cream/lotion isn't already in a plastic or glass container/jar, put it in one, then boil some water and hold the container/jar in the boiling water. the hydroquinone will dissolve in minutes.
    So, how do I kno this? I also have the powder and thats how I always dissolve it. My mother, who's a pharmacist, told me this method.
    this makes sense! How do you like your HQ creams? Are you lightening significantly? Are you still using it? Thanks
    yanayanusik Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Hey! I was wondering where did u get the hydroquinone powder? I want to get it but I'm afraid to but it online from random websites. Please let me know.

Thanks

Dec 15, 2008, 10:32 PM

I got the powder from my mother who is a pharmacist. But I also found that you can buy it online from photography stores. Hydroquinone is also used in developing photos. Its is exactly the same as the skin hydroquinone. You can even buy it on eBay.

I just started using the cream yesterday, but I'll let you know how it goes. I mixed moisturizing cream (eucerin about 7oz), about 20g of hydroquinone powder, 5g alpha arbutin powder and 4oz of crusader cream (a bleaching cream that my mother used and contains 2% hydroquinone). I mixed them all together then held the cream in boiling water for 8-10 minutes until I could no longer feel the hydroquinone in it. It became watery like lotion, but hardened back to a cream in several hours. Hydroquinone is light and air sensitive so to stop it from turning brown you have to make sure the powder is fully dissolved, kept in an air tight container and kept in a container that is not clear. The container that I have is clear so I keep it in a brown paper bag.

My mother has used hydroquinone for years (about 15 yrs) and has never had any medical problems, not even thining skin, so I'm not sure what all the fuss about it is. She used her cream everyday. She lightened like 6 shade or even more. She went from like Naomi Cambell's color to like Beyonce's color. From brown to very yellow. I will make a post about this later.

Dec 16, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissC88 View Post
    I got the powder from my mother who is a pharmacist. But I also found that you can buy it online from photography stores. Hydroquinone is also used in developing photos. Its is exactly the same as the skin hydroquinone. You can even buy it on ebay.

I just started using the cream yesterday, but I'll let you kno how it goes. I mixed moisturizing cream (eucerin about 7oz), about 20g of hydroquinone powder, 5g alpha arbutin powder and 4oz of crusader cream (a bleaching cream that my mother used and contains 2% hydroquinone). I mixed them all together then held the cream in boiling water for 8-10 mins until I could no longer feel the hydroquinone in it. It became watery like lotion, but hardened back to a cream in several hours. Hydroquinone is light and air sensitive so to stop it from turning brown you have to make sure the powder is fully dissolved, kept in an air tight container and kept in a container that is not clear. The container that I have is clear so i keep it in a brown paper bag.

My mother has used hydroquinone for years (about 15 yrs) and has never had any medical problems, not even thining skin, so I'm not sure what all the fuss about it is. She used her cream everyday. She lightened like 6 shade or even more. She went from like Naomi Cambell's color to like Beyonce's color. From brown to very yellow. I will make a post about this later.
    Thank you for the info, MissC88! I purchased mine from a photography company online as well! The bottle was very big and its still untouched, but now that I know what to do, I will do it! Please keep us informed

Dec 30, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Ok, so I finally got my HQ powder, mixed it w/ lotion, added some Retinol cream, put it in the plastic jar in the boiling water, mixed it up very well. A day later my HQ started crystallizing. Anyone knows why? Does that reduce effectiveness of the cream?

Dec 30, 2008, 08:48 PM

Are you sure u dissolved it all the way?
    After you boiled it in the water, did you put your finger in it to see if you could still feel the powder?

Dec 30, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Yea, it was completely dissolved. I was reading in the other post that a few people ordered mono cream and it also had crystals in it...

Btw, my hydroquinone powder doesn't look like powder. It’s more like little crystals. I got it from some photo site, it's pure photo grade hydroquinone.
    RedDiamond Posts: 359, Reputation: 9

Jan 1, 2009, 12:06 AM

May I ask, where can I get hydroquinone powder from?
    PINKFASCINATION Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Jun 14, 2009, 11:40 AM

I did that years ago. Just bought some pure powder and mixed with lotion. I still have it
    wannabwhite Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 11:26 PM

The same thing happened for me, I did the whole thing just the way its listed and a day later it was crystalized again. I still ended up applying it to my face, and my whole face was red, and felt super hot... I hope I get this right, because I really want to lighten up!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to dissolve musk ketone? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know what solovent is used to dissolve musk ketone crystals? Because regular carrier oils and ethanol alcohol do not dissolve them. I went of basenotes.net and they would not even respond to my post so I thought maybe that I could get an answer here. Thanks in advance.:)

How to file a motion to dissolve a writ of garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I see lots of post here about bank account garnishment, but no one every updates as to what steps they took after the fact. I'm wanting to know exactly what I need to do in order to file a motion to dissolve a writ of garnishment on my bank account? Has anyone had any luck with this as of yet?

Why does sucrose dissolve in water? [ 2 Answers ]

Why does sucrose dissolve in water?

Kenmore Dishwasher won't dissolve soap [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore dishwasher has stopped dissolving the Cascade power packs I use. The cascade comes out of the dispenser but is solid at the end of the wash cycle. I can hear water rushing around inside so have no idea what is wrong. Any ideas??

View more questions Search