Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickels Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Above Ground Pool Questions
    I am about to purchase an 18' Above Ground Pool. Part of the deal was that I go to the sellers house to dissassemble and remove the pool (it will be drained). Is this something that can easily be done by two-three people with average skills. This means I have done some home improvement stuff like installing sinks and helping to finish a basement, but I've never dissassembled a pool before! Any idea how long this might take us??

Second, I may need to store the pool for a few months while I get my yard ready for installation. Do I need to fully dry the liner for storage, or keep it damp with wet towels or other techniques? I am seeing conflicting info on this from various sites.

Lastly, if there is anything else that I should know before starting this task?

Thanks for any help!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Hi, Nickels,
    As one experienced with above ground swimming pools, maybe I can help. I have a 15 x 30 above ground in my back yard, bought new and used it for about 17 yrs... no longer use it.
    I still have all the manuals, booklets, and installation instructions, and will run an ad soon to try getting someone to take it for free, if they tear it down and move it themselves.
    First, two people can do it, but don't know exactly how long it will take. IF the screws, nuts and bolts are not rusted, shouldn't take but maybe a full day.
    Next, IF the pool liner, (the liner that holds the water), is over 10 yrs old, you may have to buy a new liner. Mine was guaranteed for 10 yrs, and does have a few holes in the bottom, that I repaired with underwater glue and pieces of plastic liner.
    It doesn't matter if you store the liner dry or wet. When a new one is shipped, it will be dry, and might have been stored in a warehouse for quite some time, before shipping.
    Then, when you start to put it up, borrow an engineers tripod, and a "level", which you can use to level your ground. Should not be more than 1/4" difference in level all across the pool bottom... with ABSOLUTELY no rocks underneath the pool.
    Best of luck, and ask the person who owns it if they still have the manuals and booklets.
    My wife and I installed the pool ourselves, many years ago. Took more time to grade the ground, fill in with sand, rake out all the rock, than it did to actually put up the pool with the deck.

Apr 14, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply. The person told me that the liner was just replaced last year, so it is new. The pool itself looks to be in fine shape from the pictures, with the age of it being no more then 5-6 years old.

I'll worry about the re-assembly once I get it removed. Sounds like tomorrow is going to be a long day. Haha

Thanks again for the help!!

Apr 15, 2006, 02:10 PM
    Well it is done...

It took about 3 hard-workin hours to remove the pool. Guess what, the seller was a bit off on the specs. It was really a 24' round pool, not 18 feet. Sweet mistake! The only pool pieces that didn't make it were the bottom curved rail sections that appear to help keep the shape of the sidewall. Hopefully I can find them somewhere, which I am pretty sure shouldn't be a huge problem. If anyone knows where to find them please let me know.

It is going to be a major feat getting this pool installed in time to use it this year.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2006, 02:34 PM
    I just want to know when we are all going to be invited to the swim party.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2006, 05:07 AM
    HI,
    I want to be invited, too!
    You might have to buy new "wall" for it; don't know where you could find it. Might try searching Google online, if you don't mind ordering something online.
    That's where I got my last pool cover... very good buy!
    Also, if it has a sand filter, might have to buy some new, clean sand.
    Best of luck.

Apr 17, 2006, 06:18 AM
    The "wall" is fine, it is coiled up (and upright) in my garage right now. The bottom track is 90% trashed. I need to find the curved 3 foot sections that go together to make up the bottom rail which holds the wall in place. I tried Google with no luck... next stop - pool stores.

The owner had no manuals, so I have to find all the info online. I assume the filter manual shouldn't be too hard to locate. The sand filter weighs about 100 awkward pounds. It was really fun moving it!

Believe me, if I get this installed I will party it up. Right now that seems like a lifetime of work away...
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2006, 06:55 AM
    HI,
    OK, I now understand about the bottom rail track, holding the wall in place.
    I am sorry, but really don't know where to find this. Hopefully, as you suggested, a Pool supply place might have some, along with searching online.

Apr 18, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Does anyone know what "MB" (I think that's the logo) could stand for? That is embossed on the top Rail covers. It's the only clue that I have to find out what type of pool I have.

Hmmm - Google search came up with Wil-Bar. I hope that's it!
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2006, 07:17 AM
    HI,
    No, don't know what MB is.
    But, here is a site:
    http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/abo...-shopping.html
    I ordered a pool cover from the above link last year, for around $50. It is a good one, and is good quality. Received it in only about 3 days from the site.
    They also have a toll free number, and might be able to help with the rails.

Apr 18, 2006, 07:50 AM
    Cool thanks!

May 5, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Above Ground Pool - level ground ?
    Quick question about installing an above ground pool. Can it be partially buried? My backyard is sloped and I can't afford a retaining wall. My new plan is to level a moon shaped area of my yard (slightly larger then the pool shape), build the pool, and then fill the space back in with dirt. The back of the pool would be about 3 feet in the dirt and the front would hardly be buried at all.

Can the above ground pool act as a retaining wall, or does it depend on the model? The pool is unknown model, 24' round with a rather think 52" high steel wall.

(I thought I posted this a few days ago but the thread has disappeared. Please let me know if there is a reason for that or if I just forgot to hit submit.)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 5, 2006, 07:52 AM
    I don't have experience with this but do see plenty of talk about partially buried above ground pools - so apparently it's not uncommon.

Check these links out: Click the "cached" links to see the terms highlighted:
    "above ground pool""partially buried" - Google Search
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 08:23 AM
    HI,
    I would be very "leary" about it acting as a "retaining wall". They are constructed to withstand presurre from inside out. The 10,000 gals of water, or so, will put much pressure on the pool sides, but it will be pushing "out", against the frame of the pool.
    I don't know know that the pressure can be from the outside "in". I do know that when mine was full, 10,000 gals, 15ft x 30ft x 4 ft deep, I would not have wanted a lot of pressure pushing "in" on it. It's not designed for that.
    I, too, have seen some above ground pools with higher "ground" around one side than the other, but the ground had a built-in retaining wall around it.

May 5, 2006, 09:24 AM
    The pool is 24' round so the retaining wall would cost me a few thousand dollars that I can't afford. I figured the pressure from the water would counter the pressure from the dirt. The pool has way more pressure going "out" from the water then "in" from the dirt on the side, so the pool would hold the dirt in place. I don't see how the dirt could bend or damage the pool wall which seems super sturdy, but that is why I am asking the question!

Thanks for the insight!
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2006, 05:01 AM
    Hi, nickels,
    You could be right. I live in the Appalachain Mountains, and probably are thinking about half a mountain having to be held back! Including rocks.
    If it's only dirt, then I would go for it.
    I am having to take down my own above ground pool myself. It's 26 yrs old, and no one wants it. Thought I could give it away, but no takers!
    Bought a bolt cutter for my electric drill, works great. You wouldn't believe all the rusted nuts and bolts. I'm glad you got a fairly new pool!
    Mine is going to the dump; piece by piece.

May 23, 2006, 12:43 PM
    I am having no luck identifying my pool manufacturer. Can anyone help based on this logo:

I thought it was a Muskin but their 24' round pools are in 17 segments and the bottom rim is 1" thick square and 51" long. My 24' round pool is in 16 segments, and the bottom rail is 5/8" thick square and 56" long.

HELP!

Jun 2, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Someone on another board figured it out.
    The logo is upsidedown...
    The pool is an Ester Williams pool.

I wonder if that is good?
    luvmysnowshoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Hi,
    I just saw your post. I just recent got me a freebie, yippee!! Mine is a whopper too, 21 x 41 x 52!
    Anyway, not sure if you have been able to find a bottom rail or installed your pool yet, but I wanted to let you know, you do not have to use the bottom rail. When I was young, my mom bought me a pool but the bottom rail was not usable like yours. Well, my brothers just dug a ditch where the pool wall sat further in the ground, they packed sand in around that area, like you use pool cove now and my pool stood for years!
    And the question about the wall being partially in ground, yes, you can do that without a retaining wall, my brother bought a 4 ft pool that was I think 18 foot round and half of it was at least 2 to 3 feet inground, his back yard was a slope. His was still standing 5 years later, he moved, so I don't know about now.. lol
    Well I hope you are enjoying your pool, I can't wait to get ours up and going.:D
    Samantha
    ggg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Go to The Delair Group Inc. They may be able to find your rails. They carry esther williams pools. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Above Ground Pool Setup [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to set up a new 24' Above Ground Pool and could use a little Advice. I am going to be using foam board instead of sand, will I still need to dig up all existing grass or can it just be killed out. The only reason I would like not to disturb the ground very much is that it is very level...

Above ground pool [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering, can I keep an above ground pool up all winter with no water in it or will it collapse even though it has the braces all around it? Thank you.

Removing above ground pool [ 5 Answers ]

hello, someone please help me, my girlfriend is moving to Arizona,and she is giving me her 15x30 oval pool. The thing is,I must remove it from her home and reinstall at mine. I have the bodies to do this,my question is; what tools would I need to safely remove this pool without ruining it or not...

Removal of an above ground pool [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a house and it has an above ground pool with a deck around it in the back yard. The pool was built in the 70's and has seen better days. I am in the process of trying to figure out who is the best person to remove it. I want to put grass in it's place. I am getting estimates at...

Above-ground pool installation [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a Muskin 18' round above ground pool from a friend; however, the instructions on the pool assembly can not be found. She didn't install the pool so she can't provide any advice on taking the pool down. I have searched the internet extensively for instructions with no...

View more questions Search