Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kloebear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Single or multi-stage heating/cooling unit
    How can one tell if the heating/AC system in a home is a single stage or multi-stage? My system is 2 zones. (upstairs & downstairs) with separate thermostats for each. But there is only a single gas furnace and a single AC unit. So does that mean it is a single stage system?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2008, 09:13 AM

If we assume it's not a heat pump, the presence of W1 ,W2 or Y1 and Y2 generally determine if it's two stage.

There would be 3 gas valve coils for 2 zone heating. Pilot, low and high.

For the outdoor unit there will be 3 wires instead of two connected to the low voltage.

Model # may help.

Ignore Carrier Infinity controls and communicating tstats for now. They are special cases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have a single or multi-stage heat pump? Want programmable thermostat. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking to replace my thermostat with a new programmable one, and I'm trying to figure out which ones might be compatible with my heat pump. I'm having trouble determining even what type of heat pump I have. Any help would be appreciated! Here is the information I have: On the unit...

Changed from separate cooling & heating unit to combined unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home & when it was set up in 96 we had separate cooling & heating units run off one thermostat. We had a 3 ton ac unit & an electric furnace inside for heat. This past summer we bought a 4.5 ton ac & heating combined unit. We hooked up to wiring that old ac unit was hooked up to...

Heating & Cooling Unit [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone help please? My heater for some reason is not working. It worked all Winter long but not now. It has a switch on the outside of the unit in the basement. I'm not sure what that is for. It has an on/off switch inside too. There is a metal coiled filter that can be rinsed but it does...

Hvac1000: Or ing stage relays (multi-stage stats to single stage) [ 1 Answers ]

Would you agree that you can and should OR the outputs of say a 2 stage heating stat to make it a single stage? OR means connect the outputs together. Example: Connect W and W2 to create a single stage stat. I'm under the impression that either W1 or W2 is activated and not both and that this...

Converting a single unit to a multi-unit. [ 1 Answers ]

I know its possible and in my area there are a few homes that are perfect for it. Has anyone ever do this? What are some troubles that you could run into this? What are the exact steps to start the process with the state? If anyone can give me some personal insight or experience I would...

View more questions Search