Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    texasplayer2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 11:17 PM
    Toyota camry 1996 engine shut off while driving
    My 1996 toyota camry's engine shut off on me twice already now while driving. Does any one have any idea what could be wrong. The milage is about 160,000. 2.4 liter engine.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2008, 12:41 AM

Hi, texasplayer2006!

I'm not trying to piggyback on your question, but I couldn't help but notice it, because my 1997 Camry did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Just simply stopped running. Didn't sputter, wasn't out of gas.

I'll look forward to how someone who has the expertise addresses your question. I had thought about starting a thread about that, but it's ironic that you have the same problem.

Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2008, 05:59 AM

. Replace the Ignition Control Module:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

. Replace the coil:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 05:02 PM

Very limited info, but if it starts right away, then it's either a bad EGR valve of a coolant temp sensor.
    Ignition problems are a very hard or no restart.

Clough, chime in with your problem, but remember, the more info you give, the more accurate the diagnosis.
    Service history helps too.
    jeepcherokee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428 View Post
    Very limited info, but if it starts right away, then it's either a bad EGR valve of a coolant temp sensor.
    Ignition problems are a very hard or no restart.

Clough, chime in with your problem, but remember, the more info you give, the more accurate the diagnosis.
    Service history helps too.
    Would an o2 censor cause the car to die while driving yet start up again?
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 04:40 PM

Jeep... Year? V6 or 4 cyl?
    jeepcherokee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428 View Post
    Jeep....Year? V6 or 4 cyl?
    Oh sorry no its on a 1992 toyota camry xle v6. It seems to die mostly when on an incline, engine higher, like going up hill!
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 08:41 PM

Tough one there without seeing it. My only guess at this point is un metered air entering the throttle body.
    This happens when there's a split in the rubber hose coming from the air cleaner box, (that's where your air flow meter is), and to the throttle body.
    When and engine is under load, it torques back and stretches that hose.
    If your motor mounts are torn, it makes matters worse because of more movement and finds an air leak in the torn hose (intake boot).
    Try setting the e-brake, put it in drive and hold the brake with left foot. Now lightly give it gas and see if you can get it to stumble and possibly stall.
    Could be as simple as a dirty fuel filter also. Good luck,
    jopheen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2011, 06:33 AM
    My 2010 Toyota Camray cut off while I was driving onto the expressway. I was told it was some type of hose. However, it is now starting to act as though it wants to cut off again. Is this a Lemon?
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2011, 06:40 AM

2010? First thing, check the oil level and coolant level in the coolant tank. Did you just fuel up somewhere? This is strange.
    gus021663 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 10:53 AM
    My 96 camry will start but after a while it will shut off I put code reader on but it gives o code found

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal light in 1996 camry [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 96" camry and the personal light stopped working, so I am trying to figure out How to change the bulb. I'm not sure how to get the cover off without breaking something. Any suggestions?

1989 Toyota Camry [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a 89 Camry when I put the key in the ignition and try to crank it and it won't crank it is manual and the only way it cranks over is when I push it what could it be? Please answer ASAP I would appreciate it Thank You

Replacing the interior door handle to my 1996 toyota camry [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone out there tell me how to replace the interior door handle to my 1996 toyota camry. Is this something I can do myself or should I take it in to the dealer. I am fairly handy but need to know if I have to remove the door panel. It is the drivers door handle. I would appreciate any help....

1996 toyota camry [ 2 Answers ]

I need to change the bulb in the left tail light of my 1996 Toyota camry. Can someone help me out with this, I do not have a manual and am sure it is very easy. Thanks

96 toyota camry stereo amp [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the amp located and how do I get to it?

View more questions Search