Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lp1964 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Lennox Furnace fan only runs on slow speed in heating mode
    I hope someone out there can help me under the control logic and components on my 1994 Lennox G20RE gas furnace.
    My fan runs at normal speed when it runs alone.
    When the furnace is in the "heat" mode, the fan only runs at minimum speed.
    It then overheats and begins to smell like it's burning up. Hot air comes out of the ducts at a minimal airflow rate, especially the overhead return? Ducts.
    What component on the BCC2 panel controls that circuit?
    Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Laurie
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 04:04 PM

Follow the wires from your blower motor to the control board. They should read something like this... heat, cool, fan, spare. Now look at your wiring diagram located inside one of the covers of your furnace. It should tell what colors correspond to speeds. Put a higher speed wire on the heat terminal on the board. Let me know what you find, and I will try to help further.

That said, your furnace should work just fine with the factory wiring. Sounds like you may have other factors causing your problem. Check your filter. Do you have central ac? Let me know some details and I will help as best I can.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Usually furnaces are designed to run on slow speed in the heat mode.
    How long has this been a problem? The reason I ask is that it was set from the factory to be on low speed and it has been running that way since 1994, What has changed? Did someone close off registers? Block the return air supply?

Oct 30, 2008, 04:28 PM

When we put the higher speed wire on the heat terminal on the board the fan ran at the correct (normal) speed.
    The filters are actually out of the furnace right now as that was my first thought too... plugged ducting - that doesn't appear to be the problem.
    I don't have central AC.
    It seems like there must be a relay that kicks the fan into a higher speed once the furnace heats up - but it is not currently completing that circuit under those conditions. I'm not exactly sure how the control logic works so I am just guessing here...
    Is there a temperature sensor somewhere that might be going bad?
    Thanks so much for your help!
    Laurie

Oct 30, 2008, 04:45 PM

The ducts are not blocked and no - nothing has changed. I did have the BCC-2 board (or just a component of that control board) replaced a couple years ago, and the service tech didn't have the part on hand, so he jumpered something - not sure what - to make the furnace run until the part came in. That is about all that has been touched on this unit up to this point.
    Thanks for your input!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating problems with Lennox Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Lennox Elite Series gas furnace, MN # G23Q3/4 100-2 Model. w/Central Air. The blower comes on and starts blowing cold air and approx 30 minutes to an hour later will blow out warm air. We thought it was a faulty thermostat (White Rogers brand) so we put a new one on. The furnace is...

Running blower at slow speed all the time, and high when compressor runs. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 58PAV090 furnace air handler. The fan has multiple leads which are used to run the blower at different speeds. The black is for High speed, yellow for medium high, blue for medium low and red for low. In the cooling mode, the blower turns on when the thermostat calls for cooling...

Lennox furnace fan runs on forever [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old Lennox conservator II forced hot air gas furnace, the furnace itself runs good and produces heat , the problem I have is that the furnace cycle never ends it turns on produces heat then the firing stops the fan continues to run it cools down then before the fan cycle stops...

Lennox G12 furnace runs constantly [ 3 Answers ]

Furnace runs constantly and gets quite HOT, even if thermostat doesn't call for heat. Changed thermostat, didn't help. Removed new thermostat and checked to see if thermostat wiring had spark, it didn't. What now? I recently vacuumed unit. Does that matter? It ran fine for a few weeks following...

Furnace slow speed fan [ 1 Answers ]

For the EXPERTS I have a Goodman GMS8 furnace with air. The manual slow speed fan setting was never hooked up at the thermostat. I believe it is just a matter of jumpering the terminals to engage the slow speed fan. If this is correct what terminals (at the furnace) do I jumper on the circuit...

View more questions Search