Well said.
    Fred.
    needinfo08 Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    needinfo08,
    Well said.
    Fred.
    Thank you very much, Arcura! You appear to you have ears that hear :)
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Nov 5, 2008, 09:11 AM

Needinfo –

I understand where you are going with that question, “How does YHWH determine if you are worthy to receive eternal life? What is the standard?” Let me explain what I don't mean by worthy and what I do mean by worthy.

First off, the fundamental nature of the gospel itself declares that all men are unworthy by God's standard of righteousness. It was for man's unworthiness and evil that Jesus Christ endured the crucifixion and the subsequent wrath of God. He was killed and condemned for our sins and the condemnation he endured from God was supposed to be our condemnation, because “the wages of sin is death.”

However, we all know that not everyone believes the gospel because not everyone sees it as necessary or cares to submit to God even though God's hand of mercy is being extended to everyone. But whether we believe or don't believe, the fact remains that God is interested in being merciful to sinners. Why is He willing to be merciful unless there is by necessity something to forgive…this is getting at the heart of why I use the term worthy.

I am arguing that no human being can ever be worthy of eternal life by his own standards because the only standard that matters is God's. Paul has stated that “no flesh will be justified in His sight” because “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” So then, is it possible for you and I to be worthy of eternal life in God's eyes? The answer I think is obvious…of course not! However, what is central to the gospel is that God does forgive some for their sins and declare them righteous, but not because they themselves are righteous but because God is willing to overlook their sins because of Jesus's sacrificial death on their behalf.

In this case, since some are being identified with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection, then those who are identified with Christ are also being considered worthy of eternal life because upon the merit of Jesus, God is granting eternal life to them. It's not that man is striving to be worthy of eternal life, it is God reaching out among the whole of humanity and saving some to become heirs of the kingdom of God because He is desiring to do it…in effect, He is making us worthy to receive eternal life. By definition, worthy can simply mean having worth or merit or value; being honorable or admirable; "a worthy fellow." In the case of the bible, to be worthy means being made to have value or merit and we are made worthy because of our connectedness through Jesus Christ.

Nov 5, 2008, 06:06 PM
    I want to introduce a concept I discovered a few years ago that is not being taught by mainstream churches, but is born out by the Scriptures.

ETERNAL LIFE (Salvation) and the FORGIVENESS OF SINS (Justification) are not the same thing.

A problem with Christian theology is that it confuses "ETERNAL LIFE" with the "FORGIVENESS OF SINS". We need to look at things the way they actually are not the way we have been taught they are.

I believe the following scriptures will show that "FORGIVENESS OF SINS" is by unmerited grace; "ETERNAL LIFE" is by striving to keep the commandents.

Matthew 26:28 "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

Acts 10:43 "To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins."

Romans 3:25 "Whom YHWH hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of YHWH;"

Ephesians 1:7 "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;"

Colossians 1:14 "In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:"
    All the above verses talk about the "blood", "forgiveness", "grace". Heaven and Eternal Life are not mentioned.

ETERNAL LIFE is based on what you do after being FORGIVEN/CLEANSED:

Matthew 19:16 "And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have ETERNAL LIFE? 17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, YHWH: but IF THOU WILT ENTER INTO LIFE, KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS."

The Scriptures say YHWH cannot lie (Titus 1:2). The above verse is true. If ETERNAL LIFE could be obtained by some other means aside from keeping the commandments, Yahushua was obliged to state it. Look at the consistency throughout these verses:

Hebrews 5:9 "And being made perfect, he became the author of ETERNAL SALVATION unto all them that OBEY HIM;"

Romans 2:7 "To them who by PATIENT CONTINUANCE in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality,
    Hebrews 5:9 "And being made perfect, he became the author of ETERNAL SALVATION unto all them that OBEY HIM;"

Romans 2:7 "To them who by PATIENT CONTINUANCE in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, ETERNAL LIFE:"

1 John 2:24 "Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning (Torah). IF that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. 25And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even ETERNAL LIFE."

Romans 6:22 "But now being made free from sin, and become servants to YHWH, ye have your fruit unto set-apartness, and the end EVERLASTING LIFE."

Luke 13:24 "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able."

Galatians 6:8 "For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting."
    :"

1 John 2:24 "Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning (Torah). IF that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. 25And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even Forgiveness by grace; Eternal life by obedience to the laws of the Kingdom."

Romans 6:22 "But now being made free from sin, and become servants to YHWH, ye have your fruit unto set-apartness, and the end EVERLASTING LIFE."

Luke 13:24 "Strive to enter at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter, and shall not be able."

Galatians 6:8 "For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting."

[bbcode][/bbcode]
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 07:14 PM

Need,

So what you are saying is that I can have my sins forgiven and still go to hell because I didn't earn eternal life by keeping the law. Is that correct?
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Nov 5, 2008, 07:50 PM

Needinfo -

One of two things is true, regarding your desire to "...introduce a concept I discovered a few years ago that is not being taught by mainstream churches, but is born out by the Scriptures." Either you are right and the fact remains that mainstream churches are wrong (or hell-bound) or your interpretation is wrong... my guess is that you are right in your mind and so no amount of reasoning is relevant to the discussion at hand.

Hope the weather is nice in sunny Florida.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 07:57 PM

Jakester,

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 08:26 PM
    needinfo08,
    Eternal life can not be had without the remission of sins.
    We MUST be forgiven and clean of sin to enter heaven, so the bible tells us in several ways.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Nov 6, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Need,

so what you are saying is that i can have my sins forgiven and still go to hell because i didn't earn eternal life by keeping the law. Is that correct?
    REv 3: 5 "He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels."

Exo 32:33 "And the YHWH said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book."

I wouldn't say "earn eternal life" more like conform (have the mindset) to the laws of the Kingdom. There can be no denying that YHWH expects us to keep the commandments or HE wouldn't have given them.

"Blot out" to me implies that it was written down and then erased as oppose to never being written down. It is like being on probation. It is a hard reality, but it is what it is. I would rather know now then be deceived on Judgment Day.

"Keeping the commandments" is not an unachievable task. "Love YHWH with all thy heart, thy soul, thy mind and thy strength... love thy neighbor as thy self". The only thing most are not doing is keeping the 7 festivals.

Nov 6, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester View Post
    needinfo -
    ...my guess is that you are right in your mind and so no amount of reasoning is relevant to the discussion at hand.
    Don't you feel an obligation to help a misguided Brother? I do. That is why I share my views. I have a sincere desire to know the absolute truth since it effects my eternal destiny. I would think that most rational beings would feel the same way. If I am wrong please point it out so I can repent and get on the right track.

I would not have come to the conclusions that I have if I did not have a strong desire to "rightly divide" the Word. The Scriptures should never contradict each other and so far I have only found that my view does that.

Can you explain this one?

Matthew7:21-23
    21Not every one that saith unto me, Master, Master, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Master, Master, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity[without Torah].

I can and I do not have to twist logic or Scripture to do it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by needinfo08 View Post
    Don't you feel an obligation to help a misguided Brother? I do. That is why I share my views. I have a sincere desire to know the absolute truth since it effects my eternal destiny. I would think that most rational beings would feel the same way. If I am wrong please point it out so I can repent and get on the right track.

I would not have come to the conclusions that I have if I did not have a strong desire to "rightly divide" the Word. The Scriptures should never contradict each other and so far I have only found that my view does that.

Can you explain this one?

Matthew7:21-23
    21Not every one that saith unto me, Master, Master, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Master, Master, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity[without Torah].

I can and I do not have to twist logic or Scripture to do it.
    So can I... you didn't finish the verse. The LORD goes on to say I NEVER knew you. That is HUGE. He never knew these people. They had no real relationship with him and they NEVER did. He doesn't say... I knew you once but you sinned too many times so I dropped you. Never means NEVER. That isn't twisting scripture or twisting logic. It is just completing the verse.

Nov 6, 2008, 10:58 AM
    so can i...you didn't finish the verse. the LORD goes on to say I NEVER knew you. That is HUGE. He never knew these people. They had no real relationship with him and they NEVER did. He doesnt say...i knew you once but you sinned too many times so i dropped ya. Never means NEVER. That isn't twisting scripture or twisting logic. It is just completing the verse.
    Actually you didn't finish this verse. The key to this verse is "iniquity". He labels those that He never "know" intimately as "workers of iniquity". What is "inquity"?

"Iniquity" in the Greek is Strong’s Number 458 “anomia” :

The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon

Strong's Number: 458
    Definition:
    • the condition of without law
    • because ignorant of it
    • because of violating it
    • contempt and violation of law, iniquity, wickedness

So here is the verse with the Strong's Number by it

Matthew
    7:23 And <2532> then <5119> will I profess <3670> unto them <846> * <3754>, I never <3763> knew <1097> you: <5209> depart <672> from <575> me, <1700> ye that work <2038> iniquity. <458>

And here is the verse with the actual definition of "iniquity" used

7:23 And then will I profess unto them *, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work contempt and violation of Torah. <458>

Another Example

Matthew
    13:41 The Son <5207> of man <444> shall send forth <649> his <846> angels, <32> and <2532> they shall gather <4816> out of <1537> his <846> kingdom <932> all things <3956> that offend, <4625> and <2532> them which do <4160> iniquity; <458>

13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do violate the Torah. <458>

He is the Word become flesh, He is the embodiment of those virtues YHWH desires. He never "knew" them because they never became one with the Word. He only does what His Father commands, we are to imitate Messiah.
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Nov 6, 2008, 11:13 AM
    [QUOTE= A problem with Christian theology is that it confuses [B]"ETERNAL LIFE" [/B]with the "FORGIVENESS OF SINS". We need to look at things the way they actually are not the way we have been taught they are.

I believe the following scriptures will show that "FORGIVENESS OF SINS" is by unmerited grace; "ETERNAL LIFE" is by striving to keep the commandents. QUOTE]

If by "striving to keep the commandments" you mean "the obedience of faith" then you are not far from the truth. But it is still not our "striving" that gives us eternal life. The "striving to keep the commandents" is the fruit of having had the Holy Spirit come into our hearts by the power of the gospel.

Rom 1:16-17

16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
    NIV

Jesus said that a person who has received Him has become a new person who WILL do good works. He speaks of these good works as automatic to those who have become His:

Matt 7:15-19
    16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
    NIV

BUT the Law is no longer a condemning requirement to those who are joined to God. The Law cannot condemn us. I suppose that is why you used the word "striving" instead of the requirement, "must do".

Salvation, Remission of sins, Eternal Life, etc are all ours through our faith in God and His fulfilled promise to us through His Son.

Even now we have eternal life and sit with Christ in the heavenlies:

Eph 2:6-10
    6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
    NIV

The "CONFUSION" that you mention is not over grace and good works, but it is over the biblical distinction between JUSTIFICATION (being saved and having eternal life by faith) and SANCTIFICATION (the life of holiness after and due to being justified by the blood of ?Christ) not being taught by most of the teachers/preachers of the Word.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Actually you didn't finish this verse. The key to this verse is "iniquity". He labels those that He never "know" intimately as "workers of iniquity". What is "inquity"?

"Iniquity" in the Greek is Strong's Number 458 “anomia” :

The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon

Strong's Number: 458
    Definition:
    • the condition of without law
    • because ignorant of it
    • because of violating it
    • contempt and violation of law, iniquity, wickedness

So here is the verse with the Strong's Number by it

Matthew
    7:23 And <2532> then <5119> will I profess <3670> unto them <846> * <3754>, I never <3763> knew <1097> you: <5209> depart <672> from <575> me, <1700> ye that work <2038> iniquity. <458>

And here is the verse with the actual definition of "iniquity" used

7:23 And then will I profess unto them *, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work contempt and violation of Torah. <458>

Another Example

Matthew
    13:41 The Son <5207> of man <444> shall send forth <649> his <846> angels, <32> and <2532> they shall gather <4816> out of <1537> his <846> kingdom <932> all things <3956> that offend, <4625> and <2532> them which do <4160> iniquity; <458>

13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do violate the Torah. <458>

He is the Word become flesh, He is the embodiment of those virtues YHWH desires. He never "knew" them because they never became one with the Word. He only does what His Father commands, we are to imitate Messiah.
    Well see I disagree with you the KEY word is NEVER. He said he NEVER knew them. They professed Christianty and yet were not Christians. Look at this country today... how many people say yes, I'm a Christian.. and they haven't got a clue what that even means. There are people going to church and working in the Church and doing good works and they are clueless as to a relationship with the Lord. I asked one who has been going to church for years what the gospel was... his reply? "the gospel is all the differnet stories in the Bible." Thankfully he NOW understands what the gospel is and is now Saved but there are many people who figure if they are pretty good in their eyes and go to church or at least own the name of Jesus somehow that will be enough. They are busy being good ( in their eyes) without a relationship with Jesus Christ.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 12:42 PM
    REv 3: 5 "He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels."

Exo 32:33 "And the YHWH said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book."

I wouldn't say "earn eternal life" more like conform (have the mindset) to the laws of the Kingdom. There can be no denying that YHWH expects us to keep the commandments or HE wouldn't have given them.

"Blot out" to me implies that it was written down and then erased as oppose to never being written down. It is like being on probation. It is a hard reality, but it is what it is. I would rather know now then be deceived on Judgment Day.

"Keeping the commandments" is not an unachievable task. "Love YHWH with all thy heart, thy soul, thy mind and thy strength...love thy neighbor as thy self". The only thing most are not doing is keeping the 7 festivals.
    No one has ever kept the law (except Jesus Himself):

Rom 3:23
    For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
    NKJV

And keeping most of it, but not all means that you are still guilty of all:

James 2:10
    For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one [point,] he is guilty of all.
    NKJV

Keeping the law has nothing to do with salvation:

Gal 2:16
    "knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.
    NKJV

Gal 2:21
    "I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness [comes] through the law, then Christ died in vain."
    NKJV

Further, note that the law is not for those who are saved:

1 Tim 1:9-11
    The law is not made for a righteous person, but for [the] lawless and insubordinate, for [the] ungodly and for sinners, for [the] unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust.
    NKJV

But it is for the unsaved to lead them to Christ by showing them how far they are away from God's standard:

Gal 3:24-25
    Therefore the law was our tutor [to bring us] to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
    NKJV

The worst of it is, if you place yourself under the law by trying to keep the law rather than depending solely upon the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, then you are judged by the law, and as Romans 3:23 says, there is no hope for those who choose to place themselves under the law.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 01:57 PM

Tj3,

EXCELLENT POST. I will never understand Christians that want to mix law with grace. It is frustrating.

Nov 6, 2008, 03:32 PM
    If by "striving to keep the commandments" you mean "the obedience of faith" then you are not far from the truth. But it is still not our "striving" that gives us eternal life. The "striving to keep the commandents" is the fruit of having had the Holy Spirit come into our hearts by the power of the gospel.
    Question: In order to spend eternity in Heaven is there any other requirement other than having my sins forgiven through confession?
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Nov 6, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Question: In order to spend eternity in Heaven is there any other requirement other than having my sins forgiven through confession?
    What keeps people out of heaven? Isn't it sin?

Then, if Jesus took your sins on Himself to the cross... the barrier which kept you out is gone.

1 Cor 15:20-27
    21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 24 Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death...
    1 Cor 15:44-54
    ... If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam , a life-giving spirit. 46 The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven. 48 As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the man from heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so shall we bear the likeness of the man from heaven.

50 I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."
    NIV

This is definitely speaking of IMMORTALITY/ETERNAL LIFE.

It is just fantastic great news that you and I have been forgiven all the mistakes/sins committed before and after we came to know Jesus; the sacrifice and propitiation for all our sins.

This message is the revelation of the love of God for you. You have eternal life. Celebrate it by praising God and seeking to be ever more obedient to our God. You are forgiven and are His called and adopted child.

Nov 6, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by revdrgade View Post
    What keeps people out of heaven? Isn't it sin?
    And what is sin?

"...sin is transgression of the law" 1John 3:4

This is the only definition of sin that I know. So you statement could read:

Quote Originally Posted by revdrgade View Post
    What keeps people out of heaven? Isn't it trangressing the law?
    Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Messiah is speaking to the "elect", these people are required to "overcome" or else they will be hurt by the second death.

Rev 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

5He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

It has got to be apparent that something more is required than just the forgiveness of your sins. You have to meet some standard or else you are hurt by the second death or blotted out of the book of life.

Nov 6, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Well see i disagree with you the KEY word is NEVER. He said he NEVER knew them. They professed Christianty and yet were not Christians. Look at this country today...how many people say yes, I'm a Christian..and they haven't got a clue what that even means. There are people going to church and working in the Church and doing good works and they are clueless as to a relationship with the Lord. I asked one who has been going to church for years what the gospel was...his reply? "the gospel is all the differnet stories in the Bible." Thankfully he NOW understands what the gospel is and is now Saved but there are many peopel who figure if they are pretty good in their eyes and go to church or at least own the name of Jesus somehow that will be enough. They are busy being good ( in their eyes) without a relationship with Jesus Christ.
    1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

The above clearly supports what I pointed out in Matthew. You cannot "know" Him apart from keeping the commandments. It as though this verse were inserted just to clear up Matthew 7:23.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search