Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Nov 9, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Dog doesn't drink enough water
    How can I get my dog rex to drink more water. He doesn't seem to drink enough, even if he's panting really hard he won't drink very much.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 08:15 AM

He will only drink as much as he needs, rexl23.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Nov 9, 2008, 11:00 AM

But what happens when I start skijoring with him, he is supposed to drink at least one cup of water before we go.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 12:47 PM

Rex, huskies, samoyeds, etc. only get to eat snow when on a validadad. I know that is a different situation. They are lapping up more water then you think. Put a cup of water in his dish and see how quickly its gone. That will tell you how much water he is getting at one sitting. They can go for a tremendous amount of time without.
    rver Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 11:44 AM
    How about wetting his food? Different situation, but I have an older dog and always mix her kibble up with about a cup of warm water and often ladd leftover stew or something. She loves it and always finishes it completely. If you're concerned about your dog not getting enough water adding some to the food would increase his intake.
    trinickjan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2009, 04:14 AM
    I have just the same worry with my lurcher. He only likes streams and ponds. Just lately I have been giving him water with a little soya milk added which he likes, but I don't leave this out for him, I just give it after his meals.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 05:26 PM

trinickjan it's best to check the dates on threads, while Rex is a regular member and will most likely see this a lot of the time the original poster never returns or the problem has been resolved.

In regards to your dog only liking to drink from streams and ponds have you considered buying a water bowl that circulates the water? They can be expensive but they are great for dogs who don't like drinking from still water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog won't drink water [ 9 Answers ]

My dog is 4 months old and he lost his first baby teeth last week and will only eat soft food, which is understandable, but now for the last 3 days he will not drink water. I had to start adding water to his food and make it like a gravy because he refuses the water completely. I can't afford to...

My DOg Won't Drink Any Water [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old female boxer that I got for the Hamilton SPCA... I have had her now for 14 days and at first she loved her clean water but now she has not drank any in almost 2 days. She seems fine but I don't know what I should do? :confused:

Dog will not drink water [ 2 Answers ]

My dog will not drink water

My dog won't drink his water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toy poodle that's 6yrs old, he was throwing up , he would drink his water but he couldn't keep it down. Took him to his vet they gave him meds, he's back eating his food but I can't get him to drink on his own, been giving him water with a eye dropper lookig thing.His vet is out of town,...

Dog won't drink water [ 9 Answers ]

Yesterday I found a stray dog in the street. He didn't have a collar. My mom and I walked him over to the nearby vet and she came out and looked him over. She said he was about 6 years old and her and I both agreed he seems to look like a shepherd collie mix. He's just a sweet heart, but the...

View more questions Search