Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIY2008 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2008, 11:07 PM
    Wiring a Blower motor
    I just purchased a GE 3585 model# 5KCP39JGN653T 1/3 hp 115 volts with a permanent split capacitor. I rewired the motor just as the diagram showed and the same as the old motor. From motor White(common) to cap, Brown to cap, Bk(hi) to bk, Rd(low) to rd. From Jbox the other White to cap. There was a brown with a white stripe and a blue that I taped off. My question is how do the wires connect to the capacitor? The cap has two sides so to say. Right now I have both whites on one side and the brown on the other. Any help?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 05:11 AM
    Wiring colors for most motors are White = Common, Black = High, Yellow = Medium, Blue = Medium Low, Red = Low. Brown w/white tracer is for the run capacitor the same as white. Brown is for the run capacitor.

Blue you do not need. As you can see it is just another motor speed.

The brown/brown white trace hook up will work just like it is.
    DIY2008 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2008, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the answer. I still am having problems with it. Connected like I stated above did not work. When I turned the heater on the heater flame kicked on. The T-Stat with the dail inside the unit started to turn but the blower never kicked on. I can hear the blower moter humming but not turning. The fan is very free! I placed the Br/wh tracer on the cap with the two white and other brown. The moter turned very, very slowly but would not shut off. I turned the fan from auto to on and the fan speed took off. Upon placing the unit back in auto the motor went back to very slow. Without the brown/white wire the moter just hums. Maybe this will help you help me. If you need more info just ask.

Nov 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DIY2008 View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I still am having problems with it. Connected like I stated above did not work. When I turned the heater on the heater flame kicked on. The T-Stat with the dail inside the unit started to turn but the blower never kicked on. I can hear the blower moter humming but not turning. The fan is very free! I placed the Br/wh tracer on the cap with the two white and other brown. The moter turned very, very slowly but would not shut off. I turned the fan from auto to on and the fan speed took off. upon placing the unit back in auto the motor went back to very slow. Without the brown/white wire the moter just hums. Maybe this will help you help me. if you need more info just ask.

Now you did say that when you put the thermostat switch for the blower on the ON position the fan worked. Is this correct? If so the fan is running fine on the high speed since the ON switch on the thermostat uses a relay to bypass the fan and limit control (the dial that moves on the furnace). If this is the case then the problem is with the fan and limit control.

The capacitor should be wired with the brown on one side of the capacitor and the brown with white tracer wire to the other side. Then the white wire should go to the neutral feed to the motor.

Note the motor will not run very fast using the Red low speed wire.

See picture posted below. Click to open.

Nov 11, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Now you did say that when you put the thermostat switch for the blower on the ON position the fan worked. Is this correct? If so the fan is running fine on the high speed since the ON switch on the thermostat uses a relay to bypass the fan and limit control (the dial that moves on the furnace). If this is the case then the problem is with the fan and limit control.

The capacitor should be wired with the brown on one side of the capacitor and the brown with white tracer wire to the other side. Then the white wire should go to the neutral feed to the motor.

Note the motor will not run very fast using the Red low speed wire.

See picture posted below. Use the bottom RIGHT side diagram. Click to open.
    Link below
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (158.6 KB, 1689 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower Motor wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Blower motor has 4 wires +ground. 1 yellow 1 blk & 2 brwn(one with a small copper band on it) How is it to be wired to power? Which is common and which for speed? Thanks.

Blower motor wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I recently replaced the squirrel cage on my Goodman Manuf. AR60-1 Air Handler. When I removed the blower, the wires attached to the motor detached from the furnace controls and I did not see where they were attached. There are 4 wires coming from the motor. One is the ground. One is red and it...

Furnace blower motor wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old furnace blower that I want to convert to a shop air clearner. I want the motor to operate from a normal 110 volt switch. My question is which wires do I connect to the switch? The motor is a 1/2 hp Emerson Model K55HXLGG3702 It has 6 wires - black, white, brown, blue, red, yellow

Air Cond blower motor wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have a blower motor out of an Old air conditioner. It has 6 wires plus a green ground on the chasis. I assume this means it's a 3 speed motor? The motor is a KUSATSU Elec. CO LTD. Motor SN: 911483 "FC6T-61D1P". I Have searched all around and cannot find the information I need. I want to...

View more questions Search