Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonesla Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 10:04 AM
    My ex husband won't sign passport consent form
    I have two teenage daughters, one being of legal age to obtain a passport and the other is not. My ex and I communicate only through email and I have emailed him several times of a planned vacation overseas next summer requesting a letter of consent for the youngest who is 15. My daughters have followed up by asking him several times to read the email and then outright about the letter I need for the passport in which he ignores them or says "they need to discuss" and then never does. I have given him all the details of the trip but he is not expressing his concerns as to why he will not sign or address this in anyway. Can I file a motion?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 01:58 PM

With all the stories of one parent taking the children out of the country for "a visit" or "vacation" and then not returning I would be worried too. Turn this around for a second, What would you do if your husband was a foreign national and took the girls for "a vacation" to see Grandma in oh lets say Iran and now you never get to see your children again? Don't get me wrong I am not saying that this is what is going to happen, but I can understand his worries about the possibility. Maybe you need to talk to him in person and explain to him you reasons for taking this vacation now and why you feel it is necessary to take the girls with you. If he is reasonable, maybe he will listen. Then again, maybe he is simply being hard headed?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Oct 27, 2008, 02:08 PM

There is a remedy allowed for this. I too have a similar situation. Rather than requesting via email request via certified US mail and keep track of all attempts. It is important to follow the rules set forth to provide proof that you have tried to obtain consent and that the other party is unwilling.
    It doesn't mean that it will be accepted for sure, but it is a place to start.

NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Passport for a 5yr old without bio fathers consent [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in australia, dose anyone know how I would go about a passport for my 5yr old son without his bio fathers consent? There has been demestic violence restraining order, that has now exp. He has also not seen him for over 4yrs and never wanted anything to do with him, he has always refused to pay...

Travelling With My Daughter But Cannot Get A Hold Of Her Father To Sign Consent Form. [ 14 Answers ]

I am in real need of an answer... as quickly as possible. I am planning to travel to Tacoma, Washington (USA) from Toronto, Ontario (CANADA) on August 19, 2008. I have a 3-year old daughter who will be coming along with me. The only problem is, I was told I need a consent form signed by her father...

Non custodial dad won't sign consent to travel letter [ 24 Answers ]

My husband and I want to take a trip back to his home, which is in Nova Scotia. I have joint custody of my daughter with my ex husband. The trip would only be for about 8 days and we've done this trip before. Now, because my ex is upset with me (I questioned the issue of him parading our...

Parental consent form [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I am 17 years of age and I live in California. I want to get married in Arizona. In Arizona all you need is a notarized parental consent form. But I don't need my parent present to get my marriage licenese. Would a consent form from California be valid in Arizona and where would I get a...

View more questions Search