Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shellanders Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 10:19 PM
    17 yr old teenage girl insolent and ungrateful, nasty
    In the scope of things, my teenager is not a bad kid. She is a great student and is not in trouble with the law or staying out doing things she shouldn't.

But she has become almost unbearable to live with here lately and we are at the end of her rope. She doesn't respect me or her brother (15 1/2 yrs old), she is nasty to him and never respectful of his feelings or needs. She never asks him to do something, just demands. She feels she has the right to boss him around, and has even resorted to physical violence with him. To his credit, he doesn't hit her back or hurt her in any way, even though he could. He has told me that he will never hit her back, because he knows he will hurt her. She screams at him and yells at him and calls him names.

She is nasty to me and speaks to me disrespectfully. My husband travels for his job, she would never behave this way if he were home. She won't do her chores and when I tell her to, she gets nasty. She does them, but not without a fight.

We just moved from Florida to Illinois, because of my husbands work. Her attitude is getting worse, and she tells me that she hates it here, she hates this house, she is bored and we don't do enough to make her happy. Her attitude and behavior started long before we moved from Florida, so it is not the move that is causing this. I am frustrated because I am tired of her being ungrateful and disrespectful. I don't know what else to do. Grounding her doesn't work, yelling at her doesn't work. Nothing works.

Hoping there is another answer.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

May 11, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Well of course yelling back won't work, that's trying to fight fire with fire
    Have you tried talking to her, asking her why she gets so angry? If not, try that, and try to ask it respectfully, and listen, actually listen, if she answers. She's 17, and it is so frustrating for us teenagers when parents do not listen. I would try not to act all superior in a conversation with her. Maybe this can be resolved through a good talk, not terribly likely, but worth a shot. Maybe counseling would be good, she could have an anger management problem, which can be helped through a anger management course. Seems like she mostly needs to learn that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and that she is not the only person in the world.
    I hope this helps a little, I don't have any knowledge about parenting, but I am a 16, almost 17 year old teenager myself, and despite what a lot of people think, things would go a lot smoother for both parents and teenagers if the parents would just talk and listen to their child. Some parenting experts should answer this post eventually, good luck!
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 11, 2008, 10:36 PM
    Its hard to help anyone who is dealing with a difficult teenager. On one hand you want to go to extremes in order to teach her a lesson. On the other hand it probably wouldn't work out to well for anyone involved. I don't know her or what she is like around other people, but having a third party there for mediation and communication usually works out fair for most people in these situations.
    If I treated my mother that way, my parents would have packed all of my stuff and left it on the front door and that would have been it. I had a girlfriend who was very candid with me about her past, and she told me when she was 16 17 she had put her parents through hell. But when I knew her she was almost 19 and very well together, she had a great relationship with her mother. Hopefully in time, she will be able to see that she needs to change her ways. Defusing Hostile People - Part 2/2
    shellanders Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 10:43 PM
    We have had a great relationship until about a year ago, and we still do off and on. But I cannot continue to allow this behavior. I have tried talking to her, reasoning with her, asking her what is wrong and all of the normal things. She answers me with normal teenage things such as friends, school, boys, etc. As you said, Cal823, she does need to know that you catch more flies with honey and that she is not the only person in the world. I have told her how much we sacrifice so she can have, but none of these things matter. Counseling is not an option, she won't go to them, and if we made her go, she wouldn't talk to them.

Like I said, I know she could be a lot worse, but I am fed up with her behavior and attitude.
    JAKO-822 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 09:44 AM
    I think that you are in a very tough position here. If you have tried speaking with her, asking her what is bothering her, and the only answer she can provide you with is friends, school, etc. then I doubt she is going to open up and provide any other insightful answer as to the reason for her behavior. In my opinion, allowing this behavior to continue is harmful to both you and your son. Who is the parent here? I'm no sure if you are willing or have the guts, but a little tough love is in order. She needs to learn to respect others, and treating her with kit gloves (sounds to me anyway) is not going to do the trick. In my opinion, she needs to be told in a stern manner that her behavior is not acceptable, and if she cannot treat you and her brother with respect, she needs to pack her things and find another place to live. I know this sounds harsh and being a mother myself, is something very, very hard for us to do. But if you do not put an end to his now, her behavior will only worsen and who knows what she could end up doing in the moment of a "temper tantrum." I have been there, and I had to put my child out of the house in order for him to grow up and find out that in order to be treated with respect, you must earn it by treating others in the same manner in which you expect to be treated. I wish you the best, and hope that someday your daughter will grow up and see the error of her ways.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 03:42 PM
    It sounds like she testing you and you have to stand firm. You should give counseling a try since you try talking to her to see if she might open up to someone else. Do you know what types of friends she hang, and/or what she into?

Try talking again to her in a loving tone, set boundaries, enfore rules, etc. Try doing when the whole family is then for intervention so every can express their feeling, because her behavior is unacceptable.

If all fails it time for tough time, so pull up your sleeves and get ready, but whatever you do firmly hold your ground. Remembe your daughter is the daughter and you're the mother. Never lose sight of what parenting is, if you need help seek them now. Try troubleteensolutions.com
    missmistakes Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 01:27 AM
    Hi,well guess what I'm a 17 year old teenage girl and I have always had problems with my parents,welll not always but lately.they have called me insolent and ungrateful and also nasty so I guess I'm closest to your daughters perspective.our family too,recently moved due to my dad's job change to a different country.well,I don't demand my siblings to do stuff for me or ask them to but I guess their problem with me is that I 'show face' or make them feel uncomfortable.My mum is no great help either,today she asked me to move away.there's actually a story behind all of this and my reason to being so 'nasty' and such a monster to my parents I guess.they have never been affectionate towards me and any signs or display of affection now would just gross me out I guess.maybe you can ask me more specific questions cause right now I don't really know what to say.well about how to stop it,seeing that I'm the person on the hot seat now err,I don't really know.I know calling your daughter a devil or telling her you don't want to see her face anymore won't help,neither would yelling like a mad lady,and also don't display more love to your son than you do to her.thats just stupid and unfair.sometimes I wish my parents would just give me a chance to change I guess the most reason of why I'm like that is cause I reflect their behaviour around me they are 'scared' of me.well,that's all.sorry for not helping.

Xoxo,
    Gossipgirl.LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage Girl, disrespectful with bad attitude [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is 14, almost 15 years old. I have been having problems with her for about 3-4 years now. I divorced her father just prior to this new development and have since re-married to a man who is total the opposite of her father. Her father was always soft when it came to his kids, he...

Rebellious Teenage Girl Hates Her Younger Sister [ 4 Answers ]

My 13 year old teen will pick a fight with her 8 year old little sister. The little sister gets really mad and starts screaming and then she'll slap, bite, or hit her big sister with the phone or a wooden spoon. I'm starting to believe that the older sister deliberately provokes her little sister...

College age daughter is disrespectful and ungrateful. [ 13 Answers ]

(I accidentally posted this in the "teen" section so I'm re-posting here. Sorry - new to this whole thing... ) HELP. I've been a single mom for almost 10 years and I have single-handedly raised my almost 19-year-old daughter. She is in college now, living in an off-campus apartment, majoring...

80s teenage girl movie, uses spell to become popular [ 1 Answers ]

Most likely seen on the disney channel, redhead teenage girl with fourtune teller old friend that helps her with a potion and spell to make her become popular like her idol, an 80s synth pop girl singer And I also remember something about her putting scarves on lamp shades before her crush comes...

View more questions Search