Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackofall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Replacing an ungrounded outlet with a grounded one
    I would like to replace my 2-prong (ungrounded) outlets with 3-prong (grounded) ones. I didn't see a ground wire when I removed the outlet.
    How can I replace an ungrounded outlet with a grounded one? Also, how can I find out if my outlet box is grounded?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 07:19 PM

Well, you can't unless you can pull a ground wire to the receptacle box. If the box is metal as well as the cable some folks will use that to get a ground but an electrician wouldn't. You can install a GFCI which will accept a 3 prong but it won't be grounded, just ground faulted.
    evolkmar Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2008, 08:23 AM

Get a tester and check if you have ground. If you don't, you can run a green wire to cold water pipe.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Nov 11, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by evolkmar View Post
    Get a tester and check if you have ground. if you don't, you can run a green wire to cold water pipe.
    please back-up your comments with code.

Nov 11, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington1 View Post
    please back-up your comments with code.
    It is OK and code to do that yung boy.

Nov 11, 2008, 09:02 AM
    It is OK and code to do that yung boy.
    Please back up your comments with code.

Thank you!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
    I agree with Washington, please provide the exact code section that allows this practice as suggested:

Get a tester and check if you have ground. if you don't, you can run a green wire to cold water pipe.
    Since there was a request for backup, and your vague and condescending answer lacked any details, let's shorten this process, look at NEC 2008 Section 250.130 (C) , and I defy you to find that attaching anywhere to a cold water line is allowed.

And remember that per Section 250.50 refers to 250.52 (A) 1, that describes a metal underground water line in contact 10 feet or longer in earth can be used as a grounding electrode, and only allows attachment of any grounding conductor within 5 feet of the interior portion of the pipe.

Now, what if your suggestion was to someone having a typical well system using black plastic pipe serving the home, and the only metal pipe was inside, connected to the plastic pipe.

Or, even they only had plastic pipe thruout the home, you didn't even suggest metal pipe.

Don't even suggest that a metal pipe is ground because it gets connected to various usage items in the home.

I think I have sufficiently provided backup to cause your suggestion to be refuted, please provide backup for your suggestion.

Nov 11, 2008, 02:12 PM

Did you ever knew that water are coductor? If not I dare you to touch live wire with one hand and water (in plastic) with the other hand. I hope I made my point.
    But never the less, when I said pipe I meant copper or galvnised that whole house is the same and not mixed with ABS, PVC, any Plastic,
    Or just put a groung rod.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 05:14 PM

No one says water isn't a conductor but running a green wire to a water pipe is not code that I have read. Some folks may do this as a jury rigged approached but it is not safe. Listen to the electricians here, quote the code if you still think you are right.

Nov 11, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    I agree with Washington, please provide the exact code section that allows this practice as suggested:

Since there was a request for backup, and your vague and condescending answer lacked any details, let's shorten this process, look at NEC 2008 Section 250.130 (C) , and I defy you to find that attaching anywhere to a cold water line is allowed.

And remember that per Section 250.50 refers to 250.52 (A) 1, that describes a metal underground water line in contact 10 feet or longer in earth can be used as a grounding electrode, and only allows attachment of any grounding conductor within 5 feet of the interior portion of the pipe.

Now, what if your suggestion was to someone having a typical well system using black plastic pipe serving the home, and the only metal pipe was inside, connected to the plastic pipe.

Or, even they only had plastic pipe thruout the home, you didn't even suggest metal pipe.

Don't even suggest that a metal pipe is ground because it gets connected to various usage items in the home.

I think I have sufficiently provided backup to cause your suggestion to be refuted, please provide backup for your suggestion.
    Exactly! And thank you!

I'm so sick of people given me lip when they can't put forward facts!

People: WE DO THIS FOR A LIVING, AND SOME OF US LIVE THIS. Which means: Don't run your trap if you can't back it up!!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 08:36 AM
    I am not sure what your point is here:

did you ever knew that water are coductor? if not I dare you to touch live wire with one hand and water (in plastic) with the other hand. I hope I made my point.
    Hold a live wire in one hand and a plastic pipe containing water in the other? So? What is the problem? I lost your point.

But never the less, when i said pipe I ment copper or galvnised that whole house is the same and not mixed with ABS, PVC, any Plastic,.
    OK State that, but you did not address the well issue, and if the cold water pipe is grounded as being used as the grounding electrode, and only within five feet of entry into the building.

Or just put a groung rod.
    Arbitrarily just driving ground rods is not the answer for an equipment ground for a receptacle. A ground rod DOES NOT establish an equipment ground.

To answer the question to Jackofall, what you are allowed to do is install a green wire same size as the circuit back to one of several locations, now here is where it will get confusing to you.

My other point will be if you can run a ground wire from a 2 wire receptacle, why not run a new 3 wire cable and avoid trying to understand the following?

1. Attach to the grounding electrode system.

Do you have any idea what this is?

This IS NOT attaching anywhere on any metal cold water pipe in the home.

If you have metal water pipe serving the home, this is one electrode, as long as ten feet of pipe is in contact with the earth. You can attach to this pipe no farther than 5 feet away from point of enty into the home.

If you have a ground rod system, then attach to the ground rod.

2.Attach to an accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor.

This is the ground wire leaving your panel or meter and connects to the water line or ground rod.

3 & 4. Connect to the equipment ground bar OR the system neutral bar inside a panel or meter.

#3 & #4 requires you to enter the live panel, and forget about entering the meter.

So, now you see why ,if you can go through all the trouble of running a separate equipment ground wire, it would be better for many reasons to run new cable to this outlet.

Do not do as suggested by evolkmar, by connecting anywhere to any cold water pipe, only at the water pipe entraance and only if it is a grounding electrode, and never, never, never, just drive a separate ground rod to act as an equipment ground.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 09:25 AM

Actually pure water doesn't conduct electricity very well. It's resistivity can be 10E15 ohm-cm or so. A big number. The problem is contaminants in the water and the salt on your skin will make the water conductive.

PVC is a good insulator too, so touching PVC and a live 120 V live conductor isn't going to even give you a tingle. I'd do it in front of you to prove a point. I'll even stick my tongue on it after cleaning the pipe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing vanity light without a convenience outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace a 35-yr old bath vanity light with attached convenience outlet, with one that does not have an outlet. My electrical experience is limited to replacing simple fixtures. What should I look out for when I remove the old light, and what should I do with the outlet wire? Thanks much,...

Replacing an outlet [ 2 Answers ]

My brother-n-law came over to look at some outlets that weren't working. He fixed 2 and said the other 2 had to be replaced. How would I go about doing that? Thanks, Cindy

Replacing bathroom outlet for fan and lights [ 3 Answers ]

The double switch outlet in my bathroom went out. One switch controlled the fan and the other the lights (one on the ceiling and three on the wall). I went to Menards and bought a new double switch outlet for the wall. I thought it was going to be EASY - take the old one out and hook the new one...

Open Ground showing on grounded outlet [ 2 Answers ]

Replacing an outlet I attached the ground wire to the ground wire coming out of the wall box. The test shows an open ground, so I did it again. Same results. The ground wire inside the box is twisted with another ground wire and both appear to be solidly connected coming out. All other outlets...

View more questions Search