Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muna Posts: 147, Reputation: 5
    -

Jul 4, 2006, 10:04 PM
    How long does suntan last?
    Hello guys, I want to know how long it takes for the skin to return to its normal color after sun exposure?
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Jul 5, 2006, 11:07 AM
    That depends. Are you burned? Or just tan? If you're burned, the redness will turn tan in a week or so. If you don't want to keep your color, you can exfoliate with a lufa or take a shower immediately after being in the sun, which will get rid of the skin cells before your skin is noticeably darker. I hope that helps, but if it doesn't, tell me!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jul 5, 2006, 10:49 PM
    One of the moderators probably changed the title of this thread, but I think I know what you're referring about. When UV rays hit your skin, melanocytes get stimulated, which triggers melanin production to protect your skin from the sun. The melanin acts like an umbrella for the skin's cells and gives people the brown tint that is a suntan. Depending on skin type, people react differently to sunlight. Fair skin always burns but sometimes tans. Usually of Indian, American Indian, Hispanic or African heritage. This skin type rarely burns and tans easily. I'm assuming that you're African American since I've previously answered a hair care question from you. If you are concerned about the sun's UV rays dulling your skin, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or greater.
    -

Jul 6, 2006, 10:20 PM
    Thank you shoegal and prettylady for answering. Pretty lady I use spf15 but I still I get tan and I have another question if you could anwer is skin colour change due to hormones, actually I noticed my skin color became dull since last year . Do you think I could buy products from the net or get something prescribed? But the thing is doctors do not like to prescribe creams but for pimples.
    -

Jul 6, 2006, 11:28 PM
    Yes, changes in hormone levels can produce stretch marks to acne to darkening of the skin. If the SPF 15 isn't protecting your skin, use a sunscreen with SPF 30. You can make your dull complexion healthy or radiant by using alpha-hydroxy acids, such as glycolic, lactic and citric acid. They slough off dead skin cells and brightens dull skin. Also, if you have discoloration from the sun, there are over-the-counter fading creams that you can use to even out your skin tone. Good luck, muna.
    -

Jul 7, 2006, 12:17 AM
    Hello prettylady, can u give a name of a product that has these ingredients?
    Thanks
    -

Jul 7, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Creams that contain azelaic acid, kojic acid and soy may help your skin problem. Alpha hydroxy creams can also improve your skin's appearance, which is found in most pharmacies. But if you can't find a product at your local pharmacy or drug store, try looking on the net.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suntan [ 1 Answers ]

How to remove suntan caused by using a suntan solution? How long does it last?

How long does it take? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in the divorce process now for over 2 1/2 years. I feel let down by my attorney as he has allowed both my ex-wife and her attorney to complete pregnancies during this process. Even though I agreed to a settlement last July we are still no further ahead. Do I have a legitimate gripe...

Has it been too long? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old and I dropped out of school in the 9th grade. I was currently 17 then because I was behind. How can I get all of it back by going back to school? Do you think it's too late?

View more questions Search