Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skoobahead Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Carrier furnace gas valve won't open
    Hello,

My carrier furnace is on the fritz. I am receiving a 34 code which states"ignition proving failure"
    The blower fan starts and the hot surface ignitor lights but no gas flows. I replaced the ignitor with a new one-no help. The flame sensor is clean.When I check voltage at the gas valve connectors I see 12V. Is this the problem? Should I be seeing 24V?

Any help appreciated
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Oct 22, 2008, 04:15 PM

Yes, normally you should see 24VAC. Is this the first time you started the system up this year? Some times these valves will stick. Try tapping on it while it is in a call for heat.

Oct 22, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Hi Mark,

Actually it's seeing 15V. What's my next step if tapping on gas valve doesn't work? Possible flame sensor? How do I test it?

Thanks
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Oct 22, 2008, 08:01 PM

Eh if you're not getting ignition then the flame sensor isn't going to make a difference. It only proves ignition.

Oct 23, 2008, 02:06 AM
    Well I just noticed voltage to gas valve is at 15V *prior* to ignitor lighting up. When it does light up voltage jumps to 28v. Sounds like I need a new gas valve
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 04:32 AM
    Sounds like a good decission.
    jabi1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Hey I got same problem BUT when I tap on gas value it clicks then lights. It might run for a couple days then it starts all over again. My question is can I take apart and clean gas valve?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 06:23 PM
    My question is can I take apart and clean gas valve?

NO NO NO NO. Got the idea yet. That is a super big no.

Even if you have the proper tools for the special screws there are no gasket kits or parts available. It is far to dangerous to try to reuse one.

Now I do take one apart once in a while but that is for class just to show the people what is inside and how they work. After the class is over it is tossed in the garbage can.

Before they started to use the special tamperproof screws back in the 60's people would try and repair them. They even had a few rebuilding companys but after a few fires and explosions they all went out of business. Way to dangerous to try to fix.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 10, 2008, 06:34 PM

hvac1000 said it. NO NO NO No. Buy a new valve and live. It is not like a carburator on a vehicle. They are not rebuildable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Gas Furnace blower runs on/heat won't come on [ 3 Answers ]

I have a carrier gas furnace model 58DP100 . The fan runs continuously and the gas burners will not ignite ( the pilot is lit ) HELP... please .

My itunes won't open at all, does anybody know how to get it to open? [ 4 Answers ]

I recently got my computer back after having new virus scanns on my computer downloaded.. and I have used itunes since then but last night when I logged out and logged back in this morning, when I click on itunes, all that happens is it has the mouse thing which looks like its loading for a couple...

Carrier Heater won't shut off! Blows only cool air. Heat won't work! [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do? My carrier heater is only 2 years old. As of yesterday the heater unit wouldn't shut off and when I turn the heat up it just keeps blowing cool air. I heard I can trip a breaker switch. Is that the electrical switch in the garage or on the heater itself? Please let...

Furnace gas valve shuts off after unit is runnig won't restart [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace is a utica standing pilot gas unit I replaced the themocouple the boiler fired up. It seemed to be working but after running for awhile the gas valve shuts off and the boiler won't come back on. If I shut the gas turn off the pilot and relight the pilot the furnace kicks back on

Gas valve will not open on intertherm furnace blower is stuck [ 4 Answers ]

Intertherm furnace pilot is lit but burner will not I have 24 volts at valve

View more questions Search