Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ittcc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Can I replace the 4" cast iron floor drain cover myself?
    I have a 4" cast iron floor drain cover that is corroding due to the salty water from when my water softener recycles.

How can I replace this drain cover? Do I have to replace with another cast iron drain cover? I'm afraid I'm going to have the same issue in a couple of years if I do. Can I use a plastic ABS 4" drain cover? If so, how do I make the transition?

I have 3 drains "routed" to that floor drain. Please see picture.

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 08:28 PM

You should be able to chisel out that cover. I'd break most of it out from the center. Then put a strong chisel along the edge and try to drive sideways into the opening to collapse the remaining ring. PVC or CPVC should be as good as ABS
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 09:20 PM

Agree with Ballengerb. In addition, I would suggest that you take the old cover with you to Home Depot and buy exactly the same size but in plastic. Cast iron is unprotected metal and will corrode rapidly if exposed to salt.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Here you go, (see image) For a six buck cost Click on: Hard to Find Items :: Plumbing & Heating :: Floor Drain Covers :: 4 7/8" Cast Iron Grate Floor Drain Cover
    To check it out. Good luck, tom
    ittcc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 08:36 AM

Thank you for your quick reply.

Do I need to do anything special with the new plastic drain cover? Or do I just pop it in? The label on the cover says, "may be solvent welded or inserted inside of 4" schedule 40 DWV ABS pip. Pipe can be cut flush with the finished floor."

So, if the salt water is corroding the drain cover... I'm sure the pipe itself is probably going to be affected the same way. How do I tell if the pipe is cast iron? Will I need to have a professional replace the pipe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2008, 12:29 PM
    In gave you a cast iron drain cover. If you already have a PVC one Just fit it in. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Stumped on hooking up shower pan to 4" cast-iron-in-concrete floor drain? [ 7 Answers ]

I ripped out the shower pan because water got under it and rotted some shims. This happened because the shower's 2" drain fitting was just loosely dumping the water into the 4" drain. I need to hook a shower pan to what looks like just a 4" cast iron floor drain. There is no flange or bell. I...

Cast Iron Drain Cover [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I recently retiled my bathroom and the drain cover in the shower was broken. Unfortunately, it was also thrown out so I don't have a picture to show you. I have included a picture of the cast iron drain it covers. The outside diameter of the drain measures 4" and the two...

Replace 1.5" galvanized steel (male threads) to 4" cast iron stack [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace a drain line from an old double cast iron kitchen sink. The existing pipe is 1.5" galvanized steel which threads directly into female threads on a 4" cast iron stack. The male threads of the galvanized pipe broke off in the cast iron. I'm guessing the easiest solution is to...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search