Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starz N h3artz Posts: 16, Reputation: 4

Nov 13, 2008, 02:13 PM
    wireless internet
    OK... so I have a laptop that picks up wireless internet on its own already(WLAN)... but I can't connect because either the connection strength isn't strong enough or its secured and I need a network key(WEP/WPA).. so I was wondering how I would go about getting internet... do I have 2 have a laptop card even though my computer has the (WLAN)... or is there some other way?. and if I do need a laptop card which company has the best/most affordable service?. thnx=)
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Nov 18, 2008, 11:47 AM

Are the Internet connections you are trying to use your connections or someone else's connection?

Since you have a weak signal and do not know the WEP key, I get the impression these are not your Internet connections. If you are trying to steal someone else's Internet connection, you will get no help here in the same way that AMHD would not help anyone steal your stuff.

Nov 18, 2008, 01:55 PM
    No sweetheart that is not what I'm saying... im asking how would I go about getting my own connection. I was asking if I have 2 have a laptop card even if my comp. has the WLAN. As in how do I setup internet on my laptop... if u would've read everything I said... I believe I asked how I get my own.. if I need a laptop card and how much it would cost... now if sum who actually read it would give me an answer that would be nice... thnx=)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 18, 2008, 02:17 PM
    There's no need to be rude, now is there.

As Chuckhole correctly pointed out the wireless connection you can see clearly aren't yours otherwise you would know the encryption key for them.
    The fact you can see them proves you do NOT need to purchase a wireless card at all.
    What you do need are some manners.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2008, 02:20 PM

Agreed, if your laptop is finding wireless connections then it has a built in wireless card. What you need is to buy internet service from any company and make sure they give you a wireless modem (or if they don't have that they will sell you a regular modem and you will have to buy a wireless router)

Follow all the instructions to set it up and your good to go.

Nov 18, 2008, 03:40 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Lowtax4eva! That's all I wanted to know... I was not being rude... all I wanted was an answer... and both chuckhole and curlyben assumed I was asking how 2 steal internet... my question clearly was do I need a laptop card... that is all... chuckhole was rude by saying I was trying to steal internet and that I would get no help here... if that's how he felt he should've simply not replied at all... so thank you to lowtax4eva... your response was helpful =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WIRELESS internet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a netgear wgr614 v8 and would like to set a password so that no one can connect to my internet, could you help me? I don't have the cd that comes with the router

Wireless Internet [ 1 Answers ]

My wireless internet,on my laptop, worked fine yesterday morning.. I didn't change any settings and it stopped. Iv'e checked the modem,and have plugged and unplugged many times. The modem is fairly new so there shouldn't be any problems. I also put the computer right next to the modem.I tried to...

Wireless Internet [ 2 Answers ]

If I get a wireless router do I still need to have an internet provider such as comcast, or AOL?

Wireless Internet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 PCs... one is desktop computer connected with high speed internet n other is laptop.. I want to use wireless internet on laptop through desktop computer. I have linksys wireless - G 2.4GHZ Access point. Is there anyway that I can use Access Point as a wireless router.. If yes then...

Wireless Internet [ 4 Answers ]

I work from home and use a laptop. I would like to be more mobile. Wireless internet has been suggested to me, but I cannot figure out where I would begin to find a provider. Would someone like AOL offer the service? I was told Verizon, but I have looked all over their site and cannot find...

View more questions Search