Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lily_#1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2004, 06:28 PM
    Distemper Shots
    I am a new puppy owner & going through the series of shots needed. My pekingese has gotten 1 distemper shot & her rabies shot (on separate days); however, after her distemper she was crazy. It appeared as if she forgot her name & she barly walked around. She was rolling everywhere and flipping around like a mad-puppy. Is this normal... should I be concerned... her 2nd shot is coming up & I'm not sure what to do?!

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2004, 08:51 PM
    Re: Distemper Shots
    It definitely is not normal for a dog to react like that to any shot. I go through this every year, and never remember anything like that. You should have let the vet know. Be sure to tell the vet about it before the coming shot. Some dogs are a little more sensitive to medicines. The vet may want to reduce the dose slightly.
    Lily_#1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2004, 04:36 AM
    Distemper Shots
    I told my vet & actually took my pup in to have her checked out after the first shot. The vet commented that it could just be a "reaction." I'm still a bit nervous & not sure what to do. Thanks for your help!
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2004, 05:06 AM
    Reactions are unusual, but do happen. Don't hesitate to call the vet if it happens again.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Oct 3, 2004, 07:16 PM
    Distemper Shots
    Hello,

When this happens to a cat we give baby aspirin or a benedryl shot prior to the vaccination.

It almost always helps in animals who have sensitivity to vaccinations.

Never use Tylenol, Ibuprofen, or Naproxin in animals. They are highly toxic. Even aspirin should only be given sparingly.

For a average weight cat, we dose about 1/2 to 3/4 of a BABY ASPIRIN. NEVER Give an adult dose... ask your vet if you are not sure.

Regards,
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2004, 09:16 PM
    What you say is completely true for dogs. A 30 pound or over dog can be given an entire 325 mg buffered aspirin tablet. I doubt many cats are over 30 pounds. Good post, glad there is somebody here to give good answers to cat questions.
    BGracie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2004, 05:26 PM
    Distemper shot reactions
    I have dealt with a dog and a cat who get reactions from distemper shots, both receive a benadryl shot at the same time as the distemper shot. A dog that pants, shakes his head, rolls, or skin gets pink is having a reaction and needs treated immediately. While most reactions are mild, my dog has the moderate reaction to them. My cat will just not eat, lays around and just wants to be left alone. Also any reaction to shots, need to be reported to the vet because they inturn are suppose to mark your pets record for future use as a warning for a possible reaction and may give a benadryl shot with the vaccination. They also need to know so that where they may have received their vaccine it gets documented in case there is a problem with the vaccine batch and they can notify the maker.
    kcm Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2004, 02:41 PM
    Hi there, I'm new to this site as you will all see with the newbie below my name ;) I just notice the junior and senior experts and wondered what qualifications you guys had? I hope that doesn't sound rude I wondered if you became an expert but using the forum on a regular basis or if you were qualified in some way.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Nov 1, 2004, 08:02 PM
    Any dog only needs 1 set of shots for life
    Just as we are vaccinated for measles, etc when we are babies dogs should be only given 1 set of shots when they are puppies. After that you can have a titre test done (blood test) to see if the dog has the anti-bodies from the 1st vaccination in their system. When you repeatedly give a dog vaccinations it screws up their immune systems and that leads to all kinds of diseases such as cancer, skin problems, etc. Do a search in Google for titre test dogs and get all the information before u poison your dogs/cats.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2004, 03:06 PM
    Ratings
    I just found out how to get into the upgraded site. I am not sure how things work now, but here in the past you regularly were upgraded based on the numbers of questions you answered. Maybe my month's absence has down graded me from ultra expert. I am a senior expert, not because I was proven good, but because I have been around a long time and given many answers, good, bad, or indifferent. I hope the new rating system doesn't lead to the same abuse and games as I have seen elsewhere. The original AskMe was a joke with people using multiple screen names giving themselves great ratings and others low ratings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Distemper [ 5 Answers ]

What else should I do with a puppy that was diagnosed with distemper (I found it in the streets) went to the vet. And he gave it the shots but all of the sudden this puppy had diarrhea and difficulty standing up straight I went again to the Vet. And was diagnosed with distemper. Is she going to...

Question on shots [ 5 Answers ]

I am giving away one of my dogs. Her name is skippy. This dog just showed up on our farm as a stray, and I am not longer able to take care of her, due to being in college and about 3 hrs away. I have had her for a few years, but have not kept her up on her shots. Now the family that I am going to...

Rabie Shots [ 6 Answers ]

When Are Puppies Suppose To Get There First Rabie Shot

Distemper shots for dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I read on a holistic website that shots are not very healthy for dogs, that most shots are good for several yrs, and that the only shot required by law every 3 yrs is a rabies shot. So I just skipped the shots for my shit-zu this year. My neighbor's german shepherd just died of distemper, because...

View more questions Search