Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    72split Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Restraining order
    My ex from 7 years ago filled a restaining order against me. She made stuff up at the hearing and the judge believed her. I am married, my wife doesn't know I have this filed against me. Anyone know how I can get this removed from public record? I am told it can affect me getting a passport - is this true? I am worried about my reputation as if you search for me on case.net I come up as a stalker. Help
    08_777444 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Nov 12, 2008, 09:59 AM
    They are called public records for a reason. It has to stay public record in case you do it again. Even if you were innocent, the victim, or so called victim, has rights. The restraining order may expire, but the case stays on your record indefinitely.

Where I live you cannot buy a gun if you have a restraining order against you. As for the passport, I have heard that they can and do deny passports if you have a warrant but I don't think the same applies to a restraining order. If you're on parole that would change things, but as long as your not on parole, and not on the international do-not-fly list you should be able to go out of the country and return without problems.

I also have never heard of anyone being able to have a public record removed, unless it was bargained into a plea. And even then sometimes they don't remove them.
    over_it Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 08:15 AM
    I had a Rrestraining Order against my X husband years ago. I recently got a call from him informing me that he went to Mexico. When coming back into the US, he was stopped at customs because he came up as having a RO against him. Although it has expired, those records do stay in the system.

Luckily, he was cleared to reenter the US. He is not the same man as he was back then and I'm glad of that, But his past did affect him even after 10 years as he was detained for almost 2 hours while they figured it all out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restraining order [ 3 Answers ]

I am married and have an ex-"friend". My ex lives directly next door and will not leave me alone. I sent her a signed certified letter requesting that she stops calling me and cease all attemps to contact me. That worked for 2 months. She is at it again. Now what? Restraining order out of the...

Restraining order [ 17 Answers ]

How old do you have to be to file for a restraining order and do you have to have evidence as to why you need one? I broke up with my ex girlfriend back in July, for a while we kind of talked like friends, then she started dating some one who I though was a friend so I stop talking to her and...

Restraining Order. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so I hit a girl who used to be my friend, and Her mom got a restraining order on me. Well now she wants to be friends with me, but I wasn't Sure if I can actually be nice to her and talk to her, And if the restraining order was just for harassing her, Or if I can't talk to her at all.

Restraining order [ 5 Answers ]

I am currentlly with a man who is married but has been separated from his wife for 2 years. He is finally starting divorce proceedings. When he and his wife first separated she took out a restraining order to the effect that I cannot be around their 3 year old daughter. It has been almost 2...

Can I get a restraining order? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband talks to his exwife every few weeks, just a civil "hey how ya doing" kind of thing. I have no problem with this, as we all grew up going to the sames schools etc. His exwife is in a relationship... the relationship that ended her marriage to my husband (she cheated on him and is still...

View more questions Search