Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deejj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Chihuahua runt puppy
    My chihuahua gave birth to 4 puppies Sunday night. One puppy is a third the size of the other puppies. I have been trying to feed him puppy formula. Is there anything else I can do? Will he live? I have to use an eyedropper as the pet bottle I have has a hard nipple. I will get a softer one.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Maybe check with your vet today. It really seems to me you should have done more research and been better prepared before the puppies were delivered. Your question really is not appropriate for this forum. Breeding should be a very specialized area for those not dependent on a general Q&A site for support. Please educate yourself before further considering breeding. A good place to start is Woodhaven Labradors Articles

I don't know why my link didn't come out as a link, but I tried again.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 11, 2007, 08:49 PM
    That's really sad. But unfortunately it happens with Chihuahuas. You're lucky that all the babies were born, period. Breeding Chihuahuas is a delicate subject and should be handled as such. Since they are so small it difficult to know the outcome of the pregnancy and/or birth. I have a chihuahua now, and her birth killed her mother. She would have had a brother and sister. The person trying to breed these dogs didn't know what they were doing. I'm glad to have my little girl. But am sad that her coming into the world killed all of her animal family. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE educate yourself if you are planning to breed your dog again.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2007, 03:47 AM
    My comment was too long. There is no editing them. Here is the full thing:

There is no end of misery caused by those breeding without proper preparation. There is no way for me to estimate how many hours I have spent trying to help those stuck with the results. I also struggle trying to write polite, effective responses to those that come here and other inappropriate places for help breeding.

Then there are all the fine people that not only give their time to rescue work, but often cover expenses out of their own pocket. We all thank you for your answer.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Agreed. I had my baby girl fixed because I'm not a breeder and I don't want her to suffer complications before, during, or after birth. Although, I know, I am depriving her the joy of motherhood. I suppose you can't miss something you don't know.. So yeah. I think I did the right thing. And I totally know the consequences of over-breeding. I volunteered at the HUmane Society in my hometown for 6 years.
    locogurl907 Posts: 5, Reputation: -4

Nov 23, 2008, 06:41 PM
    At least there alive and healthy for the most part... my chip boy, his ex girlfriend got pregnant and only one survived, one was born with its brain outside its skull(under the skin) and one had no head and no front paws. The two were dead of course. That makes me wonder... u think his sperm is contaminated or something?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 23, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by locogurl907 View Post
    At least there alive and healthy for the most part... my chip boy, his ex gf got preggo and only one survived, one was born with its brain outside its skull(under the skin) and one had no head and no front paws. the two were dead of course. that makes me wonder.... u think his sperm is contaminated or something?
    I, like Labman try and find a polite way to put things, but I really have to try and contain myself with this one! You are talking about your dog that has an "ex gf" and got her "prego." An "ex" boyfriend? Does this mean he has a new girlfriend? Are you kidding me?? Tell me that you are joking? Then you say matter of factly, that one was born with his brain outside of his skull, and one had no head and no front paws? Am I reading this right? And your only worry is that his sperm may be... in your words... "contaminated?" OMG!! What is wrong with you?

I'm sorry, I guess I CAN'T contain myself! Were YOU born with your brain outside of your skull? Get your dog neutered PERIOD!! That is insane if it is true! That is abuse! Plain and simple ABUSE! You need to also tell your dogs ex gf's owner to get a grip and have her dog spayed also! No more abuse! If I knew where either of you lived (says Alaska) I would call Animal Control, or the Humane Society, and have both dogs removed from your homes! If and until you are more educated about dogs, you should be banned from owning one! Ridiculous and cruel behaviour! :mad:
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 23, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by locogurl907 View Post
    At least there alive and healthy for the most part... my chip boy, his ex gf got preggo and only one survived, one was born with its brain outside its skull(under the skin) and one had no head and no front paws. the two were dead of course. that makes me wonder.... u think his sperm is contaminated or something?
    I accidentally gave you an agree instead of a disagree. Count yourself lucky.
    locogurl907 Posts: 5, Reputation: -4

Nov 24, 2008, 12:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    I, like Labman try and find a polite way to put things, but I really have to try and contain myself with this one!! You are talking about your dog that has an "ex gf" and got her "prego." An "ex" bf? does this mean he has a new gf? Are you kidding me??? Tell me that you are joking? Then you say matter of factly, that one was born with his brain outside of his skull, and one had no head and no front paws?? Am I reading this right?? And your only worry is that his sperm may be...in your words..."contaminated?" OMG!!!!!!! What is wrong with you??

I'm sorry, I guess I CAN'T contain myself!! Were YOU born with your brain outside of your skull?? Get your dog neutered PERIOD!!! That is insane if it is true!! That is abuse!! Plain and simple ABUSE!! You need to also tell your dogs ex gf's owner to get a grip and have her dog spayed also!! No more abuse! If I knew where either of you lived (says Alaska) I would call Animal Control, or the Humane Society, and have both dogs removed from your homes! If and until you are more educated about dogs, you should be banned from owning one! Ridiculous and cruel behaviour!! :mad:

Well it was more of they were "our" dogs then I found out my ex was a bastard and made him move the hell on, he took the girl dog I took the boy. We wanted to breed them and I still want to stud him out. There is like a population of zero chihuahuas in Alaska for your information. The only time it is considered abuse is when you don't give a crap . Its not like I'm whoring him out. Well I am but these are and are going to be people perfectly capable of taking care of these animals. There are no real penalties for having an unspayed dog any effing way. As for the dead puppies I've only heard the story. If they were born dead that's fine the one that survived I'm sure got sold into a very nice little family. Thank you for your rude opinion anyways:D am I sencing jealousy about palin? Hmm... probably
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 24, 2008, 01:16 AM

Your immaturity and ignorance is showing my dear, and it is apparent. I don't think you have done your research, and you are throwing out comments like they are facts. "Zero Chihuahua's in Alaska?" Don't be stating things off the top of your head. This is an advice site. You don't answer questions that you know little to nothing about.

You want to whore out your dog for money no matter what your dog has to endure, don't you. You just don't get it, and I'm not going to argue with someone with such little common sense.

As for Sarah Palin. What? What in the world does this have ANYTHING to do with Sarah Palin? Are you in your backyard looking at Russia? That comment was just funny! Stick to topics you know about my dear, and I feel so very sorry for your dog.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 05:58 AM

Loco, there is obviously something very, very wrong for the puppies to have been born that way. If you have any respect for life whatsoever, you need to have both dogs fixed.

The only people who should be breeding are professionals with a serious background in genetics, extremely profound knowledge about their breed, a legitimate background in puppy training, perfect dogs (in character and physiological traits), all of the education necessary to understand and care for the needs of a pregnant mother, and the same for the whelping of puppies.

Did you have your dogs genetically tested? Or are you just guessing? Are your dogs registered with the AKC?

The fact that they're fertile does not mean they should be bred.

If there was a bet out there, I would put all of my cash on the idea that you don't qualify on any of those. If you love chihuahuas, do not put imperfect ones out into the world.

When a person's dog has babies, that person will be morally responsible for each of those puppies, and their puppies' puppies, and their puppies' puppies' puppies and-on-and-on-and-on for the rest of their lives. Ask any professional breeder if their contract requires that every puppy/dog that has come from their dogs to be *returned* to them if the owners decide not to keep them. Was this in your contract? Did you have a contract?

Why do you think there are shelters all over the world where millions upon millions of good dogs have been put down?

What you were doing qualifies you 100% as a backyard breeder.

Do not add to the exponentially growing problem of unwanted dogs.

If you love dogs, go volunteer at your local animal shelter. Have your dogs spayed and neutered.

http://www.goodpooch.com/ISSUES/stopbreeding.htm:
    "There is a Breeder's Code of Ethics for every breed. Do you plan to follow it? If not, there is a good chance you'll create substandard animals. You'll be harming the breed you claim to love by producing inferior specimens."
    "It is estimated that as much as 60% of dogs are re-homed at some point during their lives. "

Dogs Big And Small : Irresponsible Breeding Practices

Dogs Big And Small : The Pros and Cons to Spaying and Neutering
    "The sad fact is that a phenomenal six million dogs and cats each year die in animal shelters while awaiting homes. There are at least that many more forced to live on the streets with no one to care for their well being. An astounding 30 million dogs and cats are born in this country each year..."

Zero chihuahuas in Alaska?
    Alaska Chihuahuas for adoption
    Alaska Chihuahua Breeders Directory
    Chihuahua Heaven
    Chihuahua in Alaska
    http://www.freewebs.com/here_comes_chihuahuas/
    ... in under 5 minutes of looking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy runt [ 11 Answers ]

My pitbull Nina delivered 6 Puppies on 10/25/06 5 Of them are doing well the runt is not doing to well he is a lot smaller than the other puppies very weak and constantly crying,and or whining while sleeping. I have been bottle feeding him Esbilac but he does not drink much. I'm worried about the...

Chihuahua Puppy Name Suggestions [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got a new male Chihuahua puppy. He is all white and his little face has, the markings similar to a Panda Bears face. I already have a Chihuahua named Bandit, and a Chihuahua named Bear and I don't really want to name him Panda. Does anyone have any suggestions on a cute name for him?...

Runt puppy not eating 1/2 the size as others! [ 5 Answers ]

:( I have a griff that had 5 puppies. She only weighs 9lbs and the runt of the litter is half the size as the others. The mother keeps trying to bring the puppy to me. What can I do to help save her?

Runt puppy very small [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 week old litter of labrador puppies. Most of them weigh about five pounds. Our smallest only weighs 2 1/2 pounds. He only nurses for a few minutes and then falls asleep. He will not take a bottle or drink from a bowl. The other pups are eating moistened food now. The vet is keeping a...

View more questions Search