Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    biofish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 01:06 AM
    Flex gas line connected to fireplace burner safe?
    I have always been aprehesive about flexible gas lines. The home I just moved into has a new ventless natural gas fireplace. The gas comes into the fireplace via a flex line which is connected from the main gas line nearby. My question is... are the flex lines rated and approved to be used INSIDE the firebox itslef? (connected to the burner pan). It is a small fireplace and does not get to hot, however I was wondering what the rating on these things are when it comes to nearby flame.
    :confused:
    Rob
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Biofish... no need to worry about the flexible gas line as long as it is not directly in flame.

I have used flexible lines for gas fireplaces for years and want to assure you that they are fine.

If you have any further doubt , however, I recommend that you call your local plumbing inspector and ask him.

Hope this helped. If it did, please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on button below. Thank you
    hoossbigs Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 10:37 PM

They are fine, however, putting a smaller diamater flex as a 3/8 you tend to get a wisstle with a system such as logs. But yeah, I've seen thousands of flex lines running right under logs.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 10:45 PM

We use rigid 3/8" log lighters with blue flame chamber. However, FP run on propane do routinely have gas flex inside the combustion chamber.
    biofish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 12:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hoossbigs View Post
    They are fine, however, putting a smaller diamater flex as a 3/8 you tend to get a wisstle with a system such as logs. But yeah, I've seen thousands of flex lines running right under logs.
    I did install it.. and DO notice the whistle.. I am doing another fireplace exactly the same. You are saying that a SMALLER diameter flex line will decrease the noise?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does gas emit in the house when pilot light of gas fireplace goes out? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gas fireplace and on a windy day the pilot light actually went out. My dad said that even though the pilot light isn't on it's emitting gas into the house- which is a health hazard, but I thought that as long as the switch that turns on the light is off there is no risk. Can anyone tell me...

What kind of flex gas line to use on cooking appliance [ 5 Answers ]

I am referring to an application at a high school snack bar , moveable (for cleaning only), The line existing is metal flex w/yellow plastic coating. Is there a code , or industry standard , that would require this spific type of gas flex line? Thanks, Tim

Fireplace gas line [ 1 Answers ]

Am installing a 40,000 BTU gas fireplace. One plumber said I need the line to go from the meter (80 ft) for $2850. Another said I can go from the main gas feed for $725 (40 ft to fireplace). Other gas appliances within 10 ft of main feed is furnace, gas dryer, gas range & hot water heater. House...

Gas line to a gas fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing gas fireplace place in my home that I moved 1'0" to the right. There is a copper tubing with a shut off and then flex tubing connecting to the fireplace. I am trying to add additional copper tubing on to the existing so I can extend everything to reach the new location for the...

Attaching Flex Natural Gas line. [ 2 Answers ]

I am attaching a new fex gas line to a new cook top. The new line comes with flare fittings that screw into the flex hose fitting. Should I use any sealant on the threads of the flare fitting. Thanks.

View more questions Search