Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladybug01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 06:28 PM
    When men ask for a break in a relationship do they come back?
    My boyfriend of 2.5 years has been going through some rough patch for about a year now. We moved to a new city and he recently told me that he is confused about what he wants out of life itself. He added that although we had talked about getting married and starting a family, he is not sure that in fact he wants that anymore. Therefore, he asked for a break and wants us to be just friends until he figures things out. I told him to give me time before I can be just his friend since I want to get him off my system first. We had coffee a couple of weeks ago and he said that he's not happy with himself because he feels that he doesn't have a home. He implied that he's missed me, although he didn't quite use those words. I didn't mention anything about our relationship nor did he. We just had a friendly talk.

He started calling me the next day, he didn't have much to say but I guess wanted an excuse to call. He did that for a couple of days and then stopped. I haven't heard from him in a week. I have given him his space just as he asked. However, I want to hear from other men out there if they've gone through similar "rough patches" in their relationship. I'm wondering if he would eventually come around and asks to get back together. After all, he said he struggles with himself because he loves me, but wants to figure out what makes him happy first.

I want to respect his space and not bother him, but I'm afraid he'll get used to being without me.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 06:48 PM

Give him what he asked for, and leave him to his space. Don't hold your breath waiting either as there is plenty to do that will make you happy.

To answer your original question, when I get dumped I never look back.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2008, 08:14 PM

I suppose it's possible he could come back... but I think if he really wanted to continue the relationship, he would have stayed in the relationship and found himself at the same time. I'd begin to prepare for the future without him.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2008, 10:14 PM

I'm not a guy, but I don't believe in "breaks." If I'm in a relationship and we're having troubles, if we care about each other we work it out. If we don't think it can be worked out we break up, but we don't "take a break." In my opinion, taking a break is breaking up because it could go on indefinitely.
    LifeChangesMan Posts: 329, Reputation: 39

Nov 20, 2008, 10:21 PM
    I AM a guy and I never wanted time/break/space any of those crazy things from the person I loved, she was the one who did it to me 2 or 3 times before this last time she left for good I guess, but who knows. Basically, anything can happen and you're the one who knows best deep down inside what will happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone evr get an ex who regrets the relationship break up. [ 12 Answers ]

Do you ever here from them again, especially if they know they have hurt you? I am just supprised that someone can be so into another, then ripp their heart out without caring?

Starting a new relationship after a break-up [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I've posted a few times on this site in the past few months but will give a bit of background before talking about my new topic/issue. Myself and my ex broke up just over four months ago, it wasn't very clean, though it probably could have been. We had been together about a year and a...

She wants a break from our relationship? [ 15 Answers ]

Here is my situation... about 9 months ago I was just getiing over a pretty bad relationship that had just ended about 2 months prior. To be honest with you I was just sitting in a bar with my friends and just wanted to drink and forget about everything and anything. Then enters Megan (we will...

She wants a break, but wants to work on the relationship? [ 132 Answers ]

My name is Joe. I am 25 years old. Her name is Carolina, and she is 26. We have been together for 2 years. Throughout our relationship her and I were seriously talking about marriage. This is something she wants before she is 30. Her family wants this for her very much as well. About 1...

Relationship Break [ 20 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I had been dating for a year when last Aug, she said she needed to take a break. She told me that she had made many relationship errors in her life and that she had been thinking about that lately. She has been married four times and has always ended one relationship and gone...

View more questions Search