Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harrylong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Garbage disposal leak at mounting gasket
    I just installed a new sink and my wife wanted a new drainer basket, old one was a little scratched up. I purchased one that was compatible with my disposal. But I am having a leak at the mounting gasket. I can't seem to get the lower mounting ring any tighter. My wife wanted to know why I was using a hammer to do plumbing. I told her I was doing well I only have made two trips to Home Depot, my usual is four for any project. No leaking at the sink flange and sink but between the sink flange and the mounting gasket (rubber seal that goes over the top of the actual disposal.

Anyone know what else to try, or should I order another mounting gasket.

Thanks
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 07:48 PM

Hell Harrylong.

I hope that you have used enough plmbers putty, please click on each link below will give you an idea hot to fix the leak and yor wife will be proud of you, good luck.

John

Installing a Garbage Disposer Tutorial

How To & Help - How to Replace a Garbage Disposal

Garbage Disposal Troubleshooting - Fixing a Garbage Disposer
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2008, 09:08 PM

Would be great if you listed brand of your disposer. I assume you are using ISE disposer...

The mounting ring has 3 protrusions. These protrusions grab onto strainer collar that is installed through the sink. All 3 protrusions have to be positively grabbing the strainer. If one is not, it will leak. This is probably your problem. You may think they are all engaged, but one is not. Also, make sure that mounting ring is screwed in as far as it goes. First, tighten it with both hands and then take a hammer and tap it several times to tighten it bit more.
    harrylong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Sorry it is a Kenmore disposer. I have made sure that the three rings are interlocked (first time not so much) and have taken a hammer and tapped as far as it will go. It is only leaking when the basin is full and then the plug is pulled. Normal waterflow does not cause any leaks.

I am stumped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink leak at garbage disposal flange [ 2 Answers ]

I have a re-occurring problem with the flange in the bottom of my stainless steel sink. I have installed it several times over the years and it will leak after time. I put plumbers putty under it and it holds the longest, but after time it seems to dry up and start to seep again. I have tried a dry...

Garbage disposal [ 8 Answers ]

I want to put a garbage disposal in my restaurant but I am not sure if it will work with my sink. I have a standard commercial sink with about a 1 1/2" drain. Can anyone tell me what is involved if anything to complete this project?

Small leak between garbage disposal and sink [ 5 Answers ]

I've noticed a little water in the cabinet under my sink. Finally figured it leaks a little where the garbage disposal connects to the bottom of the sink. Can I expect to just pull the disposal and replace a rubber washer or something or will I need anything else to take care of this? Any...

Garbage disposal [ 1 Answers ]

The disposal won't was hall the crud down the drain

Garbage disposal [ 1 Answers ]

I have never had a problem running my garbage disposal before until I replaced it with a bigger and better one. Now my disposal backs up, and when I run the disposal, it backs up into the adjoining sink! Please help! Hi Mom, Sounds like you have a clog in the lateral, (horizontal ) pipe in...

View more questions Search