Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gwen83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 10:43 PM
    Santa Baby?
    I was wondering who sang Santa Baby, is it a Betty Boop song?
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Dec 12, 2006, 10:47 PM
    The one you are thinking of was done by Eartha Kitt(note that it has been covered a few times)

You can check here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Baby
    Pinkwater Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Dec 15, 2006, 09:37 PM
    The most popular of the "Santa Baby" remake songs is the one by "Madonna". Its more then likely the one you hear the most often.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 15, 2006, 10:40 PM
    OMG, that is one of the songs that gets stuck playing over and over in my mind. Why is it always songs I don't particularly like, ones that when repeated are especially annoying!? Grrrr.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Dec 15, 2006, 10:52 PM
    Not sure who does the song, though I've heard it a few times more recently in a new Victoria's Secret commercial starring Heidi Klum. I find the song a bit irritating myself, it being sung in something of a stereotypical "ditzy blonde" fashion. :)
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Dec 16, 2006, 05:46 AM
    LoL it's one of those songs that's always playing down the local mall from mine at this time of year, I think its intended to make you feel full of the holidays lol I agree with Val & Thomas it does tend to irritate.

Was it not Marilyn Monroe that sang it first :)? I always get lost I know its had lots of covers over the years !

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/frida.../santababy.htm

Dec 16, 2006, 06:00 AM
    Yes, the version I hear in the commercial does sound like Marilyn Monroe. That's what always comes to mind, though I wasn't sure if she had ever recorded it. :)

Dec 16, 2006, 11:16 AM
    To clear things up, my article that I linked to said this by the way, it wasn't Marilyn Monroe who recorded it was Eartha Kitt, it's a long running urban myth that monroe recorded it and it might sound like it, but it isn't. Monroe never recorded a song. Also, Eartha Kitt's is the most famous tune, madonna's is not, if you are hearing this song, it's more than likely Kitt's.

Dec 16, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Well now that's cleared up... how do I get rid of the song!? The best I can manage to do is change the channel to any of the OTHER irritating songs..

Like the one from DisneyWorld about...

"It's a small world after all
    It's a small world after all
    It's a small world after all
    Its a small small small small world"

ARRGGGHHH!! :eek:

Dec 16, 2006, 12:11 PM
    Listen to better music? Lol

Dec 16, 2006, 12:11 PM
    I have found that the only way to get a tune out of your head, is either to sing it or listen to it, so take your pick... choose wisely

Dec 16, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzkid89
    I have found that the only way to get a tune out of your head, is either to sing it or listen to it, so take your pick....choose wisely
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :eek:

Throws myself on the floor in a totally hissy fit.
    Waaah... waaah... I want to better answer!! LOL :( :D
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2006, 01:44 PM
    Now this song is in my freaking head!! :eek:

Thanks guys!! :rolleyes:

Singing it or listening DOES NOT WORK!!

Dec 16, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Yeah, try The Chipmunks, that was always a favorite when I was a kid. Here they are set to Harry Potter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frfBLKQ9mxE

Try getting this one out of your head after a few listenings. :)
    edenney Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2008, 12:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwen83 View Post
    I was wondering who sang Santa Baby, is it a Betty Boop song?
    Actually, there is a popular version of this song credited to Betty Boop and which sounds very much like her, although I doubt if it's truly the voice of Betty Boop (which is a fictitious cartoon character anyway, and whose voice was recorded by several different artists in the 30s). I also don't know when the song was recorded, but Betty Boop came about around 1930 and was popularized in the mid to late 30s. Obviously this pre-dates any recordings by Eartha Kitt and others IF it was recorded during that time. The Betty Boop version asks for an "Out Of Space Convertible" which doesn't date it, whereas the Eartha Kitt version requests a "54 Convertible", which dates the Kitt version to 1954 or later.

The other popular versions are by Earth Kitt as I already mentioned, Madonna, and Cynthia Basinet (which is the one so often mis-credited to Marilyn Monroe). For everybody that thought it was Monroe that recorded the last version, here's the link on Youtube to the video which matches the popular song. The voices are very similar in both sound and style, and it's sung much like the way Monroe sang Happy Birthday to JFK, so it's no wonder so many people have confused it over the years. YouTube - Santa Baby (Sorry, it was NEVER Marilyn Monroe)
    bmwm399 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970 View Post
    Yes, the version I hear in the commercial does sound like Marilyn Monroe. That's what always comes to mind, though I wasn't sure if she had ever recorded it. :)
    Marilyn never recorded "Santa Baby". The version oft thought to be is actress and singer, Cynthia Basinet.

Find her on iTunes.

identgigi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Santa Baby
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    This article is about the Christmas Song. For the film starring Jenny McCarthy, see Santa Baby (film).
    "Santa Baby" is a 1953 Christmas song written by Joan Javits (the niece of Jacob K. Javits), Philip Springer, and Tony Springer.

The song is a tongue in cheek look at a Christmas list sung by a woman who wants the most extravagant gifts like sable, yachts and decorations from Tiffany's.

[edit] Original recording
    "Santa Baby" was originally sung and recorded in 1953 by Eartha Kitt. The song was a huge hit for Kitt, and she later said that it was one of her favorite songs to record. A sequel, "This Year's Santa Baby", was recorded by Kitt in 1954, to no commercial success; Kitt also reprised the original song for a 1963 re-recording with a more uptempo arrangement (Madonna's popular rendition for the 1987 charity album A Very Special Christmas is based on this latter version). The song gained considerable exposure after it was featured in the 1989 film Driving Miss Daisy.

[edit] Cover versions
    Covered in recorded and live performances by many other female artists throughout the years, including Maria Muldaur, Everclear, RuPaul, Taylor Horn, Madonna, Jhene, Macy Gray, Natalie Merchant, Faith Evans, Boney James, Kylie Minogue, The Pussycat Dolls, Lina, LeAnn Rimes, Kellie Pickler, and Taylor Swift, as well as in an Ally McBeal episode by the title character (Calista Flockhart), by Chris Mitchell, and by The Swingle Singers. Miss Piggy sang the song in the film It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie and recorded another version for the album A Green and Red Christmas.

The version recorded by the Pussycat Dolls entered the Top 70 Billboard charts in the Philippines, peaking at #22. Although it was a b-side the song picked up radio airplay in the Philippines. This version also appeared as track 1 on CD 1 of The Perfect Christmas 2006 album.

Rev Run has also re-recorded this song for A Very Special Christmas, Vol. 3.

In December 2007, Kylie Minogue's version of the song reached #76 in the UK due to download sales. She used it as a b-side to her single "Over The Rainbow".

Les Paul performed the song live in December 2006, with a female double-bass player performing vocals.

In 2007's This Christmas starring R&B singer Chris Brown and Lauren London "Santa Baby" was performed by Lina in the opening credits.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 08:24 PM

Yes Originally by Eartha kitt

YouTube - Eartha Kitt with Friends Santa Baby
    White Phoenix Posts: 2, Reputation: -1
    -

Dec 26, 2008, 09:58 PM
    This question was not cleared up. In fact, it has been riddled with totally inaccurate information so far except for Marilyn Monroe never having recorded any songs.

There is no way anyone could have confused Monroe’s voice with Kitt’s if they had heard either of them sing. (Monroe did sing in film musicals.) Kitt recorded the song originally. In the sixties she did an up-tempo version which was later covered by Madonna. However, none of these versions are the song in question, and should not have been brought up.

There is a version which sounds as if the singer was imitating Betty Boop. That is the version that the original poster wanted to know who the singer is. There was no request for a review or opinion on the merits/demerits of the song.

Is there anyone out there who can actually give a correct answer?
    White Phoenix Posts: 2, Reputation: -1
    -

Dec 26, 2008, 10:34 PM
    OK, just went to Amazon.Com and listened to the sampler of Madonna’s version. For whatever reason, Madonna imitated Betty Boop for her cover of Eartha Kitt’s up-tempo version of Santa, Baby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Having a baby [ 9 Answers ]

I would really like to have a baby but I understood that if me and my partner have the same blood type we will not be able to have a baby. I am AB positive and my partner is also the same. Will we not be able to have a baby as we have the same blood type My partner have been having...

Baby name [ 5 Answers ]

Is the name Rowan okay for a boy and does anyone know a middle name that would go with it?

If Only Santa Was Real [ 1 Answers ]

If only santa was real, not a child in the land would go without a toy. Being a mother of 7, this will be the first year, I can not place a present under the tree. I tried to apply for xmas help but most took up their forms in oct. which I did not see to need for help then. There is one thing we...

Having a baby [ 11 Answers ]

My boy friend and I are talking adout having kids after we get married but he has had a vasectomy so we are looking in to all the options I would just like to hear if any one have been in this situation and if so what options they were given so if any one has any sugestions we could use you opions

View more questions Search